rinko kawauchi

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluesky

Jul 20, 2004
Bukit Batok
www.jennifer-koh.com
hey everyone

just want to introduce a young japanese photographer i've discovered in recent years.
she has a gift for finding everyday moments, or maybe they find her. :)

you can google her or check out her books at pageone (the glorious jap-photobook section).

here are 2 links you may like to start with:

sample images: http://www.priskapasquer.de/en/exhibitions/rinko_kawauchi/
interview and write-up on her london exhibition: http://www.pingmag.jp/2006/08/11/10-questions-to-rinko-kawauchi-about-photography/

it's been said that rinko is fast becoming one of the most influential photographers of her generation! :) hope you will enjoy her work!

very unusual way of looking at things
quite a minimalistic style if you ask me

but she's definitely something
thanks for sharing =)

I went through all the shots... hmmm... felt a little bit abstract...
Can see the consistency in style in all the shots.

thanks and appreciated for sharing this link. :thumbsup:

I love her work, got 2 books of hers
I believe she uses Agfa film? she's part of a generation of female japanese photographers that arose in the late 90s/early 00s I believe
A very whimsical eye, she has.

hey mattlock

which books of hers do u have? so far i've collected hanabi, utanane and her family album of 13 yrs- cui cui.

am thinking of ordering hanako (the flowers series) from kino- hopefully it's in stock from the japanese side.

what i really like abt her images is that they take you out of the artifice of looking through conventional photographic frames. that things do not have to be perfectly framed, that things in this world are not perfectly framed. it returns you to things as they are.

I love her work!!!
especailly CUI CUI
Keep returning to it all the time when I go to the book self.

I bought almost all her books when I went Japan last year lor.

hey mattlock

which books of hers do u have? so far i've collected hanabi, utanane and her family album of 13 yrs- cui cui.

am thinking of ordering hanako (the flowers series) from kino- hopefully it's in stock from the japanese side.

what i really like abt her images is that they take you out of the artifice of looking through conventional photographic frames. that things do not have to be perfectly framed, that things in this world are not perfectly framed. it returns you to things as they are.

I don't even know the name of the book I have!a japanese friend gave it to me, it's got a vivid blue cover filled with a mix of her commercial work and personal work.
I wish I could shoot with such whimsy. Btw you can get alot of her books from Page One in Vivocity. that place is a photographer's wetdream

haha yea i get my pageone attacks ever so often.. my friend and i bought the last of a couple of her books there.. there's a lovely daido moriyama one (tokyo) too.. 90 dollars super ex la.

I don't even know the name of the book I have!a japanese friend gave it to me, it's got a vivid blue cover filled with a mix of her commercial work and personal work.
I wish I could shoot with such whimsy. Btw you can get alot of her books from Page One in Vivocity. that place is a photographer's wetdream

Forgive me for my ignorance but can anyone shed some light as to what camera types she is using? Notice alot of vignetting in her pics.

haha yea i get my pageone attacks ever so often.. my friend and i bought the last of a couple of her books there.. there's a lovely daido moriyama one (tokyo) too.. 90 dollars super ex la.

We should start a private library made out of contributions from people next time,put a small space side in my studio
I've got tons of giant luscious photo books from people like guy bourdin to lorca dicorcia...

We should start a private library made out of contributions from people next time,put a small space side in my studio
I've got tons of giant luscious photo books from people like guy bourdin to lorca dicorcia...

wah... good good... F.O.C. liburary ?

good idea- wood + light + dream pics.

well what about a photo book sharing session? ppl can bring their fav photobook keepsakes to share and we can have a good feast for the eyes, over tea/coffee.

:)) anyone keen/wanna organise?

it'd be a great if someone had a place w skylight..mmmmm

well what about a photo book sharing session? ppl can bring their fav photobook keepsakes to share and we can have a good feast for the eyes, over tea/coffee.

I have a big book on "Steve McCarry" . All are portrait shots.

the central library at bugis
has a lot of pretty good books if you have the time to drop by and read

when i'm bored and don't feel like shooting and have free time, of course
i just drop by there and flip through photobooks
foc too!

I think the problem will be transporting them. I have way too many heavy books to handle...I don't mind a session somewhere central.anyone want to make arrangements?

Status
Not open for further replies.