River Flow

nooby86

Jun 12, 2011
This shot was taken during my trip to Taiwan, hoped to achieve a long exposure shot of a river flow and this is one of the outcome which i really liked.

Didn't have a tripod with me so this shot was taken by stabilizing on some ledge.

Riverflow1.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Please feedback on the composition and the technical execution of the shot. The original shot's colour was slightly overexposed, so tweaked the colour to give the shot more vibrant and intense colour.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A long exposure landscape shot to demonstrate the flow of the river.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The shot was taken sometime around mid afternoon in Taiwan.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I liked the overall outcome of the photo and I hope to further develop my skills and take even better photos in the near future.

Please feel free to comment. My first time posting hope I didn't miss out anything.

this shot looks like it could have been taken from sg botanical garden or some rich man's extensive backyard.
Just having rocks that look randomly placed and a flowing water make this photo feels too "dry" in composition for me. You probably need a third or fourth element like the surrounding plants or sky. Anyway, just my thoughts.

this shot looks like it could have been taken from sg botanical garden or some rich man's extensive backyard.
Just having rocks that look randomly placed and a flowing water make this photo feels too "dry" in composition for me. You probably need a third or fourth element like the surrounding plants or sky. Anyway, just my thoughts.

thanks coolthought for your review.. i guess it is definitely lacking in the 3rd element..

I think what's nice about this photo is the stream effect over the long exposure but other than that, there's nothing else about this photo.

My thought about how you actually go about liking this photo is a general mistake that new photographers tend to make. That is to be so amazed by the certain effects or just glad by a particular aspect of a photo which they will forget that there are other elements that plays with the shot.

Do try not to get easily amazed by one aspect and quickly step back and look at it from a whole perspective and pick out the various points which can be improved. Yes, I was once a victim of being easily impressed but it was no where near a good shot.

For this particular shot, what it lacks are depth and composition. Do try to take as much photos of a particular area from various angles. Don't worry about taking too much photos, they are meant to be shot and reviewed later on for the best one. Do keep in mind of the other elements at that point of time to give a certain depth and insights for viewers to understand better.

Sorry for my bad english, it's 2am. Bah.

Can see the flow of the water nicely, though there are some parts of the water that has the details a little washed out.

it's a nice image.. :) about the 3rd element, i watched a video on youtube once where you can artificially introduce this 3rd element e.g. leaves placed on rocks/find moss as a foreground to make your picture more interesting..

something to think about:

[VID]YkqeGV6r_gY[/VID]

Thanks guys for your comments. Been trapped in camp for reservist for the past 2 weeks, so didn't get the opportunity to reply. Guess I have plenty more to learn on the composition aspect of photography. Shall read up and explore further to improve. =D