Rob Galbraith: Photoshopped images disquailified

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
The National Press Photographers Association features a story on a Danish photojournalist who was disqualified from his country's version of a picture-of-the-year contest for manipulating an image. More of the images can be viewed on this site.

More...

This is getting out of hand.

Shall we have a section for shots without manipulation? This will encourage our photographers to produce works that are original, untouched, based on their creativity and skills, and not based on Photoshop skills and manipulation.

Might be difficult. Does smoothing model skin consider manipulation?

How feasible is a non-Photoshopped only requirement? It is now such an integral part of the workflow. Especially in correcting digital inherent issues such as dust spots and color casts.

This is getting out of hand.

Shall we have a section for shots without manipulation? This will encourage our photographers to produce works that are original, untouched, based on their creativity and skills, and not based on Photoshop skills and manipulation.

like i always say,

if the image is nonsense in the first place, give it to any photoshop god, he will produce nonsense also.

You sure or not? :sticktong

[vid]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dJujKM635s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dJujKM635s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/vid]

like i always say,

if the image is nonsense in the first place, give it to any photoshop god, he will produce nonsense also.

Might be difficult. Does smoothing model skin consider manipulation?

You may post-process the images electronically in accordance with good practice. That is cropping, burning, dodging, converting to black and white as well as normal exposure and color correction, which preserves the image's original expression.

guess anything more is consider manipulation.

like i always say,

this i dont really agree. photoshop artist can crop the part they want and edit the background and subject giving it a different look all together.

You sure or not? :sticktong

[vid]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dJujKM635s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8dJujKM635s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/vid]

you got see how badly liquify affects images or not, if not , go and try yourself.

come out the image will not be suitable for anything other than small small small print.

this i dont really agree. photoshop artist can crop the part they want and edit the background and subject giving it a different look all together.

then it doesn't matter, that is photoshop collage, not a photograph, and there is no competition currently that i know of that allows this without it being in a specific section for such artistic expression.

you got see how badly liquify affects images or not, if not , go and try yourself.

come out the image will not be suitable for anything other than small small small print.

Who cares, as long as a manipulated photo looks nice, you don't care right?

Anyway, we're not talking about prints here.

then it doesn't matter, that is photoshop collage, not a photograph, and there is no competition currently that i know of that allows this without it being in a specific section for such artistic expression.

ya, it's consider a photoshop artwork and not a photograph.

just replying to your statement of "if the image is nonsense in the first place, give it to any photoshop god, he will produce nonsense also." ;p

Aren't we on this topic? :bsmilie:

i don't know, i don't agree with that guy's works either, it reeks of radioactiveness that i always speak up against here.

like i always say, surrealism is alright, but it should still be grounded in reality, and only for certain things, like landscapes is more resililent to "surrealism" than portraits, etc.

of course, only the end result matters, but for certain genres, especially journalism, then manipulation until it is not even close to what the eye sees, then i cannot agree.

it is really not fair to make a sweeping statement that "out of camera images" are pure expression of creativity alone. what then of vision? what then of limited dynamic range to be captured by the camera's sensor? there are many things that cannot be achieved out-of-camera, are we going to say that they are less in terms of any merit just because they needed further massaging in photoshop?

that is merely the point i wanted to make.

that will depend what the picture is for. if it's for a photography competition then i dont agree that you should edit anything at all.

Aren't we on this topic? :bsmilie:

he got dq'ed what..

aiya, web size only, where got zhun, blurry image also can look sharp if you do it properly and resize it enough.. :bsmilie:

that will depend what the picture is for. if it's for a photography competition then i dont agree that you should edit anything at all.

so you are certain that your dslr produces what your eye sees?

this is an age old argument, even black and white is distortion of reality, even burn and dodge in dark room is not straight out of camera.. :)

It's just a suggestion to create a section for non-manipulated images to be shared here, so that we can see for ourselves how good/bad our photography skills are. I doubt a lot of us here will be able to take splendid shots (myself included) out of the camera.

i don't know, i don't agree with that guy's works either, it reeks of radioactiveness that i always speak up against here.

like i always say, surrealism is alright, but it should still be grounded in reality, and only for certain things, like landscapes is more resililent to "surrealism" than portraits, etc.

of course, only the end result matters, but for certain genres, especially journalism, then manipulation until it is not even close to what the eye sees, then i cannot agree.

it is really not fair to make a sweeping statement that "out of camera images" are pure expression of creativity alone. what then of vision? what then of limited dynamic range to be captured by the camera's sensor? there are many things that cannot be achieved out-of-camera, are we going to say that they are less in terms of any merit just because they needed further massaging in photoshop?

that is merely the point i wanted to make.

It's just a suggestion to create a section for non-manipulated images to be shared here, so that we can see for ourselves how good/bad our photography skills are. I doubt a lot of us here will be able to take splendid shots (myself included) out of the camera.

nah, i am just expressing my viewpoint.. i also don't mind, just stating my take on it. :)

forum is for sharing of viewpoint, got more section also ok, after all, sometimes pictures really can just post out of camera, but not always one has the correct type of light, lighting, then have to use other methods to put forth the vision due to various limitations, i.e. time, circumstance, vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.