River View HDR needed your opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmingorion

Dec 22, 2007
Hi all,
This is my recent attempt in HDR. I need your advice on this HDR as it doesn't seem to look natural.

I'm using photoshop stack files to do this hdr and adjust the contrast and light level. This HDR is performed using 1 raw format file.

I dun really like the look of it as it doesn't look natural. May someone kindly share with me where i have gone wrong and how i can make my HDr look natural? Ijust can't seem to get the natural dark and bright balance right.

As i'm using MAc, i dun have photomatix in Mac version...so.....have to stick with photoshop cs3.

Thank you!

Just to clarify one point, you used only one frame to create a HDR?

Just to clarify one point, you used only one frame to create a HDR?

Hi, yes, i used 1 raw file, created 3 raw files of 3 different exposures and combine them using script>stack files to create this HDr.

I'm running a Mac and I use Photomatix Pro for my HDR stuff. Where did you look and not find a Mac version?

I'm running a Mac and I use Photomatix Pro for my HDR stuff. Where did you look and not find a Mac version?

Hi,
did u buy your photomatix pro for US$99?? that is all i found from the net.

haha HDR with a raw frame? though it might work here and there, thats like telling 3 gals that they are their only love at the same time.

haha HDR with a raw frame? though it might work here and there, thats like telling 3 gals that they are their only love at the same time.

huh?? What are u talking abt? Does my HDR not look like HDR or???:dunno::confused:

i find it still a little underexposed..
wat's the difference between the 3 raw files? maybe try wif -1stop and a +2stop

hi, maybe u can also help me with this:
How do one tell if a pic is under exposed when there is bright light from the sky? Actually the original pic has bright sky and the forground buildings and boat is under exposed.

Do u think i should increase the highlight more?

hi, maybe u can also help me with this:
How do one tell if a pic is under exposed when there is bright light from the sky? Actually the original pic has bright sky and the forground buildings and boat is under exposed.

Do u think i should increase the highlight more?

HDR images is suppose to bring out the details of highlights and shadows all in one..i feel tis pic can be further enhance..for ur pic, u manage to recover the highlights details of the sky, but the foreground still a little dark..
hmm..perhaps u want to try with more samples to create ur HDR..i.e. -1, 0, +1, +2..

Canon 40D has a nice feature for -2 0 +2 bracket images.This can be a great help if your doing hdr.I'm using (currently) 7exp brackted from D300.For you image,it seems ok I can't tell the difference much unless you have the original image to show.Photomatix is the best tool for me.Try not to create extra exposure with a single raw.There wouldn't be much dynamic range.If you're using Photomatix,there's an option to create a pseudo hdr with a single raw file.

Canon 40D has a nice feature for -2 0 +2 bracket images.This can be a great help if your doing hdr.I'm using (currently) 7exp brackted from D300.For you image,it seems ok I can't tell the difference much unless you have the original image to show.Photomatix is the best tool for me.Try not to create extra exposure with a single raw.There wouldn't be much dynamic range.If you're using Photomatix,there's an option to create a pseudo hdr with a single raw file.

Braketing will of course be great..but not forgetting the boat is not static..

hey guys, one question...if i dun use photomatix, is there no other way of increasing the tonal level or quality of this image? It seem like the more i try to make good, the worse it becomes. I try to increase the highlight, but then some areas become over exposed. And when i try to increase the midtone or shadow a little, the whole thing turns out too contrasty....

I dun know why it is, even my raw format file is not thaaat crisp and sharp like the nikon cameras. Sigh...this photography thing is getting more stressful and discouraging.... Anyone got any recommendations? go for photoshop class? Change camera? sianz........

hey guys, one question...if i dun use photomatix, is there no other way of increasing the tonal level or quality of this image? It seem like the more i try to make good, the worse it becomes. I try to increase the highlight, but then some areas become over exposed. And when i try to increase the midtone or shadow a little, the whole thing turns out too contrasty....

I dun know why it is, even my raw format file is not thaaat crisp and sharp like the nikon cameras. Sigh...this photography thing is getting more stressful and discouraging.... Anyone got any recommendations? go for photoshop class? Change camera? sianz........

Like I've said before,getting the best results (hdr in this case) you can never get with a single Raw.Unless,that shot have the closest exposure that is needed with enough dynamic range,you can still get a fair results.

Another thing is,the word raw is enough to tell you what it means ;).It's not the "end" or the final product to your shot.This is where post processing comes in.To get a sharp crisp shot,has nothing to do with N or C or any other brands.You have to nail it with your knowledge and never to blame your tool.

As far as I know,there are tons of infos online for photography.Just a click away my friend.:cool:

depends on your luck. if you are in a low light situation eg night shot HDR, which i tried many times, you will get more problems than daylight HDR, the low shutter speed for more exposure implies that the clouds have more time to move and distort, which translate to very obvious clones of cloud. so you will have to deal with such things.

meanwhile if you do with one raw, my personal stand is that it pretty much defeats the idea of HDR, coz i feel its all about getting the data of exposure on site with different settings, rather than push it through with raw adjustments, coz some things that should be there would never be there. sound purist, but i think its justifiable.

i wonder if people do mask cut and paste for HDR with objects such as moving boats?

depends on your luck. if you are in a low light situation eg night shot HDR, which i tried many times, you will get more problems than daylight HDR, the low shutter speed for more exposure implies that the clouds have more time to move and distort, which translate to very obvious clones of cloud. so you will have to deal with such things.

meanwhile if you do with one raw, my personal stand is that it pretty much defeats the idea of HDR, coz i feel its all about getting the data of exposure on site with different settings, rather than push it through with raw adjustments, coz some things that should be there would never be there. sound purist, but i think its justifiable.

i wonder if people do mask cut and paste for HDR with objects such as moving boats?

I've ever tried taking 2 pics and used them as overlay and erased the portions with a light power eraser on PS. It doesn't look that bad, but i tell u, it can never look as good as a natural looking HDR pic.

I've done a night HDR before. Man...was that difficult!!!!! But it is a challenge when all is taken.

Well, looks like i still have a lot of work to do.....

relax, take it easy, photography is suppose to be fun!

camera is just a tool, be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc there could be a couple of reasons y ur RAW file is not crisp and sharp. it could be wrong shutter speed, unstable ground, and some cams doesnt apply any/much sharpening when in RAW format

back to ur HDR, i agree it doesn look natural, its probably due to the luminosity. using only PS CS3 can be a pain in the butt. thou it has a HDR function, the only useful method is the "Local Adaption". its one of the better conversion available in CS3, only if u're well verse in PS curves. also when you create several exposures from a single RAW, make sure u check the exif, sometimes it will take the original values, so screwing up everything.

try to get hold of photomatix, and process ur RAW. i believe you're able to download the trial version, and yes its available for MAC.

BTW, after HDR and Tonemapped, you still need to process it.

hope tis help

relax, take it easy, photography is suppose to be fun!

camera is just a tool, be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc there could be a couple of reasons y ur RAW file is not crisp and sharp. it could be wrong shutter speed, unstable ground, and some cams doesnt apply any/much sharpening when in RAW format

back to ur HDR, i agree it doesn look natural, its probably due to the luminosity. using only PS CS3 can be a pain in the butt. thou it has a HDR function, the only useful method is the "Local Adaption". its one of the better conversion available in CS3, only if u're well verse in PS curves. also when you create several exposures from a single RAW, make sure u check the exif, sometimes it will take the original values, so screwing up everything.

try to get hold of photomatix, and process ur RAW. i believe you're able to download the trial version, and yes its available for MAC.

BTW, after HDR and Tonemapped, you still need to process it.

hope tis help

Hi marah,
Thanks for your comments.

What do u mean by check the EXif as sometimes it will take the original values and screwing up everything? I dun quite understand...

Yes, i will try to get photomatix for mac version. Looks like I really needed it to create a better HDR.

Hi marah,
Thanks for your comments.

What do u mean by check the EXif as sometimes it will take the original values and screwing up everything? I dun quite understand...

Yes, i will try to get photomatix for mac version. Looks like I really needed it to create a better HDR.

no worries!

on the EXIF, let me see if i can still find the article i read

Status
Not open for further replies.