Roadside Tailor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDSNP

Dec 17, 2003
Australia
www.flickr.com
Was walking around Little India and took a shot of this tailor who plies his trade by the roadside. Comments welcomed! :)

Roadside-Tailor.jpg

GDSNP said:
Was walking around Little India and took a shot of this tailor who plies his trade by the roadside. Comments welcomed! :)

Roadside-Tailor.jpg

hmm to me, the focus does not seem sharp

IMO a picture doesnt have to be sharp to be nice. If you can try to increase the shallow DOF, it should probably look better. Well personal opinion :)

a tad oversaturated perhaps??

This is an interesting human interest photo
It looks like well composed by put the point-of-interest off-center

However, it's probably better if the old man doesn't looks like giving you a pose
It might be better if he's doing something with sewing machine

Good picture, nothing wrong with regarding saturation, focus, subject pose, etc.

Some suggestions:
* Framing a tad little too tight on the main subject. Would be great if you zoomed out just a little
* The metal container at the right end of the photo is indeed distracting

makes for an interesting journalism photo..

I agree, the container with the papers on it is distracting...maybe crop it a little. I love his hands and eye brows! Good job! :)

you didnt connect with your subject

exfiltrate said:
you didnt connect with your subject

what do you mean by that?

he got eye contact...

and i think if you're taking pictures of people its always good to get close unless theres an interesting environment you want to show him in

I like the subject's eyes. His expression and his hands tell the story. :)

I think cropping tighter will help make those elements even stronger. Lose the drink machine on the right and some of the space on the left. Crop tight at the top (even losing the very top of his hair). Crop the bottom, but leave some breathing room under his hands.

The slight lean in the door frame on the right of his head is mildly disturbing -- you might want to straighten it, or not (I just nitpicking ;) )

The lines along the aluminium door draws your attention to the subject. I like that.

Thanks to all who commented.

richliow, I agree that it's not very sharp. Btw, it looks sharper on PS but when I upload it to Photobucket, somehow I feel certain details were lost.. Especially on the face. Any idea why?

jimbok, yeah.. Will take note of that.. :)

kristupa, I thought so too.. But he has no business and was just sitting there waiting for one. ;p

GDSNP said:
Thanks to all who commented.

richliow, I agree that it's not very sharp. Btw, it looks sharper on PS but when I upload it to Photobucket, somehow I feel certain details were lost.. Especially on the face. Any idea why?

jimbok, yeah.. Will take note of that.. :)

kristupa, I thought so too.. But he has no business and was just sitting there waiting for one. ;p

Maybe its due to compression of the image file when published on the web. I am no expert though... =)

Thanks Gunbucker. I always have a tendency to go closer to my subjects.. Will try a wider framing next time. I also think that white cabinet and the coloured posters were distracting.. :)

Thanks for your comments, danlin. :)

Thanks paxluv, I tried cropping but think the results ain't good..

Thanks exfiltrate.. But can u elaborate more?

Thanks kentay, I agree.. I always like to go close.. Oh well.. Maybe that's because I am thickskinned.. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Edwin Francis, thanks for your advice.. Will try that. :) Actually I didn't really noticed the slight lean of the door frame until u mentioned it. U really have sharp eyes.. :)

Thanks seankyh. Glad to know that you like it. :)

richliow said:
Maybe its due to compression of the image file when published on the web. I am no expert though... =)
I'm no expert as well.. Haha

GDSNP said:

Roadside-Tailor.jpg

nice pic and subject ... but agree colours seem a little over saturated... and a more natural pose would have been better... or even one of him at work.

I would like to find out... how did you ask him to pose for you? Did you just ask him nicely? :)

jdredd said:
nice pic and subject ... but agree colours seem a little over saturated... and a more natural pose would have been better... or even one of him at work.

Thanks jdredd. Will try a not so saturated one and see how's the response. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.