Ring flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
am thinking of getting a ring flash.
i'm talking about huge type that can reflect in the subject's pupils.
i did a search and realised there's one for sale at 4.5k.
too expensive.
are there any cheaper recommendations?

am thinking of getting a ring flash.
i'm talking about huge type that can reflect in the subject's pupils.
i did a search and realised there's one for sale at 4.5k.
too expensive.
are there any cheaper recommendations?

too expensive??? Am I hearing right? :bsmilie:

BC

Our dear girl is having a phat phat bonus? ;p ;p ;p

You can try Nikon's R1C1 set, costs ard $1k++. U can refer to Nikon's site for specs. :)

too expensive??? Am I hearing right? :bsmilie:

BC

ya lah.or u want me to shout?

toooooooo bloooodyyyyyyyyyyyy expensive!

:bsmilie:

ya lah.or u want me to shout?

toooooooo bloooodyyyyyyyyyyyy expensive!

:bsmilie:

Damn... I though "expensive" was not in your vocabulary.

BC;p

You can try getting from Bowen, it's a lighting brand used by many pros in their studio. If I remember correctly, it cost about $2.5K, but it's a power pack and not mono block, but the price should suit your blood :)

You can try getting from Bowen, it's a lighting brand used by many pros in their studio. If I remember correctly, it cost about $2.5K, but it's a power pack and not mono block, but the price should suit your blood :)

ya i heard of bowens.will go check their website now.thanks!;)

Our dear girl is having a phat phat bonus? ;p ;p ;p

You can try Nikon's R1C1 set, costs ard $1k++. U can refer to Nikon's site for specs. :)

aj,
r1c1 is not what i looking for.saw the pics.it's more for macro.

i'm into portraiture.and i'm looking for a full ring flash.not made up of 2 tiny winy flash type designed for macro.;)

aj,
r1c1 is not what i looking for.saw the pics.it's more for macro.

i'm into portraiture.and i'm looking for a full ring flash.not made up of 2 tiny winy flash type designed for macro.;)

R1C1 is made for portraits also lah. :)

Just put 2 more SB-R200, there u will have 4 whiny flashes. ;p

Alternatively, someone did recommend Alien Bee's ringflash, supposedly cheap and good.

http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

$2.5 k is for the light head only right? not including the power pack.

ringflash.jpg

$2.5 k is for the light head only right? not including the power pack.

ringflash.jpg

this is what i'm looking for!but can attach to any lens?
u mean still must power it with special batt packs ah?doh

R1C1 is made for portraits also lah. :)

Just put 2 more SB-R200, there u will have 4 whiny flashes. ;p

Alternatively, someone did recommend Alien Bee's ringflash, supposedly cheap and good.

http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

oh darn!
The ABR800 is temporarily on backorder until approximately JANUARY 15. Please call our Customer Service Team (Toll Free 1-877-714-3381, M-F, 9am-5pm CST) or email us for more details. You can still place an order for the ABR800 with the understanding that it will not ship until it becomes available. If you wish to order other items with the ABR800, please note in your shopping cart if you would like the other items to go ahead and ship or if you wish to hold the entire order until the ABR800 is available.

i really dont believe no one in sgp has tried to make his/her own ring flash.

maybe i should go do one with pvc?
make the shape of a loudhailer, then in the center attach a milo tin cover.
but then again, the flash is still 'above' the lens.
but i reckon it will have the ring effect catchlights on the subject?:dunno:

this is what i'm looking for!but can attach to any lens?
u mean still must power it with special batt packs ah?doh
not really, you mount your camera on the socket of the flash head, not the flash mount on your lens, of course, the flash head has to mount on a very strong tripod.

and yes, you need a Bowens power pack,
quadx.jpg

i really dont believe no one in sgp has tried to make his/her own ring flash.

maybe i should go do one with pvc?
make the shape of a loudhailer, then in the center attach a milo tin cover.
but then again, the flash is still 'above' the lens.
but i reckon it will have the ring effect catchlights on the subject?:dunno:

yes you can, can just buy a 32w fluorescent ring tune and make your own ring light.

en_b__231.gif

In classical portraiture work a ring flash is seldom used. In the so call ad vangarde or fashion or music artist work this is a gimick used to try to pump some life into medicore work by too many wanna to bes however inthe hands one some one who can make people pop, swing, sing and dance with any other lighting this comes as another way of adding an extra dimension. Too many clients especially in the music industry see this and think hey the picture rocks but if you seen the effect , and look past it to what the content is - some times its still the same sad unexciting half past six work because some photogs are big on concepts but not so big on ability to produce good basic pictures. So what you end up seeing is at best something with potential but missing some bits to make it shine.There is an el cheapo way - think of the round flouresence lights, the color casts adds an additional sense of unreal but you still need to do everything else to make the picture work. In case you need the brand more than anything else then you need to spend money to look good.

rent one to try out before you invest in something so substantial in cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.