Road hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensman

Feb 12, 2002
Singapore & Hong Kong
For the past few weeks, I have noticed that carz are generally traveling at much slower pace than before.

For the initial moments, I tot that there are "known" speed traps ahead and therefore everyone is doing like 70 - 80km/h on the expressway.

In the recent days, that speed had been at a rediculious slow of 60 - 70kmh, at times down to 50kmh when there are no cars ahead for these group of road hogs.

Why ? These overpriced carz are trying to imitate or mocking us van drivers for not being legally allowed to sprint pass 70kmh is it ?

Apa lah

Petrol prices so high nowadays, maybe trying to conserve fuel? :)

gcck said:
Petrol prices so high nowadays, maybe trying to conserve fuel? :)
Is there a significant difference in fuel consumption when you travel a same distance at different speed?

There are "optimal" or "efficient" crusing speeds for each model of cars. Of course fuel conservation also depends on "best" driving habits like gradual aceleration; do not accelerate or brake too often or too suddenly, and do not overspeed etc..

Saw many TP on expressways and secondary roads recently, so it plays safe to drive slowly and safely, wish the TP catch all the speed demons and dangerous drivers.

Drudkh said:
Is there a significant difference in fuel consumption when you travel a same distance at different speed?
If you read the ST, there was a major article precisely on this topic, and all points to the fact that travelling slow = significant savings in fuel.

Drudkh said:
Yes there is...

There was an article by a Guiness Book of Records holder who had a record of >2000km (or is it 20,000 km) on one tank of fuel.

Drudkh said:

actually fuel consumption is indirectly linked to speed, as 'to speed' is to increase rev, den use more fuel lor... and engine also plays a part... those with turbo engine now should be eating bread liao... and they dui, cannot rev too hard, else machiam pouring money along the road....

Hi Lensman,

Yes... I noticed that too. I also noticed that people who drive road hogs tend to be using their mobile phones too while driving and they are not even using the hands-free set! :eek:

Just yesterday, I was driving and was stuck behind a mini-lorry that was going at 30km/h on a 50km/h road stretch. Guess what? The driver was reading the Shin Min Zhi Pao while driving.

lazyfiddler said:
Just yesterday, I was driving and was stuck behind a mini-lorry that was going at 30km/h on a 50km/h road stretch. Guess what? The driver was reading the Shin Min Zhi Pao while driving.
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

+evenstar said:
Yes there is...

There was an article by a Guiness Book of Records holder who had a record of >2000km (or is it 20,000 km) on one tank of fuel.
i think he just let the car roll on its own. :rolleyes:

btw i think there is alot of traps nowadays, and i notice that either the guy/gal up there (LTA) hates the TP, or loves me... cos there was once, last week or week before... i was driving down the KJE, then i saw the programmable sign on top reveal for a moment (TP IN FRONT...) den i from 130+ drop to 90+... den really... 1 TP under the bridge...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually fuel consumption is indirectly linked to speed, as 'to speed' is to increase rev, den use more fuel lor... and engine also plays a part... those with turbo engine now should be eating bread liao... and they dui, cannot rev too hard, else machiam pouring money along the road....

Airconditioner also plays a part...

Just came back from lunch. Had to drive out to meet the group for makan, using AYE and then South Bunea vista road.

Same thing happened. I overtook a few carz, driving 2nd lane, doing 60kmh !!
Yah, these overpriced cages are trying to mimic the 1st lane users, lorries and container trucks, doing at 50kmh. Saw a blue BMW tailing one of the container.

Aiyo, got $$$ for car and no $$ for fuel ah..... :dunno:

If they are not driving on the extreme right lane on expressway, I think they have the right to drive at slower speed lah.

I always wonder, Singapore is so small, even from Changi to Tuas is so short distance, why would ppl want to drive in high speed? Whats there to rush? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.