Right or Wrong: Photojournalistic Integrity

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
Aug 10, 2008
to me, it's more like self-censorship than a matter of journalistic integrity
I actually agree with you. However, why not just draw a black box over it, and explain why it was self censored, instead of manipulating and adding content to the photo and not letting anyone else know what they did in advance?

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
to me, it's more like self-censorship than a matter of journalistic integrity
...but, should journalists self-censor? Does that represent the truth? No it does not...

Zoomster

Aug 6, 2007
Thomson
For me there should only be 2 options. Either you publish photo as it is. Or cover up the bloody portion with black box/text etc. You are introducing false representation with a manipulated image. This manipulated image is not a true representation of what happened.

Why manipulate images? So next time a streaker runs out on to the football field, is the newspaper going to add in a bikini/underwear for the streaker? No, they usually cover it with blurred image/black box etc. Same with Britney Spears and her no-undies pix.

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
A stupid move. Because other newspapers would have photos of the same scene taken by their staff photographers.

Not the photographer's choice.

Likely a smart-alec editor who demanded the change.

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
For me there should only be 2 options. Either you publish photo as it is. Or cover up the bloody portion with black box/text etc. You are introducing false representation with a manipulated image. This manipulated image is not a true representation of what happened.

Why manipulate images? So next time a streaker runs out on to the football field, is the newspaper going to add in a bikini/underwear for the streaker? No, they usually cover it with blurred image/black box etc. Same with Britney Spears and her no-undies pix.
I agree. If you are reporting something, you should not present your version. However, you can choose not to review sensitive info and let readers know it is not complete. Just imagine now it is the other way around. The photographer add more bodies without head to this photo!

Hinata76

Apr 15, 2009
Singapore
www.flickr.com
a bit off the topic but its like...

i paid $ to go in a strip joint(supposely a nudes etc..)

but go in see ladies in their lingerie only....

JUST A EXAMPLE...

something like that?

dunno..but thats how i feel..

Top Bottom