Ridata CF incompatible wif X-drive2???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hentaitic

Dec 25, 2002
www.pbase.com
I have these 2 CFs which I have used on my 2 weeks trip to Thailand last week.

Came back with just half of all my images intact, lost about 900 over images!!! Further investigation revealed that all images lost are all those captured with the Ridata CF.

Each Ridata CF transfers to the X-drive2 are perfect, complete with the comfirmatory 2 'beeps' after the successful transfer. But horror of horrors, when I got home only the Hagiwara CF images are there.

Other than the Ridata's apparent incompatibility with X-drive2, it still works fine capturing images on my A40 camera. Reason enough to claim warranty on the Ridata CF???

Originally posted by hentaitic
I have these 2 CFs which I have used on my 2 weeks trip to Thailand last week.

Came back with just half of all my images intact, lost about 900 over images!!! Further investigation revealed that all images lost are all those captured with the Ridata CF.

Each Ridata CF transfers to the X-drive2 are perfect, complete with the comfirmatory 2 'beeps' after the successful transfer. But horror of horrors, when I got home only the Hagiwara CF images are there.

Other than the Ridata's apparent incompatibility with X-drive2, it still works fine capturing images on my A40 camera. Reason enough to claim warranty on the Ridata CF???

It is a known problem of the Xdrive, not Ridata's CF. I used to have problem using the Ridata 512MB with Xdrive1 too, and when it can be used, I face corrupted images. The same problem is present in the Xdrive2 too.

I don't think you can claim any warranty from Ridata but rather, a feedback/complain of problem to the manufacturer of the Xdrive is IMO a better move.

*Speaking in personal capacity as a CS member*

Thanks for the one-up!

Sent a nasty email to info@xs-drive.com

Any other websites/email of x-drive, u knw???

Actually I have heard about the problem on the X-drive I which led to the firmware upgrade. So I had assumed on the X-drive II all the past bugs have already been worked out, rite?

WRONG!!!

Finally someone posted this....

I posted this issue very recently and also in the past but no one here seems to want to respond or discuss much...I thot I was the only one!!!

So X-Drive is the fault of it all???? Damn if it's so... I thot it's due to my frequent deletion of images which corrupts the data.

Yup, I lost some images too... U can't convert them from RAW is that right or you can't even see the images at all? I've experienced both cases.

I have used the x-drive 2 on several occasions...and had no problems using a Ridata CF with it...The way u guys says is like... :confused: :confused:

Sorry to hear abt the images lost ...

I think you should do some tests on ur x-drive 2

Originally posted by Lindy
I have used the x-drive 2 on several occasions...and had no problems using a Ridata CF with it...The way u guys says is like... :confused: :confused:

Hi Lindy... So even with frequent deletions on the CF card and then transferring them to the X-Drive II, you don't lose any images, especially those at the end of the each file created by X Drive II?

Wow if so, I think then there's really something darn wrong with my X-Drive II. I'm getting concerned here. How to trace the source of error anyway? :dunno:

I'm confused too. :confused:

I DO do deletions on my Ridata CF card and then transfer them to my X-drive II...so far...i have not encountered any problems transferring images/have any corrupted/images missing.
*touch wood.dont wish to have such problems in future* :rolleyes:

I'm getting concerned too as there seems to be a few users whom are having problems with the x-drive.

Perhaps its the way when you transfer your files? I've always place it on a flat solid surface to prevent any jerking or movements while transferring the data...

But i don't think you would be shaking the x-drive while transferring the data isnt it? :dunno: :dunno:

Originally posted by David
Hi Lindy... So even with frequent deletions on the CF card and then transferring them to the X-Drive II, you don't lose any images, especially those at the end of the each file created by X Drive II?

Wow if so, I think then there's really something darn wrong with my X-Drive II. I'm getting concerned here. How to trace the source of error anyway? :dunno:

Originally posted by Lindy
I'm confused too. :confused:

I'm getting concerned too as there seems to be a few users whom are having problems with the x-drive.

Perhaps its the way when you transfer your files? I've always place it on a flat solid surface to prevent any jerking or movements while transferring the data...

No, being paranoid, I did it perfectly flat and no shake or whatever. It's just that towards the end of the CF card's memory, I'll do extra frequent deletions and then I'll transfer the images to my X-Drive II. That's when the trouble comes in. And I fully utilize the complete memory of the card till my last image.

Is your shooting style similar to mine too?

No, being paranoid, I did it perfectly flat and no shake or whatever. It's just that towards the end of the CF card's memory, I'll do extra frequent deletions and then I'll transfer the images to my X-Drive II. That's when the trouble comes in. And I fully utilize the complete memory of the card till my last image.

Is your shooting style similar to mine too?

Hmm...extra? How extra is extra? :what:

I DO do some deletions...but i dont think that should affect the transfer...

RiData has compatinilty issues with quite a few CF Card readers. I have a RiData 512MB and have issues with is as well. Now hardly using it anymore.

The Xdrive/Xdrive2 file corruption issue is a widely known one, it had been brought up in quite a many international photographic forums rather frequently. From what I know, it is not related to any particular batch(es) of these drives, many faced and are still facing this problem to date.

Now, according to my observation, the Xdrive/Xdrive2 copies files from the media (CF, MS, SD, etc) to its internal harddrive in large chuncks of data, this may be the root to all the issues. This is also one reason why users are not experiencing a significant increase in copying speed via their media to the drive unit from Xdrive1 to Xdrive2. Simply put, the basic file system Xdrive/Xdrive2 use just isn't optimized to facilitate any significant speed improvement.

Products like the Nixvue, Tripper, etc employ a file-by-file system of transferring data from the media to the drive unit. This enables the drives' hardware/firmware to be optimized for speed and reliability. To date, I had observed a swift and consistent record for these products. Taking the Tripper as an example, it is able to copy files from a 26X 512MB CF to its internal harddrive in under 5mins (typically 4mins 30sec - 4mins 45secs +/-), this IMO an impressive improvement and something befitting of an USB2 tag.

I suggest all those who are facing problem to lodge a complain to the local distributor, I did my part earlier and is confident they will take the appropriate action if a there is a significant amount of users feedback. :)

Originally posted by Avatar
I suggest all those who are facing problem to lodge a complain to the local distributor, I did my part earlier and is confident they will take the appropriate action if a there is a significant amount of users feedback. :)
Hi,

I'm Daniel from EastGear.com and we are the official sole distributor of the X-Drive 2 in Singapore. It is unfortunate that a few users have problems with their X-Drive 2. However we would like to point out that the "problem" units are bought from parallel importers. Hence, we cannot provide any support or warranties for any units not bought from us or any other official authorised channels. This policy is consistent with many industry players like Microsoft Xbox and Sony Playstation.

We would also like to take this opportunity to state here that none of the units sold by us have any compatibility issues with RiData CF cards (Lindy being one of our customers :)) and we have sold the most number of X-Drive 2 in Singapore. Parallel imports from Sim Lim Square may be a few dollars cheaper but customers will find themselves short-changed as they come without any support or warranties.

We urge consumers to buy from official distributors and not from parallel importers. We would like to thank existing customers for their support and pledge to continue to provide whatever support/services possible to ensure that our customers get the best out of their purchase. (so Linda, do not worry :))

Thank you for your understanding.

Daniel Chin
EastGear.com

Originally posted by EastGear
Hi,

I'm Daniel from EastGear.com and we are the official sole distributor of the X-Drive 2 in Singapore. It is unfortunate that a few users have problems with their X-Drive 2. However we would like to point out that the "problem" units are bought from parallel importers. Hence, we cannot provide any support or warranties for any units not bought from us or any other official authorised channels. This policy is consistent with many industry players like Microsoft Xbox and Sony Playstation.

We would also like to take this opportunity to state here that none of the units sold by us have any compatibility issues with RiData CF cards (Lindy being one of our customers :)) and we have sold the most number of X-Drive 2 in Singapore. Parallel imports from Sim Lim Square may be a few dollars cheaper but customers will find themselves short-changed as they come without any support or warranties.

We urge consumers to buy from official distributors and not from parallel importers. We would like to thank existing customers for their support and pledge to continue to provide whatever support/services possible to ensure that our customers get the best out of their purchase. (so Linda, do not worry :))

Daniel Chin
EastGear.com

Hi Daniel thanks for your reply!

I didn't buy mine from a parallel importer. It was from one of your authorized agents in Funan Ctr. Can't remember the shop's name though I still have the receipt etc.

Does this mean I can have my X-Drive 2 looked into and if possible exchanged? Do I need to prove the problem? Please let me know how I can do so.

I do a lot of travel photograpphy and the images are very important to me. I was disappointed once in Europe and now recently in Canada! It was very distressing to me.

Well if this issue can't be resolved, I'm really considering selling it away and getting something else more reliable.

I didn't buy mine from a parallel importer. It was from one of your authorized agents in Funan Ctr. Can't remember the shop's name though I still have the receipt etc.

Does this mean I can have my X-Drive 2 looked into and if possible exchanged? Do I need to prove the problem? Please let me know how I can do so.

I do a lot of travel photograpphy and the images are very important to me. I was disappointed once in Europe and now recently in Canada! It was very distressing to me.

Well if this issue can't be resolved, I'm really considering selling it away and getting something else more reliable.

Got mine frm Funan too! S$199 from PK computer. As the Ridata isn't from them, dun have a case for a claim.
The problem with the Xdrive I oledi knw beforehand and therefore I never ever delete images from the CF. I thot why delete when the Xdrive offer unlimited storage rite?

But end up I lost more than 800 images. Damn!

Hi David,

I am afraid that we do not have any resellers in Funan Centre. Though we are talking to some of the shops there, as of today, we have not passed any stocks to any shop in Funan Centre. Perhaps you may try and direct your claims to the shop where you bought the X-Drive II from.

Thanks and regards.

From what I know, Memory World is the distributor for Xdrive II, they are also the distributor for Transcend cards, etc. Xdrive I was being distributed by Printamax, they did a MO here in CS before. Frankly, there are lots of claims on distributorship with no firm/subtantiated claim lately, so I don't know who to believe. :dunno:

The XdriveI/II issue is a known problem and is often talked (cursed) about in international forums, I don't think ours are isolated cases.

Like David, I was disappointed by this kind of quality level. I will steer clear of any product from the manufacturer of Xdrive until they get their acts together.

Is it a firmware problem?

X-Drive II had a firmware update released on 9/4/03

Originally posted by Avatar
From what I know, Memory World is the distributor for Xdrive II, they are also the distributor for Transcend cards, etc. Xdrive I was being distributed by Printamax, they did a MO here in CS before. Frankly, there are lots of claims on distributorship with no firm/subtantiated claim lately, so I don't know who to believe. :dunno:

The XdriveI/II issue is a known problem and is often talked (cursed) about in international forums, I don't think ours are isolated cases.

Like David, I was disappointed by this kind of quality level. I will steer clear of any product from the manufacturer of Xdrive until they get their acts together.
Hi Avatar,

most SLS shops get their IT product stock from a major Taiwanese supplier who is the distributor of the X-Drive II in Taiwan.

If you check with X-Drive II manufacturer, Vosonic Corp, EastGear.com is the only distributor of the X-Drive II in Singapore. EastGear.com have also bought over Printamax recently from their parent company Firefish Design.

As this is a sensitive topic, we hope any individual with concerns to contact the relevant companies directly. This thread and forum is not the place to discuss such matters.

EastGear

Status
Not open for further replies.