Ring flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
Was thinking about getting one of these for shadowless photography, especially with the up and coming release of the sigma 140DG(hopefully it'll be less than $400). Got a doubt here.

How do ring flashes attach onto a lens? I was reading up on the canon version and it seems it only fits onto certain lenses :( Does this mean that I can't use it with say, a third party lens? Must there be a special "mount" on the lens in order to use such flashes?

usually for fashion use, comes with a special attachment using the tripod mount beneath the camera body so that it takes weight off the lens. exception are those used for medical use or macro photography.

Hang on im a little lost here. Special attachment meaning bracket? From the photo on sigma's website it kinda looks like it's affixed to the front of the lens somehow.

Stoned said:
Was thinking about getting one of these for shadowless photography, especially with the up and coming release of the sigma 140DG(hopefully it'll be less than $400). Got a doubt here.

How do ring flashes attach onto a lens? I was reading up on the canon version and it seems it only fits onto certain lenses :( Does this mean that I can't use it with say, a third party lens? Must there be a special "mount" on the lens in order to use such flashes?

hmm i wonder which kinda shadowless photography you mean, but if the flash is on the camera, at any angle your light souce is from you, there will sure be shadow on the back... unless there is a equal or soft light background that will remove the shadow...

what 's your purpose of using them and what are your subject?

Portrait photography mainly. To simulate twin lighting effects.
There will definitely be a shadow but with a twin strobe type flash, i hope to eliminate shadows at the side of the subject.

The thing is i'll probably need to use it on non-macro lenses like 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8, for example. Portrait lenses in general

Stoned said:
Portrait photography mainly. To simulate twin lighting effects.
There will definitely be a shadow but with a twin strobe type flash, i hope to eliminate shadows at the side of the subject.

The thing is i'll probably need to use it on non-macro lenses like 85/1.8, 70-200/2.8, for example. Portrait lenses in general

i do not understand what is twin lighting effects?

reachme2003 said:
usually for fashion use, comes with a special attachment using the tripod mount beneath the camera body so that it takes weight off the lens. exception are those used for medical use or macro photography.

wah .. if u think ring flash for fashion photography is available for $400 plus ... please helpch me get a few ... :)

that ringflash that is mentioned in this thread is used for macro photography...

unless u happen to be pro bodyscape photographer :)

Happy shooting

:)

well considering the Sigma 500 Super DG is selling for under 350, I don't think its an unreasonable expectation. 3rd party equipment is known to be popular for the budget concious.

I'm not sure of the proper term, but by twin lighting i meant a dual-flash unit set-up.

Stoned said:
well considering the Sigma 500 Super DG is selling for under 350, I don't think its an unreasonable expectation. 3rd party equipment is known to be popular for the budget concious.

I'm not sure of the proper term, but by twin lighting i meant a dual-flash unit set-up.

i think i get what you mean already... you are trying to get something like a 2 adjustable arm(1 left 1 right) with 2 flash light... those are actually for macro photography & its a alternative to using ring flash... if you shoot from a distance, unless you can spread your arm to quite far away, if not the 2 flash would be considered 1 flash unit's usage... for eg, if your camera is directly opposite the subject, the 2 flash unit must be about giving a 60 - 90 degree coverage...

Yep. Will definitely have to work out the proper subject distances if i do end up buying such a flash unit. Need to buy and experiment.

Btw, anyone using a ring flash for portraits/fashion at present?

buy buy buy
em140dg.jpg

http://www.sigma-photo.com/Html/EM140_DG.htm

A lot of depends here.

1. since its a ring there is a maximum diameter involved. should the lens fileter diameter be bigger than the ring flash then there is not way you are going to be able to mount this. Its mounted on a female thread to male thread with the male thread going fitting into the filter thread of the lens.

2. the flash power since its for macro is not that strong so if u think u can stand say 3 to 4 meters away and bang well either prepare to use fast film or face underexposure.

3. the effect is well old = if u never seen it it looks cool but for people who have seen it and that's all u have to push yr picture then well........ its like soooo what ever have u got to show.

i believe this is more for macro than portrait... maybe half body still can...

For portrait-wise, lotsa of photographer use it to create even lighting so that the facial features show up clearer. Especially for shots where you want to see the make-up etc etc.

Using a ring-flash also has the effect of creating a ring catchlight in the eyes of the subject which used to look quite cool, but since been too over-used.

Actually, ring-flashes are popular for photos in Japanese fashion magazines to make models stand out from an otherwise plain backdrop as it give a round even lighting on the subject which quickly falls off behind the model (Much like the effect of a very diffused spotlight shooting straight at the model).
For reference, refer to magazines like Luci, ef, Classy and Runa.

Thats what i heard. Main purpose is to get one for experimentation. The key now is how Sigma is gonna price this latest offering once it hits stores

Status
Not open for further replies.