Rock in the ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhho

Nov 2, 2003
West
Visit site
hi! this was taken last summer in taiwan southern part near the Kenting National Park.
and the time was about afternoon 2pm

original.aspx

I would like to get your feedback on the following
1) composition is it okay?
2) exposure correct?
3) I'm using olympus master 2 for post processing. any comments?
4) I'm interested in shooting landscape. any tips or hints for further improvement

Here's shooting information
Camera: Olympus E-300
Lens: Olympus 14-45mm f3.5/5.6
Lens Adapter: None
ISO: 100
Aperture: f20
Shutter Speed: 1/160s
Exposure compensation -1.0EV
Focal Length: 14mm
Flash: No
Tripod/Monopod: No

thank you very much for your comments and feedback.

cheers,

Last edited:
your horizon is tilted. :)

your horizon is tilted, and your colors seem very muted and flat.

And the rock is not in the ocean...

Can you smelllllllllllllllllllll..what's the rock is cookin?

hehe just joking lah

Btw noticed that the horizon is tilted but i like it though, my style of shooting too. Is It neccassary not tilt them??
OOF the Rock.

Too dull for a landscape shot, the sky lack clouds. Could have use a ND to increase the shutter time to make the wave look beautiful.

It is a pain that a 14mm become a 28 on 4/3. The frame still look very narrow.

1- I suggest you flickr more landscape examples to get the "right" landscaping tones.
2- I would have done it in landscape mode - [its landscape after all] - with the rock on the left and the vast ocean on the right; hopefully with some fluffy puffy low clouds too. What you've shown here is that amount in the foreground which is unnecessary. My eyes were drawn to the whitewashed waves.

Good try, and keep shooting!

If the rock was your intended subject, why the need to include all that foreground mess?

The scene is also very flat. Looks like its taken in midday sun.

Probably you might want to crop off the top portion (containing the rock), and left with the 'teh' coming into the sea of 'milk'. Rename the title and emphasize on the milky sea. :)

This shot reminds me of chinese landscape paintings.... perhaps the composition could include less sky making the thick sea foam look like clouds.

I think theres also some sea spray on your lens/filter. :confused: water drops.

after gather all your comments, I have uploaded the revised version - less sky and zoom in closer to the rock

original.aspx

Another version will be removed the rock and rename it as "milky sea" as follows

original.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.