Ring flashes, typical shoe mounted flashes and fibre optic cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

has91

Dec 31, 2008
hey everyone,
i had been trying to expand my knowledge of photography these few days especially since now I'm having my school holidays. I had been researching about external flashes. Which was when I saw ring flashes. What are the differences between a ring flash and a normal shoe mounted speedlite? I only know that ring flashes makes sure that the light covers all the angles since it is mounted around(?) the lens. Also which is better? Ok maybe it is subjective so I'll narrow it down to indoor or outdoor shooting. Which is better indoors? How bout outdoors? Lastly, does anyone knows where I can get fibre optics? I'm so tempted to call singtel or starhub and ask where they get them but haha I'm afraid they will just think I'm a mad person and just hang up. haha. advice me pls! THANKS!

A ring flash is not exactly a flash but an additional gadget mounted on to your external flash. It's normally used for close up marco photography and sometimes portrait photography. U r right that it will give you that all round balance flash. But this is wat i understand about the ring flash... the other seniors in here could explain more ba... you can make a DIY one here as well. Just search for it under search tab and there's a thread to teach u how to make one.

As for fiber optics... why do u need it??

A ring flash is not exactly a flash but an additional gadget mounted on to your external flash. It's normally used for close up marco photography and sometimes portrait photography. U r right that it will give you that all round balance flash. But this is wat i understand about the ring flash... the other seniors in here could explain more ba... you can make a DIY one here as well. Just search for it under search tab and there's a thread to teach u how to make one.

hehheh..u just answered your own question. I want to make my own DIY ring flash. LOL.

actually there are dedicated ring flashes

the gadget is just a cheaper option for those who want the real ring flash effect

the original ring flash was designed for macro work
eg. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3258

and then there is the bigger, more powerful version for fashion work

eg. http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

is there any other alternative ring flashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.