Ring light

Kai Hendry

Mar 31, 2014
East side
hendry.iki.fi
Hi there,

I have a Youtube channel and I want to up the production quality with a ring light. I think! I'm open to suggestions.

home-GH5.jpg

Tbh there is usually a Rode microphone on top of my GH5.

I already have a Manfrotto LED Light Lumimuse 8 LED but it doesn't quite do the job in my opinion. The light above me is a bright LED room light, though it seems to be on the warm side.

Hi there,

I have a Youtube channel and I want to up the production quality with a ring light. I think! I'm open to suggestions.

Tbh there is usually a Rode microphone on top of my GH5.

I already have a Manfrotto LED Light Lumimuse 8 LED but it doesn't quite do the job in my opinion. The light above me is a bright LED room light, though it seems to be on the warm side.

As far as I can tell the photo looks ok to me albeit a bit warm but that's to individual's taste.You have to understand most phonecams defaults to AWB (auto white balance) and may have contrast boosted so image is crisp.Although I think you can fine tune WB if it's a high end phone.

Your problem is one of colour temperature of light sources eg. Room LED and on camera LED.As you have noted room LED is on the warm side but the manfrotto LED is daylight balanced (5600K) like electronic flash.A ring light continuos type will give a bright output combined but I think it will be daylight rated?

Also note which light source is dominant that is,more bright if room LED which I think defintely brighter than manfrotto LED so if camera is set to AWB should give reasonable colour but if it's still too warm for your liking
you can set to a fixed setting? Like tungsten even this has a few selection?

While I don't think a ring light is much needed unless you feel the video is not bright or contrasty enough to grab attention.Personally I don't think being a man like yourself benefit from ring lighting much more than women.:)

If tungsten WB or incandescent range is chosen the daylight rated light source will appear bluish and the tungsten lighting will render objects/subjects colour neutral or natural as can be.

The way pros correct colour balance if digital is simply adjusting WB or via
kelvin scale in camera of the light source's colour temperature.That is there is only one dominant light source but if you have 2 or more mixed then it gets complicated.

If there is more than one light source then you choose either one WB as AWB will give you something inbetween the two light sources colour wise.Eg. Set WB to tunsgten or LED warm AND CONVERT the other light source (daylight) to TUNGSTEN by adding an orange coloured filter (which is available on manfrotto) or orange filter on camera lens.Do note the orange filter you get from photoshops are specifically for B&W film so may not be suitable or at least render a neutral colour depends on the colour imtensity or shade so the supplied one in manfrotto should be very suitable.Alternatively buy orange colour cellophane sheet from craftshop or ntuc supermart (gift wraping).
Of course you can buy from photoshops.It's called colour temperature orange.

Hope this helps.PS to convert tungsten to daylight I think it's magenta.
Daylight to flourescent is green.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!! I found a the WB setting on my GH5 and Incandescent mode seemed to render the image how I think it should look. Just uploaded a video with this mode turned on: https://youtu.be/4fIEuC82FY8

The light source from the camera is the aforementioned Lumimuse. What I think I will try next is just raising the exposure to ~ +1.5. There again the picture brightness, was what I was looking for and without straining my eyes looking at the LED light!!!