Ricoh GXR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
Any one thought of this camera? its a good camera with inter changable lens n sensor size varies with the lens that goes with it.

To expensive even to think about. You go an check the price first then see if still want to use it.

Any one thought of this camera? its a good camera with inter changable lens n sensor size varies with the lens that goes with it.

very gd camera love the colours alot, but focusing quite slow for the 50mm lens. can try the 24-70 focusing wil be faster

Good stuff!too expensive!

anyway how much is it?

It has been discussed in Others subforum

Go there and read

GXR is not m4/3

It is a most unusual way to address the problem, which would be typical of Ricoh.

If they continue to supply lens/sensor modules for years, it's a good idea but at this moment, it's just unusual and unusual seems typical for Ricoh's cameras. They seem to be more worried about office copying machines.

...having one with 33mmf2.5macro lens, fun camera and kinda like its ev & wb controls.
here's couple of pics taken hand-held in macro mode.....jpeg, straight out from camera.

4278180984_ed8f61f51f_o.jpg

4278181122_882e93cdd0_o.jpg

i played ard with my friend's set for awhile, agree that the focus on the 50mm is kinda slow, but the colors are great.
if u have the dough, and dont' want a DSLR, can consider this, and hope that ricoh would have more lens in their lineup soon, or release a 4/3 sensor adaptor, which was rumored at dpreview forums

The color is vibrant and natural! Nice!

....nice little camera to carry around.

4299348811_1f8b63c237.jpg

I just bought the GXR + A12.

Now I have A12 for 50mm, and GRDIII for 28mm.

I also bought the EVF

Bought the GXR with A12 + VF2 yesterday too.

Nice small camera with high IQ to carry around.
But AF is really a big setback for this camera.
Hope that it can be resolve with firmware update if not, A12 can't really be use for quick snap moment.

Agree with you.

After a couple of days experience, my view is:

CONS
The A12 Module has got slow AF. Okay for still life or poses. Not okay for spontaneous pics like street photography or children running around. For the latter, you will miss pics because the action will be too fast for the AF to lock, and so you will need to use the snap function to pre-select a fixed focal distance. This needs practice.

The LCD screen freezes when the A12 Module is focusing. The LCD screen unfreezes only after focus is attained. This means that for the duration of the focusing / hunting process you cannot see the subject on the LCD screen. I find it strange very few reviews have highlighted this problem. barjohn on ricoh forums and dpreview does describe this problem.

PROS
Picture quality excellent, creamy bokeh, small form factor

If you use the custom settings prescribed by odklizec (credits to him) (http://www.ricohforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4025) you can attain some Leica-like dreamy pics. I think all GXR owners should try out these detailed color settings because they are simply amazing.

In my view the best (and probably harshest) appraisal is by barjohn at this link. His analysis is deepest and most honest, and for better or worse I must agree with his conclusions:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&thread=34260427

For easy reading, his post is produced here:

An Open Request to Ricoh and to Assist with an Informed Buying Decision [SIMILAR]
barjohn [GALLERY] - 1 month ago
I have purchased the GXR with A12. I have identified the following issues that need to be addressed by Ricoh in firmware. I believe that most of these issues can be either fixed or improved in firmware. At the same time I think prospective buyers need to know as much as possible about the camera and any shortcomings it may have. Further, despite these issues, I believe it is an excellent camera, especially when used in zone focus (snap) mode and with the fixing of these items it could be an all around winner. It's major competition in IQ will be the Samsung NX and the Leica X1. From the raw images I have seen I think it will fair very well except for those with vivid imaginations that think they see some mysterious Leica glow but would be unable to identify it in a blind test (it's actually red dot glare).

My list of issues with the GXR/A12:

Auto Focus Issues:
1. Slow spot mode auto focus in normal room light level, reaches acceptable though not GF1 speeds as light level increases (avg. full press AF speed =1.08sec) (GF1 avg. full press AF speed =0.36sec with 20mm f1.7 lens, average speed with 14mm-45mm zoom at 14mm is 0.23sec)
2. Multi-autofocus is so slow it is almost unusable except for still life (Avg. focus speed 1.39sec)
3. Image in the EVF & LCD freezes during AF then jumps to a new position when focus is achieved
4. Low light level for focus assist light to come on is set too low resulting in inability to lock focus in conditions that are brighter than conditions in which the light turns on and auto focus is achieved

Manual Focus Issues:
1. Center magnify is insufficient and needs to be either made adjustable and set in a menu (like one button playback magnify) or have two steps 5X and 10X
2. Focus ring response is jumpy and moves in click steps rather than in a smooth continuous motion and the lens response lags the physical change causing focus to be missed as one overshoots the focus point and then on return undershoots the focus point
3. In full manual mode the image brightness on the LCD or EVF varies with the exposure setting making manual focus in low light difficult; this may be by design to show the user what the exposure looks like but there needs to be a simple override during manual focusing such as when turning the focus ring it should automatically brighten the image to assist with focusing

Other Issues:
1. Screen leaves live view after shutter release for about 1.9sec. This results in a blank screen for the 2 seconds or if image review is on and set to less than 2 seconds, the image is frozen for the period of review less than the blank time
2. If reviewing an image (playback), a full press of the shutter takes it out of playback but does not fire a shot in auto focus or manual mode (the GF1 will focus and fire the shutter)
3. When auto flash mode is selected the TTL feature does not seem to function properly and images either over or under expose
I hope this is of help to both Ricoh engineers and forum members. As a software engineer, I think some of these issues could be resolved by double buffering which would improve the perception of responsiveness by making the camera more responsive. Also, examining the servo loop software algorithm might gain improved performance. I realize there are some limits inherent in the macro lens design and the sensor readout speed but within those limits improvements are clearly possible as seen in bright light performance.

-- hide signature --
John
Visit my web gallery at:
http://www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

Last edited:
Body over $700, 50mm over $1K, 24-70mm over $650. So what do you think, cheap ah. :bsmilie:

price drop liao... yesterday i buy the price as follows:

Inclusive GST
Body: 662
A12: 823
EVF: 290
extra Battery: 60

I also checked the GRD3 price is 995. GRD3 holding value well. got bigger following.

the 24-70mm got no stock.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022301ricohgxrmodules.asp

Ricoh announces the development of two new units for the
GXR interchangeable unit camera system

Tokyo, Japan, February 23, 2010—Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the development of two new camera units for the GXR interchangeable unit camera system introduced on December 18, 2009.

The GXR is a revolutionary new interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses can be changed by mounting camera units that integrate lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single unit. In addition, to fully utilize this system's unique ability to accommodate interchangeable units other than camera units, Ricoh is also investigating possibilities for development of a variety of other devices.

This announcement concerns the introduction of the following two new camera units, as an addition to the two camera units introduced at the same time as the GXR body.

Camera unit RICOH LENS P10 28-300 mm F3.5-5.6 VC* (name tentative)*2

* With an original Ricoh noise reduction function and a back-illuminated CMOS sensor, this camera unit expands the photographer's range of expression by making it possible to shoot high-quality images in scenes ranging from low light to bright light.
* Featuring a high-magnification 10.7x (28-300 mm) optical wide-angle zoom, this unit has 120 frame/second high-speed continuous shooting ability plus a wide range of other functional capabilities such as RAW image recording, image settings adjustable to nine levels, multi-target AF, and much more.
* Start of sales planned for the summer of 2010.

Camera unit GR LENS A12 28 mm F2.5 (name tentative)*2

* Featuring a newly developed 28 mm fixed-focal-length GR LENS, this camera unit achieves high resolution and high imaging power.
* A 23.6 mm × 15.7 mm (APS-C size) CMOS sensor is used. The combination of this sensor with the GR ENGINE Ⅲ image processing engine enables the camera unit to shoot high-quality images with smooth tone gradations as well as high definition and low noise.
* There is a manual focus ring that can be used for precise focus adjustments.
* Start of sales planned for the winter of 2010.

We plan to have RICOH LENS P10 28-300 mm F3.5-5.6 VC camera units on display at the CP(+) CAMERA & PHOTO IMAGING SHOW to be held at PACIFICO Yokohama from March 11 (Thu.) to March 14 (Sun.).

*1The "VC" designation indicates that this unit has the vibration correction function developed independently by Ricoh.

*2The names, specifications, and release timing of the above products are subject to change.
All of the lens focal lengths in this release are converted to the equivalent values for a 35 mm film camera.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.