RIPS Wedding Music Copyright Conference

engr

Nov 9, 2004
Central
Dear all, I am assisting RIPS+COMPASS to organise a conference to understand the music copyright law policy. This is essential for all that produce wedding videos or photo montages, professionals, freelancers and hobbist included.

The tentative date is 22th March 2010 Monday. Location to be decided and notified by email.
Thank you.

Kindly email: enquiry@firewerkzfilms.com

This is an FOC event.

Thanks for the interest, RIPS+COMPASS is confirming the date and venue. For those of you who do not have any idea of what this is about, have a look at the background below.

Background:
There was a series of enforcement work in the wedding industry from early 2009.

Those found to have infringed the copyright law (eg: using music for photo montage, video highlights, etc on actual day weddings at hotel or showcase sample work on internet) were prosecuted. Wallets were hurt and many people (pros+freelancers) were caught off guard.

There was no solution and only prosecution so many went underground. Finally in early 2010, RIPS (yes they are the enforcement body) issued the solution. An annual licence that allows videographers /photographers to legally use copyrighted music for wedding applications. You have to contact RIPS to obtain this application form.

Problem
However there are many freelancers in the market that are not reachable by RIPS so I have volunteered to assist them to reach out to everyone. I hope that everyone exposed would attend this conference to safeguard your interest.. especially the small timers who are working for passion.

The road ahead
There will be stricter enforcements ahead so venture at your own risk if you choose to walk on the dark side. I can assure you many eyes are watching.

Regards,
Sean Seah
Firewerkz Films

RECORD LABELS

1.Brocita Enterprise
2.Easternworld Holdings
3.EQ Music
4.Forward Music
5.Funkie Monkies Productions
6.HIM International Music
7.Life Records
8.Ocean Butterflies Music
9.Rock Records
10.S2S
11.Sony Music
12.Universal Music
13.Warner Music (EMI inc)
14.White Cloud Record

im interested but my concern is about the confirm date, timing & venue...

Dun worry, just send me an email. I will mass mail to all those interested plus update here but should the venue be limited, it would be first come first serve (via email) basis.

A lot of ppl are telling me their couples asking a lot of questions on this so this is best chance to consolidate your questions and get answers from the horses mouth.

juz a quick question....

if i use the original song from the CD frm the record company, i get sued.
however if the song is not sung nor played by the artist with that label, will there be copy right issue?
also, classical songs used, are they cover by this? copyright laws extend to a certain time after the death of the composer iirc.

juz a quick question....

if i use the original song from the CD frm the record company, i get sued.
however if the song is not sung nor played by the artist with that label, will there be copy right issue?
also, classical songs used, are they cover by this? copyright laws extend to a certain time after the death of the composer iirc.

yes, yes, yes. The content is held by the company. you can play ur bathroom version of the latest hits and u can get sued. Even if words are wrong, the melody belongs to them and u get sued...if melody is wrong, words are correct, u get sued. IF melody and words are wrong but bear at least 80-90% resemblance , u get sued. Either way, when u get caught u can spent 10K to hire a lawyer and still lose more $$ in the end or u guai gaui pay them a few k to settle out of court.

Classical pieces if performed by pple/records who do not wish for it to be copyrighted can be use freely by you ( which means u can play ur bathroom version of canon in D for example or christian hymns, I'm think our Majula Singapura is also copyright free...) but if for eg, u play Canon in D by richard clayerman ( if he did ever play this piece) , and sony held the recording rights, u will get sued

Aiya, dun bother going la, they just going to ask u to pay them $8K per yr to use all the music u want. dun even try to bargin. Why will they when they sure win? $8K is like the profit from 8 weddings if u are a freelancer...AND you have to pay again next year..

My suggestion? For the small timers, download cheap music off the web that are really not bad. For just a few hundred bucks ( some of these goes for US$4.95 each), u can built a really decent collection. Wedding photographers has it easier b/c with just 10-15 songs, u can recycle them for all ur wedding montages. Video folks has it a bit harder cos much more songs are needed.

Majest1c, I can't answer yr question because I'm not an IP lawyer. The problem with forums is u have no idea what info is correct and what is not. Your question is a valid one and exactly fits the intention for this conference.. to ask the enforcement body face to face and clarify your doubts once and for all.

With the knowledge on hand, you will be able to make an informed decision whether to go for royalty free songs or pay for an annual licence.

Cosycatus,
May I invite you to state the source of the $8k value here for everyone to see? Which body gave you this value?

The number I have from RIPS in a contract is a lot lesser.

Dear all, the conference date has been confirmed to be 29th March 2010 Monday, 7.30pm.
They are still in the process of sourcing for the location.

Please take note your names and contacts would NOT be released to RIPS/COMPASS/Music Publishers. I am only compiling the numbers to source the right venue.

There will be a presentation to explain the policies followed by Q&A. Venue details would be released once confirmed.

Thank you.

Hi Folks,
Please EMAIL your request and not pm. Thanks.
enquiry@firewerkzfilms.com

29th MARCH 2010 Monday 7.30pm
Venue to be confirmed

Hi, would appreciate if u dun hijack this thread and start a new one to introduce your services. Thanks for the new option.

Hi Folks, enquires still welcome. We have no limit to the numbers except for the venue limitation.

Do take note this is more catered for content creaters.. may be a little out of place for wedding couples to attend but we are not stopping anyone interested to find out more.

Annoucement tomolo. Venue confirmed.. pending some final arrangements.

Dear all, I am pleased to announce the venue. Emails will be sent with the same info.

Date: 29 March 2010 (Monday)
Time: 7.30pm to 9.30pm

Venue
Dance Studio A @ Music Forest
28 Maxwell Road
Level 2 Reddot Traffic Building
Singapore 069120

Upz.. we have about 5-10 spaces extra so just attend. No need to register. Thanks.