Rights & Powers of the MCST: Seeking some opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Recently my MCST started issuing warning letters to residents to clear 'obstructions' in the common corridor of my condo. Otherwise, threatening to impose a fine & confiscation.

In the letter, they quote the Building Maintenance (Strata Management) Regulations 2005 sections and also sections from the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act 2004.

I do have some stuff outside my door (e.g. kid's pram, bicycle, shoe rack, etc.) but they are not obstructing the passageway in any manner.

Does the MCST have a right to confiscate & impose fines?

Yes they do. Anything outside of your own home is considered common property and comes under the preview of the MCST.

On the matter of confiscation, they can remove it but I'm not too sure about the fine. Usually fines are covered under either the Strata Management Act or it's already a By Law / House Rules.

Most of the time, they have to do this as it is the FSB which will fine the MCST if they come in for inspection.

This is the part where vince123123 will come in and advise then someone will disagree and goes into a long arguement. Standing by my keropok.

This is the part where vince123123 will come in and advise then someone will disagree and goes into a long arguement. Standing by my keropok.

lol...

think the fines are like those you park illegally and your car gets clamped, then u pay the releasing fee...

likewise, think you are going to pay them to remove things for u...

Aiyo,

1) FSB come in for spot check, saw things in the common area which they say is a fire harzard ( BTW, for FSB anything place in the common area which can catch fire is considered a fire harzaed )

2) FSB give warning / issue fine

3) MCST in order not to kanna fine/warning, do house cleaning first or at least can show FSB that they have done their duty but the resident refused to co-operate.

Case Close

Your koropok wasted liow :bsmilie:

This is quite common, my MCST also issuing letter to clean up common area from bicycles, pet cages, etc... some people can be obnoxious. But usually fine is not from FSB except you put something in the emergency staircase which is no-no. Usually the committee will empower managing agent to issue warning letter for stubborn resident they will get legal letter from lawyer and they must pay the lawyer fee. Anyway I am on the side of the MCST to put strict rule about common area, most of the time who create problems are tenants of rent out units. Lesser problem with owner occupied units.

Lol, well MCST isn't really my area so I don't know how to advise yet :p

What I can do however, is to look at the specific sections which the TS has quoted:

"Building Maintenance (Strata Management) Regulations 2005 sections and also sections from the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act 2004."

I do have access to the Regulations which normally isn't published at the familiar statutes.agc.gov.sg website. Will wait for the TS to provide the sections :)

And there is nothing wrong with disagreement :) Just so long as both sides can back up what they say.

Still at one page?? Damn! This is the worst keropok investment I made in CS. Much worse than Lehman Brothers. LOL!!

Go Speaker's Corner and complain, maybe can get a refund :bsmilie:

Cos TS MIA also mah.

Still at one page?? Damn! This is the worst keropok investment I made in CS. Much worse than Lehman Brothers. LOL!!

Recently my MCST started issuing warning letters to residents to clear 'obstructions' in the common corridor of my condo. Otherwise, threatening to impose a fine & confiscation.

In the letter, they quote the Building Maintenance (Strata Management) Regulations 2005 sections and also sections from the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act 2004.

I do have some stuff outside my door (e.g. kid's pram, bicycle, shoe rack, etc.) but they are not obstructing the passageway in any manner.

Does the MCST have a right to confiscate & impose fines?
Yes, the Management Agent has the power to do so, especially when the Management Council mandate them to do so.
You may refer to the relevant provisions in either the House rules of the MCST , which should be consistent with those under the BMSMA ( Building Management & Strata Management Act.
In the interest of the condo, and to promote harmonious living amongst all subsidiary proprietors and residents of the condo, it is necessary for all to comply with the circulars of the Management Agent.
After all, the Management Council have offered their time and expertise to serve free of charge for the Management Corporation.

Hi Knight Chemistry,

I have a similar problem with my MCST and would like to get a hold of the powers of the MCST. Where can I get it ?

Any help is much appreciated !

Status
Not open for further replies.