Right Composition?

Photofreak123

Nov 26, 2009
Singapore
img_1347editedwordpress1.jpg

Hey guys, I guess i really nid some help. ^^
For this photo, can i get to know whether this composition is right or will it be more appropriate to crop it in such a way it obeys rule of thirds?

And also if there are some bad pointers or areas for me to improve on, do post your comments. Really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot, Happy chinese new year. =D

I am not sure if you are trying to do a macro ? If yes, you need to zoom in to show the details of the butterfly.

It does not look sharp. Some parts of the wings are also overexposed.

What's that reflect on the bottom right of the screen ? Is that reflection from a glass ?

1) your butterfly is not isolated enough.

2) whatever you want to crop, you should lose that orange bg thing on the left

3) sl005073 is right, your butterfly is overexposed

4) if i really HAD to keep this shot, i would crop a square crop here. simply to isolate your subject better, instead of placing it against a mess of competing elements.

As what sl005073 had said,what is the reflection on the bottom right....
To me,it seems that the reflection cause so much of a distraction..
Maybe u can crop that portion away as well as the orangy thing on the left...

Maybe u should crop to something like this:
Just showing u example fr ur pic

img_1347editedwordpress1.jpg

i'd rather go for a true close-up macro where i can almost feel its textures and get an eyeful of its body parts and colors

the whites seem overblown

Did you shoot this with a zoom lens?

The butterfly is not that sharp, maybe you are using point focus, cos I see the part just above the butterfly's head is sharper. Or maybe move down 1 stop on the aperture.

The picture is partially over-exposed.

For this shot, I would perfer using a macro lens

Cheers!

Hey guys, many thanks for ur advices.

Just to provide more information, i am shooting with that cheapo PRIME LENS, the canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
Lens sux, i noe. D=

To sl005073: Erm, for the reflection at bottom right, i guess is the water on the leaves. Anws, i will most likely be cropping the photo for a closeup view. Probably the reflections will be gone.

To night86mare: Yeah! I finally see the light! The butterfly is really not isolated enough.. Thanks a lot. I also donno how the orange big thing appear on the left. =/ (Cos tt time scared butterfly will fly away at any time..so doesnt notice tt lolz..)
I will remove/crop them using photoshop baz.. Kham-sia!

To Elite77: Thanks for the example. kinda understand now.

Erm, i got one more thing to ask, about the over-exposed thing. Is it partially overexposed? Cos when i look at my photo through my LCD monitor, it seems quite alright, little brighter.

Thanks.

Hi guys, me once again.
Im here uploading the original photo if this butterfly.. will be thankful if you are able to show the edited version of the photo. =)
img_1347clubsnap.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

img_1347clubsnap-edited-liao.jpg

I've also tried edit the photo again after looking through your precious advice. Seriously still a noob in macro shots. Pls Critique ya?

Basically i've cropped the image, slightly reduces the overall brightness, and blurred the stalk that is in focus to sort of push back the stalk leaving the butterfly right in focus.. correct me if i've done smth wrong

Thank you!

In macro photography, it is easy to get white areas burnt out/overexposed thus details are gone. Once details are gone, u can forget abt the picture. It will be hard to photoshop. If u wanna try macro photography with ur 50mm prime lens, u can try adding RAYNOX DCR250 close up lens to ur prime lens. But ur working distance will be very close. U can try using F11 onward for macro so u get everything in focus. Compose ur pic before u shoot and choose a clean background. Hope it helps if not u can ask the ppl in macro section for help

i am shooting with that cheapo PRIME LENS, the canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
Lens sux, i noe. D=

errrrrr..... DO NOT blame the equiptment.... you chose to use it and employed this perspective.... and it is not a half bad lens.....

how you'd metered affected the outcome too.... try using different perspectives plus bracketing your shots at half or at a full stop intervals and see how the outcome ?

slapping on a close up filter is a good idea too as bro above mentioned

Does that butterfly really has one antenna on the head only? Hehehe!

by the way, I have the 50mm 1.8lens. I feel it is a very good lens, one of the best for its price.

At times, if you dont have the filter or the polariser required, just PS the photo a little bit. It may help

cheers!

Does that butterfly really has one antenna on the head only? Hehehe!

by the way, I have the 50mm 1.8lens. I feel it is a very good lens, one of the best for its price.

At times, if you dont have the filter or the polariser required, just PS the photo a little bit. It may help

cheers!

Haha! Actually the other antenna is bend right into the flower. So all u see is one antenna from this view. :) Thanks anws.

Totally agree with night86mare bro!
The THINGS u had on the both left & right side of your picture is disturbing, not very nice. Moreover,i always do try to get closer slowly after i had taken a few shots of it.:) u will nvr know if it stays still!

I like this crop better, but I'll push the crop window as much to the right as possible, just before touching the blurred-out horizontal stalk that's at the back, and crop it slightly tighter, so that the butterfly moves a little to the left and down. That'll cut off the leave on the left... but it's your judgement call :)

cant add much as the others have said most of it :) but the 50mm f1.8 does NOT suck! haha, i love that lens, its great for a lot of purposes - try using it more n see, u'll get some great photos with it

I think given the color of the butterfly and the color of the background, the butterfly definitely stands out. The background maybe busy but it's blurred and the contrast with the subject that's dead center in the image is solid enough to indicate that the subject is the butterfly, not the background.

I think the only issue is the whites on the wings being blown out.

Sometimes over-analyzing shots cause us to nitpick things that don't really matter much. Art has no rules after all.