Roadtrip in Malaysia, any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Hi guys, with regards to my another thread: My life is taking quite a toll on me, i want an low budget roadtrip - where to?

I have a good friend who's considering to make this trip with me, but he can't give me a reply until sunday (16th) night.
So meantime, i'd like to ask if there's anyone who want to join me for this trip if my friend couldn't make it?

I intend to make it from 19th (wed) to 23rd (sun) Apr 2006. It's just next week, yes i know it's rush; And be warned this is not a 100% planned trip, so we just basically make reservation for the car rental and train tix, and we're off with a lonely planet guidebook, a map and a backpack!! So it'll be good for people who just got laid off his/her work, or have very flexible working schedule and want some time to getaway from Singapore (hopefully as much as i do!).

Note that it's NOT a purely photography trip. It's more like a shoestring backpacking roadtrip. In another word, there's no such thing as everything 100% of the trip is planned for, and no need to make a huge list of what to see, what to take pictures, etc... The only things we'll be bounded is the train schedule, and no. of days we book the car.

This will be a very budget trip, therefore if more people go, the lower each of us has to pay for the car rental. S$250 will be my overall budget. And we'll be expected to eat cheaply and stay at the cheapest accomodation available. You must be able to drive too, so we can take turns

The basic layout of this trip follows:

- Singapore to JB by bus
- JB train terminal travel up to Penang (stopover at KL. Will take less than 20hrs for the train ride, and we'll take the sleeping berth for the night journey - relatively cheap)
- Rent a car from Penang
- Drive across northern malaysia east-ward along highway 4 - probably the most beautiful route in malaysia. There will be a huge lake - I hope it's gonna be beautiful as we'll be crossing 2 long bridges. Parts of the journey is through mountains, where we'll be 800 to 1000m above sea level, sometimes we'll be driving at altitude higher than the clouds.
- Reach the East coast at Kota Bharu or Trengganu... Can tour around the place, take pictures, etc...
- Drive along the Eastern coastal route straight towards JB
- Return the car at JB
- Back to SG.

I might have to check with the car rental company if we intend to prolong our journey by 1 or 2 days until Tuesday max, is it possible to just pay the extra days with no further surcharge. Well that is, just in case we find the eastern coast really beautiful and want to stop by many places...

So anyone up for it? If you feel you need to know me better to consider to do the trip with me, worry not! Below are the various options where you could know me better:

MSN : behyx@hotmail.com
Friendster: http://www.friendster.com/profiles/photographer

I'm Daniel, turning 24 this year, but my clients ever said i look 18.. :dunno: Currently full-time photographer.

Y 19th (wed) to 23rd (sun) Apr 2006?? ur off day?? can change another day??
if can , i can drive m car n join,then no need to rent car...

joey91 said:
Y 19th (wed) to 23rd (sun) Apr 2006?? ur off day?? can change another day??
if can , i can drive m car n join,then no need to rent car...

Well, i have a wedding to cover on the 29th, so i want to make it before that, and preferably some days to rest before the wedding.
Why? Which days do you prefer?

AReality said:
Looks like U grown a little wider.. :)

Wider? Hmm those pictures are taken sometime back. Now due to work and all, i've became narrower.

behyx said:
Well, i have a wedding to cover on the 29th, so i want to make it before that, and preferably some days to rest before the wedding.
Why? Which days do you prefer?

actually my work is run shift (permenent night) if didn't hv ot,then my off day are sunday till tuesday/wednesday... so got 3/4 days...
u wedding on 29th?? Congrats...
so wat ur budget per person??

joey91 said:
actually my work is run shift (permenent night) if didn't hv ot,then my off day are sunday till tuesday/wednesday... so got 3/4 days...
u wedding on 29th?? Congrats...
so wat ur budget per person??

Haha! Don't get it wrong, it's not my wedding ;p

My budget per person is S$250. You are staying in JB right? So that works out to be around RM550. But of course if you're going too, and driving your car means we could save around half of the cost - Which can either means an even lower budget! You get what i mean?
Actually i don't mind doing it from Sunday to Wednesday, 4 days. It'll be absolutely cool :)
If you want, you can add me on MSN (behyx@hotmail.com) and we can discuss more later this afternoon. I'm going to have a meeting with my clients soon.

I'm back from my meeting and who else is interested in this trip?

:what: :what: :what: :what: :what:

Uppzz la bro.
Having exams. :)
Hur hur....Enjoy the trip!

Paperkurt said:
Uppzz la bro.
Having exams. :)
Hur hur....Enjoy the trip!

Sad lah... almost everybody around me is either working, or mugging. :( :(

AReality said:
I don't have driving license.
But I can try to drive. ;p

Highway straight road. Rest your foot on the accelerator and vroom.... easy as a b c. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to learn driving :)

Yeah!

3 people (incl me) are going for this roadtrip!

Some changes: The trip is from 23rd (sun) to 26th (wed) Apr 2006.

Slight changes to the itinerary:

- JB train terminal travel up to Penang (stopover at KL. Will take less than 20hrs for the train ride, and we'll take the sleeping berth for the night journey - relatively cheap)
- Rent a car from Penang
- Drive across northern malaysia east-ward along highway 4 - probably the most beautiful route in malaysia. There will be a huge lake - I hope it's gonna be beautiful as we'll be crossing 2 long bridges. Parts of the journey is through mountains, where we'll be 800 to 1000m above sea level, sometimes we'll be driving at altitude higher than the clouds.
- Reach the East coast at Kota Bharu
- Take train back to JB

Calculated the cost:
- Train tix is : approx RM100 each pax (sleeper berth on night train)
- Car rental (estimate incl petrol n toll) split amongst 3 people : RM180 each pax

So plus backpacker style lodging and eating, the S$250 budget might be able to re-adjust to S$200 or even lower! :)

Anyone else wanna join us?

Status
Not open for further replies.