Ricoh GRIII

MichaelLee

May 19, 2003
JB, SG
Thread for news, issues, opinion, accessories, Q&A, picture sharing for GRIII. The legendary of photoGRapher street camera continues.

The Ricoh GRIII final production unit are on display this week at CP+ Yokohama. I managed to have 2 units with me and those whose want to have their hands on, you may come and have a try on 4th March. I have not used the camera enough yet, and here is to share my opinion

Like it Very Much
The new 24mp sensor, expandable to ISO102,400 (I would say ISO3200 is very usable, and ISO6400 is acceptable to me)
Sharper image with a combination of newly designed lens and AA filter free
3-4 stop IS
Crop mode to be able to shoot both 35mm and 50mm in RAW format
Snap mode with various setting in the distance
Smaller body and the design of button , button customisation

Dust removal - hopefully this would eliminate the dust goes into the sensor issue from GR and GRII
Hybrid AF (phase and contrast detection) *So far no issue on GR and GRII, slightly improved I would say in GRIII
6cm Marco
WiFi and Bluetooth
Touch screen
In camera charged by power bank

Dislike
Remove the exposure +/- button at the right thumb placing area
Battery although is higher capacity, but due to higher mepapixel and all other improved features, it is higher battery consumption. Average shot per batter is 200

Neutral
No flip screen
Remove flash
No 4K video recording

Reactions: pinholecam
IMG_20190302_1917293.jpg
IMG_20190302_1921177.jpg

some sample shots? your take of those shots? thanks

not much from me yet but you may bring your own SD card to try during hands on session this evening.

if it is weather sealled, it would be great to shoot kid water play.

as carrying a big WR dslr may attract too much attention in kid play ground.

a WR version would fully replace my GoPro 5 as all weather daily camera

200 shots per charge. that's about 4-5 rolls of 36 exposures, if you review your images from time to time. Not much use to have a very portable camera with a depleted battery. Unlike GRD4 which has AAA battery option.

i just hope that battery life can be improved by switching off IBS when we don't need it like during daytime.

Hi all, I did a review of the Ricoh GRIII, which was loaned to me courtesy of Michael. Review and sample shots can be found here. Will post a few shots in this thread as well.

Thanks for the sharing, mind sharing how is the AF reliability compared to the II ?

Is the transfer of photos using WiFi improved too? (I really hope they have moved from using the device browser)

Screenshot 2019-03-14 at 9.34.47 AM.png

seems like its available to purchase in Bangkok Authorised distributor already too.

Thanks for the sharing, mind sharing how is the AF reliability compared to the II ?

Is the transfer of photos using WiFi improved too? (I really hope they have moved from using the device browser)

Ah, I don't have a GR II to compare the autofocus with, but the GR III's autofocus does hunt from time to time, especially in low light or when it cannot lock onto a subject with enough contrast, which is a little odd considering it has phase-detect autofocus.

I tried using the Image Sync app, but I think it needs updating because it says that the GR III isn't supported. This should be an easy fix though.

short shipment for 1st batch. many pre-order not fulfilled. Camera is too HOT.

Any users/owners experience a 'clunking sound' similar to the sound you get when rotating a DSLR's macro lens? To replicate this sound, take your GR3 by the palm, gently rotate your wrist, you should hear a gentle 'zzzz, clucking' sort of sound.

yes. this is the build in IS.

Getting accessories today (external charger, battery, adapter and wide angle adapter).

IMG_20190318_175712.jpg