rig for shooting cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
does anyone have any recommendation?i need one that's sturdy enough to hold a heavy dslr.
i did try searching and googling for it but to no avail.

please help.

thanks guy.
i thought singapore has shops that carries them.:cry:

I doubt there are any shops selling locally, only way is to buy online or custom-made locally.

I have thought of making one BUT don't have really nice cars to shoot, so ideal is dropped. It
quite easy to custom-made, only a few things you need to buy e.g. 2 or 3 suction cups,
1 Manfrotto magic arm or equivalent and 3 super clamps. The rest e.g.[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] aluminum poles[/FONT] etc made locally.

Cheers

Last edited:
I believe Andy Wee does a lot of automotive commercial photography. He posted a red bull f1 shoot last year on the forums. (http://www.andywee.com/)

3 suction cups can hold the weight of a d3?
if it drops on the tarmac, that's it.:cry:

I believe Andy Wee does a lot of automotive commercial photography. He posted a red bull f1 shoot last year on the forums. (http://www.andywee.com/)

ya i know.but him being a professional, i dont really wanna get slam by knocking on his door and asking him to share his trade secrets.:bsmilie:

3 suction cups can hold the weight of a d3?
if it drops on the tarmac, that's it.:cry:
Those are 6 or 8 inches heavy-duty industrial suction cup that take 6 kg load or more,
how much is your D3 plus your biggest lens weighted :)

suction_cup.jpg

car_rig.jpg

Those are 6 or 8 inches heavy-duty industrial suction cup that take 6 kg load or more,
how much is your D3 plus your biggest lens weighted :)

suction_cup.jpg

car_rig.jpg

oic!thanks so much for info.i thought those normal glass suction cups used to hold sunshades.
LOL:bsmilie:

gosh...even if to setup a rig like that, i guess the photoshopping will kill!

oic!thanks so much for info.i thought those normal glass suction cups used to hold sunshades.
LOL:bsmilie:

gosh...even if to setup a rig like that, i guess the photoshopping will kill!

:bsmilie: sunglass are just a tad lighter than your d3. :)

with a slow shutter speed, you don't need to drive fast
in fact you don't really need to start the engine at all

with a slow shutter speed, you don't need to drive fast
in fact you don't really need to start the engine at all

huh?
if car stationary how to do panning shots?:dunno:
dont tell me photoshop.
i dont like.

the engine does not need to be running for the car to move right?

have to!else the trans game over.unless you are referring to manual cars.
and i think it's crazy to shoot panning with the car not started!
are you joking or what?:dunno:

Shot at slow shutter speeds, usually the cars are in neutral and pulled along. Or driven very slowly.

Cars don't have to be shot at a very high moving speed to gain the panning effect. If manual, one can tow the car..

what kind of suction cups are so strong to hold the cameras on these cars going so fast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzLJIH1Qz8&feature=related:dunno:
and the best thing is, they dont look as bulky as the ones you showed me tim.:dunno:
The link that ortega posted show all kind of suction cups (pick one), judging from some of
the images posted, do you think they hold the camera :). The three suction cups setup
shown, should be sturdy.

I saw a couple of video that shown the rig mounted on the drift car, they were shooting
while the car are drifting along. You know you can drift using second gear right :), a
properly made rig should handle with ease.

I race before and since you love race car, maybe race in the race track too, you'll know
what a roll cage. Just clamp a Superclamp with a small ball head to the cross section of
the roll cage behind the bucket seat, and mounted the DSLR to shoot.

To shoot like the video in that youtube, instead of a DSLR, mount a small HDV camcorder
and shoot away. Like you mentioned this setup will be very small.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.