River HongBao - Tenacious Lady! (part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

i had more pictures from yesterday night that i thought!

This little girl was so cute and tenacious, i decided to devote a whole thread to her :)

Look over there mum!
This was shot from waist level, the focus ended up on the mum instead. but nevertheless, i like it! The girl noticed something she interesting that she wants.......
CRW_4249L.jpg

Fishing for Gold
Turns out, she was curious at wat others were doing - playing the fishing of little yellow rubber duckies for prizes. Parents gave a helping hand as well, as you can see here!
CRW_4250L.jpg

Tenacious girl
Our tenacious little star knew wat she wants, and gets wat she wants! Here she decides to try for herself the game with hopes of winning a prize
CRW_4254L.jpg

Hi

Determined
This is the kind of grit, determination and hard work that will help ensure that this little girl succeed in life later on! A lady that knows wat she wants, and gets it ;p
CRW_4255L.jpg

Elation
Breaking into all smiles as she finally fishes a yellow duck and was given a choice of prizes - a little furry white stuffed toy (doggie) or a pack of toys. She chose the stuffed toy.
CRW_4256L.jpg

red dawn... could you share with us a few tips on how u grabbed these shots with a rather big camera :)

i still have this freaky fear of shooting people out in the streets. :(

Originally posted by quackaroo
red dawn... could you share with us a few tips on how u grabbed these shots with a rather big camera :)

Simple, just be thick skinned, remove that battery grip, and use a small cute lens. In short, use anything, just don't use a Sigma 20mm f1.8 (this one's damned big). :p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Simple, just be thick skinned, remove that battery grip, and use a small cute lens. In short, use anything, just don't use a Sigma 20mm f1.8 (this one's damned big). :p

Regards
CK

The 20mm Sigma f/1.8 big still never mind (Reddawn skin very thick), it's super not sharp, after shooting with this lens, he have to waste many hours sharpening the photos and no time to do other stuff ;p

Originally posted by quackaroo

Hi

first of all, i didn't "grab" these shots in the strictest sense of the word. i will there in full view of pple around, and openly pointed my camera at the little girl, and i was very near to her with my 35mm lens ;) i took my time composing as well, and i like to think i added to the situation a touch of humour, as there will be no doubt pple wondering wat i was doing and feeling very amused :)

actually, the D30 without the battery grip is a pretty discrete tool. Plus, the use of a prime lens (instead of those L zooms) limits the overall size of the camera - it actually becomes a pretty cute, harmless looking smallish SLR camera. Plus it's black, and hard to spot at night!

the trick is to act as if u have a right to be there - keep smiling at pple if they look at u, and then return to your viewfinder. Most pple wouldn't bother with u at all! Learn how to insert yourself into the midst of the action discretely - it's actually pretty simple once u try it out. Don't "excuse me excuse me" and push your way to the front - just blend in and make your way slowly to where the action is, and look like one of them. That means keeping that camera low until you actually need to take a shot.

i never ask permission to take a shot. I think most of the time, permission is silently granted when you hang around long enough and everyone knows u've got a camera. When everyone knows there's a "photographer" in the midst, they expect you to take some shots! For this little girl, i hung around that stall for some time until she appeared. So in a sense, i'm not a stranger there.

You need to at least participate a bit, and be interested in wat's happening. Don't just go in and point your camera at watever you see. That's quite a turn off. And you won't see wat u're shooting anyway in all that rush.

A wide angle lens is a must, certainly no more than true 50mm view of field. Most of the time u will be inside the action. You should be actually....i don't see how you can shoot anything with a long lens in large crowds! Try not to use flash, as it will almost certainly alert everyone to your presence. That means using high ISO / fast film, and using primes or lenses that are fast. But i think it's okay to use flash with slower lenses - it's not a hard rule. But high ISO / fast film is a must even if u use flash - you can at least maintain the ambient light and limit the output of your flash.

how? are u going to take your camera to the Singapore River Hongbao tonight? :)

Originally posted by ckiang

i think i've taken more candids and street photos with the Sigma 20 f1.8 than with any other lenses.

of course it's big - it has a big 1.8 aperture! Any Nikkor lens with a 1.8 aperture and 20mm? :)

Originally posted by Simon

The 20mm Sigma f/1.8 big still never mind (Reddawn skin very thick), it's super not sharp, after shooting with this lens, he have to waste many hours sharpening the photos and no time to do other stuff ;p

Not sharp? it's sharper than anything u have, right down to f1.8 ;) try that for size :)

Simon: it will be sharp if you get your picture in focus! :devil:

Seriously, the 20mm has become my favourite lens for street shooting. Yes, it's big and scary. Sometimes that's an advantage. People assume you're "working" and don't bother you.

It's great for shooting without looking through the viewfinder. You pretend to take a shot somewhere else, then bring it down and fiddle with the top LCD while aiming at your REAL subject, and take a few shots using autofocus, from chest level. Being a wide lens, there's a good chance of your subject being in the picture and being in focus.

The f1.8 is great for shooting in low light. Best of all, because the focal length is 20mm, camera shake is not much of a problem. You can go down to 1/10s exposure and still get a fairly sharp shot.

hehehe!!! streetshooter - i tried usin that technic when i wanna take pic of those knick-knack-stall .....but abit worried the stallholder will think i wanna steal their trade secret. but the pic ends up blurry anyway. oh well.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

i think i've taken more candids and street photos with the Sigma 20 f1.8 than with any other lenses.

of course it's big - it has a big 1.8 aperture! Any Nikkor lens with a 1.8 aperture and 20mm? :)

No, neither does any of the major camera makers. But I refuse to accept any lens with a filter thread size bigger than 77mm. Not only are filters expensive, it makes the lens big, ugly, and heavy. :p In fact, if I have a choice, I won't even take 77mm. :p

Anyway, interestingly, someone in dpreview.com said that the Sigma 20mm beats the Canon EF 16-35 f2.8L, which he said is not sharp. Hmm.... Hmmm..... Hmmmmmmmm....

Regards
CK

thanks red dawn.

im posting some of my pics i took today. and my exprerience. no not at river hong bao, but orchard. i think today helped me alot to overcome my fear. posting soon..

Nice pictures.. esp the one with the girl trying to hook something.

Status
Not open for further replies.