Ridata 4GB 150x CF problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cecil

Mar 1, 2006
Eunos
www.1digital.com.sg
Bought a 4BG 150x Ridata CF and used it for the first time in Chiang Mai and two thirds of the way encountered card error and cannot use it anymore. Anyone facing this problem?

Had bought one during the IT show...

Shot about 500 shots in 2-3 outing....no issue....

Bought a 4BG 150x Ridata CF and used it for the first time in Chiang Mai and two thirds of the way encountered card error and cannot use it anymore. Anyone facing this problem?

Just checking. Did you format the card in the camera before taking the first picture? I bought an 8G version. No issues.

Got the same problem. Formatted with the camera and all, worked for about a month perfect before now it says memory card full after 30+ photos. Gonna change tomorrow :cry:

Got the same problem. Formatted with the camera and all, worked for about a month perfect before now it says memory card full after 30+ photos. Gonna change tomorrow :cry:

I got this from Eastgear. No issued. Taken around 1000 shoot. No problem.

If you do a web search, you will find that this is a known issue among certain batch of Ridata 2GB and 4 GB CFs. Have it exchanged at Eastgear.

i also encounter problem with my Ridata 4GB CF card. After take abt 200pics, discovered that a portion of the pics are missing. Only managed to recover them using image rescus software. Anyone having similar problems? :cry: so sad, my first ridata card. lost confidence liao

My 4GB is doing good so far. I think you can get it changed at EastGear. Very nice folks over there.

Sent mine in to Eastgear. No 1 to 1 swop cos the 4GB is out of stock. Now gotta wait 2+ weeks for them to send back to US for repair. CF card can repair one meh? Its just a memory chip on a small circuit board, and likely the problem coming from the chip itself.

Quite sian i should have just got Sandisk Ultra II.

Sigh....me have data corruption issue with the 4GB that I've gotten from EG. I've made sure that I've formatted the card using the camera before use. After 1 full day of shooting at the Zoo, I was still able to preview it on the camera. When I tried downloading them to my PC, cable link to the camera and Card Reader, the folders and files were garbage, i.e. all files and folders have funny symbols as filename. Troubleshoot for 2 hours but no luck, still can preview in camera but cannot on PC.

Manage to get hold of Image Rescue that came with the Lexar 1GB CF (free gift from Canon), then managed to recover all my photos + ....get this, a folder entitled NERO 7.... Reloaded!!!! :bigeyes: That's definitely not mine as it's my first time using the card. Refurbished CF Card???

My goodness! Refurbished and sell as brand new...too much...:angry:

I'm going back to get it a refund man! If not, at least change for other stuffs...

maybe you guys who have problem can start listing down serial number.

Btw, I have one too. So far no problem, except encounter one filename has extra digit, very strange. Crossing my fingers, but so far so good.

maybe you guys who have problem can start listing down serial number.

Btw, I have one too. So far no problem, except encounter one filename has extra digit, very strange. Crossing my fingers, but so far so good.

It's coming....:bsmilie:

Mine just died after 2 months... now waiting for the 1-to-1 replacement from EastGear (no stock currently). Lucky only test shots... The card suddenly died - unreadable by normal reader and my 30D gave "Err CF".

I may go back to Sandisk.

Mine just died after 2 months... now waiting for the 1-to-1 replacement from EastGear (no stock currently). Lucky only test shots... The card suddenly died - unreadable by normal reader and my 30D gave "Err CF".

I may go back to Sandisk.

Most probably, me too! ;)

honestly, there's nothing wrong with brand/card/model for such failures in CF cards...

i personally got dead cards from kingston/lexar/trancend/sandisk. so i guess it's a good play of luck here.

perhaps one good way for holidays would be investing on multiple smaller cards and/or, a hdd backup device. =)

honestly, there's nothing wrong with brand/card/model for such failures in CF cards...

i personally got dead cards from kingston/lexar/trancend/sandisk. so i guess it's a good play of luck here.

perhaps one good way for holidays would be investing on multiple smaller cards and/or, a hdd backup device. =)
Some truth in what you said. But it's the first impression that influence a lot.
My experience with Ridata has really gone down the drain. Trojan75 and I bought the card, brand new, from EG and both our card have problem. So, what are the chances? Batch problem? How can they reassure me that the replacement will not be from the same batch? Plus, seems like there are so many people facing problem with the card worldwide, though possibly only a minority. I think I should play my cards safe.
As for hdd backup device, sure it's always good to have one around. But what if your CF card gives up on you? I think having multiple tested cards would be a more sound solution. No point for me to have 2-3 of the same card, like the thread title, and in the end have no pictures to bring home at the end of a holiday trip...:(

Some truth in what you said. But it's the first impression that influence a lot.
My experience with Ridata has really gone down the drain. Trojan75 and I bought the card, brand new, from EG and both our card have problem. So, what are the chances? Batch problem? How can they reassure me that the replacement will not be from the same batch? Plus, seems like there are so many people facing problem with the card worldwide, though possibly only a minority. I think I should play my cards safe.
As for hdd backup device, sure it's always good to have one around. But what if your CF card gives up on you? I think having multiple tested cards would be a more sound solution. No point for me to have 2-3 of the same card, like the thread title, and in the end have no pictures to bring home at the end of a holiday trip...:(

the hard drive back up device would allow you to backup your pictures into it. those "killer" shots could be saved in there right after you shot them...

but then again, these devices are not shockproof. you drop it, it's gone... =)

I tried many brands of card, I did not have any extraordinary problems with Kingston, Lexar nor Sandisk. However, I cannot say the same thing for the rest. I did a survey of all many of my friends who shoots, both in Singapore and elsewhere, same answers. I now use only Kingston, becasue I got a good deal awhile back when switching to 4GB cards.

I worked with some vendors who are also in the flash memory market, it all boils down to the demand from the OEM. There are only a handfull of flash memory suppliers feeding to many OEMs. To control cost, to support the dirt cheap prices, quality control is the first to suffer. Lower QC demand, cheaper the cost, cheaper the price to the consumer.

At the end of the day, the consumer willo decide if the lower prices justify the higher risks.

the hard drive back up device would allow you to backup your pictures into it. those "killer" shots could be saved in there right after you shot them...

but then again, these devices are not shockproof. you drop it, it's gone... =)
I have infinately more problems with portable HDD/card reader combo then I have with flash memories+HDD+all others computrer related problems combined.

The low cost HDD/card reader housing simply SUCKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.