Right eye, left eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends if you're left-dominant or right-dominant. You'll realize though that most people are right-dominant, which is why DSLR cameras are designed for right-dominant people. Many left-dominant people have complained of their nose pressing the controls on the right side, etc etc

Really ... I'm a right-hander but uses my left eye.

Do you focus with your right eye or left eye through the viewfinder? Any difference you find?

Better to use alternate eyes: A couple of shots on the left, and a few on the right.
Too much squinting on one eye can make u 'blurr', literally as when u try to focus straight after squinting too much, u realise it places too much pressure on the squinted eye and the vision goes blurr for that eye.

I use right eye through the viewfinder most of the time. Will keep both eyes open before taking the shot.

Hi, Practise using both eyes so one eye is not lazyier than the other. It is better to use LCD screen often to prevent injury to the eye over time through overuse, especially in bright sunlight outdoor.

I'm ambidextrous, and hence I just make do with whichever eye more convenient at that moment. Is there such thing? :bsmilie:

Too much squinting on one eye can make u 'blurr', literally as when u try to focus straight after squinting too much, u realise it places too much pressure on the squinted eye and the vision goes blurr for that eye.

I avoid squinting if possible. Since my right eye is dominant it's easy to focus in the image from there, neglecting the image from open left eye. But sometimes open left eye comes handy to see the surrounding and movements outside the frame. Needs a bit training, though :)

i use right eye at all the time. So far I don't have squing. :)

It depends if you're left-dominant or right-dominant. You'll realize though that most people are right-dominant, which is why DSLR cameras are designed for right-dominant people. Many left-dominant people have complained of their nose pressing the controls on the right side, etc etc

Hehe, according to my long-ago survey (that was just bumped up), more clubsnappers shoot with left eye! haha.

Do you shoot with your left or right eye : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348448

Right more, left less.

Actually depends on the shoot, when I am chasing something, like shooting sports, I keep both open.

Started the thread not knowing this has been discussed in other threads but since many have contributed here, I guess it is ok to move on.

I started with right eye but after I came to know about left eye focusing in a seminar, I tried it to see the difference.

This is what I find after trying both.

With my left hand providing the main support to the camera and elbow closet to my body, left eye focusing is more natural and it allows me to hold the camera firmed and steady. With right eye focusing, I need to move my left hand slightly to the right or move my head slightly to the left, and this is less natural for me. Using left eye to focus also allows me to open both eyes without distraction as the right eye is blocked by the camera and my right hand.

I have decided to switch to left eye focusing.

If I turn the camera vertically for portrait shot, right eye focusing is more comfortable. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.