Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
river-taxi-2.jpg

river-taxi-1.jpg

hi guys

was out shooting with my friends 40d + 17-40mm.
i have done this shot in expired sildes before, but was not satisfied with that composition, so went back to take afew more similar shots.

as you can see, the 2 shots here are taken seconds from each other.
top image seems more balance interm of the river taxi, cbd and boat quay
bottom image shows a main subject (river taxi) with background of cbd and boat quay.

i feel
the top image, the waterline leads in nicely to the boat and shows more of the cityscape
the bottom image emphasis more on the boat

for postcard, which will you choose?
for ad for the river taxi, which will you choose?

hi mod,

i know about the 1 image/week thingy in critique corner, but in this case, i am looking not for critique for 1 image but a comparison between 2 images for different purposes. i feel if i were to post the 2 images in different threads, i am afraid viewers cant have a comparison.

but if it is not permitted, pls delete the bottom image and i will post it up next week.

thanks.

I find the top image better. For bottom image, the boat is larger, but somehow does not seem large enough. Not sure why I feel that way, when I think the size of the boat in top image is OK.

I do find the boat a bit too dark, however. Some PP to make it stand out more may be good, if you can't re-shoot with fill in flash.

I'd choose top for both post card and ad. After all, river taxi ad is probably more about scenery than the boat itself.

Last edited:
i also prefer the top picture. it has a more balanced and realistic feel, the bottom taxi seems too big for the picture. Btw you might want to pp a bit, the buildings on top of the taxi seems slanted. No offense meant from a junior :)

i like both, but i prefer the second.
i feel that the boat from first pic is somewhat 'glued' to buildings. anyone feel the same way i do?
but the way you compose the picture, it somewhat give a suspense feeling of what the boat will be meeting ahead.

Hi Dennis,

You're going to find my comments very different from the rest, and here's why.

Your question was: Which would be chosen, aka, better for a SG scene type postcard, am I correct?

If that is correct, then the 2nd is the 'natural' answer.

Why?

Because, with the riverboat looming closer, and larger, it breaths more life and colour into the otherwise drab CBD BG shot. And we know that SG is always promoted as a vibrant, colourful city, not a drab, grey one.

The first shot, would appeal to most photographers, simply because it looks more balanced, albeit the slightly too tight on the left. But that's because they are looking at it through a photographers' eye, and not the eye that is looking to promote Singapore ... aka, in a 'post-card'.

Hope this helps some.

CHEERS!

thanks guys, for your feedback.

thanks dm. yes, that was what i felt about the bottom photo. i feel the top photo while it works with lead lines, balance composition as it show more of the boat quay while looking heavy on the left, which gives a sense of dynamic, but that is purely from photography view.

i have never done postcard and ad (dont intend too anyway cause still amerture lar), but i think they might have a slightly different requirement.

anway, more feedback pls.

thanks.

Last edited:
i prefer the latter. the former seems kinda heavy on the left side; as if something's missing on the right.
hope that lens is serving you well. was initially interested in getting it. ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.