roadside chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaren

Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
40320503.jpg

somehow i think the composition is making a statement ... i am not trained in photography, so it's just a strong feeling for me, and it made me think harder what this picture is trying to say to me ... this title came to my mind ... 'discarded, and desperately trying to blend in' ... not sure why i think that way also ... very nice lighting btw :)

thx eikin.....the title u suggested is more apt... :)

khairi said:
looks like anti fashion statement!

nice.

Will actually be a superb anti-fashion statement if there's a model (don't even need to be a photogenic one) wearing some designer label clothes that has the same vertical strips as those of the chair, sitting or standing next to the chair.

The_Cheat said:
Will actually be a superb anti-fashion statement if there's a model (don't even need to be a photogenic one) wearing some designer label clothes that has the same vertical strips as those of the chair, sitting or standing next to the chair.

hmm....can u model for me? the chairs are still there...near my orpeet.

;p

The_Cheat said:

:think: sounds interesting, make the model wear something with stripes of similar colour combination and put the model on the right standing with arms crossed, giving the intimidating stare into the camera ... and title it 'unwanted attention' ... haha, just some wild thoughts

eikin said:
:think: sounds interesting, make the model wear something with stripes of similar colour combination and put the model on the right standing with arms crossed, giving the intimidating stare into the camera ... and title it 'unwanted attention' ... haha, just some wild thoughts

stare i dun mind....just dun wave some lethal weapon at me! :eek:

zaren said:
stare i dun mind....just dun wave some lethal weapon at me! :eek:
we can also stage the model holding a can of (supposedly) kerosene about to burn down everything ... :bsmilie: this is getting wilder :devil: the metal can is going to be such a statement against the stripes with that kind of lighting

zaren said:
hmm....can u model for me? the chairs are still there...near my orpeet.

;p

Wah! Damn sarcastic leh... double-edged meaning hor!? :nono:

Anyway, I'll give some proper comments later on your picture, when I have the mood to!! :bsmilie:

zaren said:

As promised, some proper comments on your picture...

There are a few aspects which I really like in your picture:
(a) the strong vertical lines between the gate and the chairs, as well as the vertical grills that distributed throughout the background of the shot, forms a marked contrast to a usual horizontal stance that a landscape format gives. The contrast is really good in this case of not forcing people to gravitate towards any single object through an initial glance, but rather to appreciate the lines first, and the details later. This aspect alone makes it a keeper! :thumbsup:

(b) the lighting (may I hazard a guess that this is about 5.30 to 6pm in the evening?) cast a very strong shadow within the chair itself, making it stand up in a 2D picture. The exposure you'd made with the available lighting also diminished the presence of the gate, forcing the viewer to focus on the chairs instead. Nice! :D

(c) the colour-cast, which again is probably due to the evening glow (don't know whether you did anything to alter the cast or not, and it doesn't really matter if you do it anyway!) potentially provided more meaning in the picture (depending on the viewer of course!). To me, yellow usually provide a rather positive feel; this is in contrast with the background which is rather shadowry or dull-brownish (gate) which has a more depressing feeling. And on top of that, the yellow cast is mainly projected on an "abandoned" object. These interplays have provided to me, at least, some abstract thoughts. Splendid! :thumbsup:

Okay, before you start floating on cloud nine, I should bring you back to earth for a moment with a few "complaints"!
(a) a common problem that I usually face when viewing your pictures, is your reluctance to go lower. I definitely feel that the positive feeling on the chair is very much muted, with you looking down onto it... Wouldn't it be better if you could level with the subject?

(b) Not enough foreground... just a little bit more of foreground with debris would probably make the whole scene look more complete.

(c) What's the deal with the debris at the right hand bottom corner?

(d) The white areas that are seen between the gates are a minor distraction. Then again, I think I'm just nit-picking on this aspect. It's not fatal anyway... just that perhaps it doesn't suit the mood that much!

On the whole, I still think that this is a keeper. Hmm... can I get a copy of the picture from you? Sell me lah! :D

Zar,

This is one good photo. The lighting makes it better. The strong vertical lines ... somehow makes me think ... it's like a couple in striped pyjamas ... facing away from each other ... something like a 'WE ARE NOT TALKING ANYMORE' kind of thing ... am I making sense? :bsmilie:

The_Cheat said:
As promised, some proper comments on your picture...

There are a few aspects which I really like in your picture:
(a) the strong vertical lines between the gate and the chairs, as well as the vertical grills that distributed throughout the background of the shot, forms a marked contrast to a usual horizontal stance that a landscape format gives. The contrast is really good in this case of not forcing people to gravitate towards any single object through an initial glance, but rather to appreciate the lines first, and the details later. This aspect alone makes it a keeper! :thumbsup:

(b) the lighting (may I hazard a guess that this is about 5.30 to 6pm in the evening?) cast a very strong shadow within the chair itself, making it stand up in a 2D picture. The exposure you'd made with the available lighting also diminished the presence of the gate, forcing the viewer to focus on the chairs instead. Nice! :D

(c) the colour-cast, which again is probably due to the evening glow (don't know whether you did anything to alter the cast or not, and it doesn't really matter if you do it anyway!) potentially provided more meaning in the picture (depending on the viewer of course!). To me, yellow usually provide a rather positive feel; this is in contrast with the background which is rather shadowry or dull-brownish (gate) which has a more depressing feeling. And on top of that, the yellow cast is mainly projected on an "abandoned" object. These interplays have provided to me, at least, some abstract thoughts. Splendid! :thumbsup:

Okay, before you start floating on cloud nine, I should bring you back to earth for a moment with a few "complaints"!
(a) a common problem that I usually face when viewing your pictures, is your reluctance to go lower. I definitely feel that the positive feeling on the chair is very much muted, with you looking down onto it... Wouldn't it be better if you could level with the subject?

(b) Not enough foreground... just a little bit more of foreground with debris would probably make the whole scene look more complete.

(c) What's the deal with the debris at the right hand bottom corner?

(d) The white areas that are seen between the gates are a minor distraction. Then again, I think I'm just nit-picking on this aspect. It's not fatal anyway... just that perhaps it doesn't suit the mood that much!

On the whole, I still think that this is a keeper. Hmm... can I get a copy of the picture from you? Sell me lah! :D

thx for your detailed comments, as usual!

sure...one copy reserved for you. FOC. what size do u want?

:)

renegade said:
Zar,

This is one good photo. The lighting makes it better. The strong vertical lines ... somehow makes me think ... it's like a couple in striped pyjamas ... facing away from each other ... something like a 'WE ARE NOT TALKING ANYMORE' kind of thing ... am I making sense? :bsmilie:

thx bro... yes you are making sense. it opens up a new level of perception for me too. :D

i like, only thing is the shadows are too dark. see nothing just a black patch.

zaren said:
thx for your detailed comments, as usual!

sure...one copy reserved for you. FOC. what size do u want?

:)

8R. I'll pay you for the cost of the print at least lah, plus one cup of kopi! :D

eikin said:

For your into in the Fashion industry, if you make a model wear stripes again it will not match with the setup. Infact, it is always the setup have to match with what the model is wearing. Not the other way round. As the model will blend in too much and the audience will be unable to see the actual clothing.

For this setup, the model has to wear a plain, NO STRIPES or PATTERNS or FLOWERS to bring out the label of the clothes. Second is the colour has to be subtle, something close to natural colours like natural green, light brown, faded pink, sky blue and so on.

As for Auntie zaren,

Did you up this image on the contrast and lower down the brightness too much? I think is would nice to see some details on the top left corner. Other than that, I think it's a nice photo.

thank you

Pro Image said:
For your into in the Fashion industry, if you make a model wear stripes again it will not match with the setup. Infact, it is always the setup have to match with what the model is wearing. Not the other way round. As the model will blend in too much and the audience will be unable to see the actual clothing.

For this setup, the model has to wear a plain, NO STRIPES or PATTERNS or FLOWERS to bring out the label of the clothes. Second is the colour has to be subtle, something close to natural colours like natural green, light brown, faded pink, sky blue and so on.

As for Auntie zaren,

Did you up this image on the contrast and lower down the brightness too much? I think is would nice to see some details on the top left corner. Other than that, I think it's a nice photo.

thank you

nephew PI....

yes, contrast was upped and brightness lowered considerably for this image. the original has quite a lot of shadow detail, but i wanted the super saturated colours. it's possible to re-adjust the levels to show more shadow detail in the top left corner.

zaren said:
nephew PI....

yes, contrast was upped and brightness lowered considerably for this image. the original has quite a lot of shadow detail, but i wanted the super saturated colours. it's possible to re-adjust the levels to show more shadow detail in the top left corner.

auntie z,

if u shoot on raw mode, i think u should be able to bring out the shadow details. just want that tiny weeny shadow details. it's the dark black spot that spoils the whole photo. no need to bring out too much details. just enough to balance.

i think you should know what to use in PS right?

Pro Image said:

that's the point ... it was supposed to be an anti-fashion statement idea :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.