Robert Capa's Attire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisYeo

Mar 22, 2004
Wonder if anyone knows what Robert Capa usually wore when on assignments specifically during the the second world war. The resources I've checked showed conflicting versions between a paratrooper's jumpsuit and a regular infantryman's garb. I know this sounds mundane but I'm trying to build a 1/6 action figure to his specs, so i'd like to know. Anyone seen any photos of him? (Just trying my luck)

ChrisYeo said:
Wonder if anyone knows what Robert Capa usually wore when on assignments specifically during the the second world war. The resources I've checked showed conflicting versions between a paratrooper's jumpsuit and a regular infantryman's garb. I know this sounds mundane but I'm trying to build a 1/6 action figure to his specs, so i'd like to know. Anyone seen any photos of him? (Just trying my luck)

you got a 1/6 lecia? toy version? there are quite a few nikon cameras from HK toy companies.

Err not sure if I remember correctly, but in his autobiography, he was featured in different battle fatigues.

Check out his bio. Got lots of pix. ;)

I was lucky enough to have the chance to visit A Robert Capa exhibition at the Ebisu Photo Museum during my visit to Tokyo. There were one or two pictures of him. In them, he was wearing about the same clothing as the soldiers he was travelling with. I'm not an expert on battle gear, but I think they were ordinary ground troops. The pictures were all B&W so I guess the uniforms would be khaki? :)

That exactly is my problem as he landed at Normandy with regular infantry divisions as well as being shot (on film) in an airborne jumpsuit. Am trying to get my hands on his books at the libraries.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Chris

You should go watch this program 'honour and valour' (i think) on discovery channel. Caught it a few days back..really great..shows reenacments of how Capa got some of his shots during d-day. I believe on a military transport ship was where his famous 'if your picture is not good enough, you're not close enough' line came from.

In the documentary, he was depicted as having a conversation with two other photographers/filmographers in a military transport ship on its way to France (however, this was the false start of d-day, where the invasion was delayed due to bad weather).

In this conversation, one photographer raised that it was safer to stick with the E Company, as they were behind the first wave of infantry to land on the beach. He also raised that C Company was dangerous as they were part of the first wave of infantry.

However, Capa went and asked, 'Where's the action?'.
The other photographer replied, 'The action's everywhere'.
Capa then said, 'well, if your picture is not good enough, you're not close enough'.

Well, that's roughly what i can remember from the docmentary, some parts may be wrong but mostly correct. I think he was wearing the same battle fatigues as the infantry men, but I wasn't really paying attention... =p good luck in finding what he wore and the model...=)

'well, if your picture is not good enough, you're not close enough' :)

IMGP0187sbw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.