Rising Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

guojielun

Dec 28, 2005
EAST
ok i failed the night shots! how about this? was shopping in chinatown before CNY and managed to get this... C&C pls :)

Risinglions.jpg

guojielun said:
ok i failed the night shots! how about this? was shopping in chinatown before CNY and managed to get this... C&C pls :)

Risinglions.jpg

Would be better without the bunch of mini lanterns at the side.

Those lanterns take the attention away from the lions a lil.

how does this work?

Risinglions2.jpg

FirstDecember said:
Would be better without the bunch of mini lanterns at the side.

Those lanterns take the attention away from the lions a lil.

guojielun said:
how does this work?

Risinglions2.jpg

im still having a hard time finding ur subject. focusing is not there. flat lighting is also a big problem, gives the illusion of a flat plane while depth is clearly shown thru dof.

hmm i'm not sure what you mean.

i was trying to keep my subject off the centre as it'll probably look ordinary thus i focused it on the right. i'm still figuring out the DOF on my camera as i'm new to this hobby. :embrass:

foxtwo said:
im still having a hard time finding ur subject. focusing is not there. flat lighting is also a big problem, gives the illusion of a flat plane while depth is clearly shown thru dof.

the positioning.. think its quite alrite..if u do read up those photog tips/books, they'll talk abt the rule of the third. so i guess, when u try to to position it at the center, guess tats a good start lor..

i dun wanna comment too much lah.. i aint tat good anyway, wait for the more experienced bros to comment..

guojielun said:
hmm i'm not sure what you mean.

i was trying to keep my subject off the centre as it'll probably look ordinary thus i focused it on the right. i'm still figuring out the DOF on my camera as i'm new to this hobby. :embrass:

my eyes keep drifting to the red tassles in the middle, even when the main subject should be the blueish lion puppet on the right foreground. the main subject does not look as well focused as the some parts of the red tassles do, may be my eyes playing tricks.

do u understand the flat lighting part?

no sir i dont understand the flat lighting part (i don't use flash) :cry: i'm a beginner :embrass: i'll take note on focusing subjects though:)

foxtwo said:
my eyes keep drifting to the red tassles in the middle, even when the main subject should be the blueish lion puppet on the right foreground. the main subject does not look as well focused as the some parts of the red tassles do, may be my eyes playing tricks.

do u understand the flat lighting part?

guojielun said:
no sir i dont understand the flat lighting part (i don't use flash) :cry: i'm a beginner :embrass: i'll take note on focusing subjects though:)
is like all are the same tone, no differential between light and shadow, so the picture looks flat.

Don't worry, shoot more and post more, you'll learn.

And also, don't have to go out all the way to find subjects to shoot, just shoot anything around you, in your house, workplace, on your way to work, etc.

could it be the reason for not using flash? anyway hows the contrast for this?

catchlights said:
is like all are the same tone, no differential between light and shadow, so the picture looks flat.

Don't worry, shoot more and post more, you'll learn.

And also, don't have to go out all the way to find subjects to shoot, just shoot anything around you, in your house, workplace, on your way to work, etc.

guojielun said:

fwah, the only pple who call me sir r those looking for customer. hahh.

flat lighting is like catchlights says.

note the angle & intensity of light against subject(s). go next to a single light source, hold up both hands and examine the way light falls on them. move a hand closer and note the changes. slowly u can vary with more light sources and different light sources to learn which scene calls for what lighting. eg. "oh, if i could get soft lighting in this direction, then...." or "i need to come back to this place to catch the noon sun as i need a hard light overhead..." etc etc
just keep noticing how light falls on objects, u dont even need a camera for this.

flash helps when you need to take the subject at this time but still need secondary lighting. but it's not essential for general photography. dun worry too much about it for now.

i'll try digesting them in. thanks!:)

foxtwo said:
fwah, the only pple who call me sir r those looking for customer. hahh.

flat lighting is like catchlights says.

note the angle & intensity of light against subject(s). go next to a single light source, hold up both hands and examine the way light falls on them. move a hand closer and note the changes. slowly u can vary with more light sources and different light sources to learn which scene calls for what lighting. eg. "oh, if i could get soft lighting in this direction, then...." or "i need to come back to this place to catch the noon sun as i need a hard light overhead..." etc etc
just keep noticing how light falls on objects, u dont even need a camera for this.

flash helps when you need to take the subject at this time but still need secondary lighting. but it's not essential for general photography. dun worry too much about it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.