Ricoh GR Digital IV

sanfong

Dec 4, 2007
Yes. Finally got the limited white version after waiting so many weeks.

I have briefly compared it with my current Ricoh GR Digital III. The first impression on holding the limited white version was glossy, the buttons feel abit flimsy... but Ricoh are good at building a good camera. I still have Ricoh GR Digital I working great. The white cap and white hand strap were nice touch to pair with the white camera. Maybe its getting use to it, I feel Ricoh GR Digital III was more solid than Ricoh GR Digital IV. The four way control on IV was not as solid as III. I love the snap function of GR Digital Series cameras. There is a new add on in IV which you no longer can set the pre focus distance just like III but instead, the distance can be either auto or set manually in the menu for IV. Its a new function which I need to adapt to and learn how it works. So far I tried it with a few shots, most of time it managed to get the correct distance. Impressive!

I will share more discoveries on Ricoh GR Digital IV. ;)

Welcome all Ricoh GRD IV users to chip in their views too. :)

09/11/11 5:15pm

What I like about this GRD IV:
1. Do not have face detection
2. Do not have fancy articulating LCD
3. Do not have fancy touch screen
4. Do not have GPS
5. Do not have high MP
6. Do not have loud shutter sound
7. Do not have Zoom
8. Do not have 1080p HD video recording
9. Do not have firmware to fix bugs but only have firmwares to add in MORE SHOOTING FUNCTIONS/OPTIONS
10. Do not have plasticky feeling

Sounds like I'm complaining but I'm really not. I'm glad that Ricoh did not include above these functions because I really only want to do PHOTOGRAPHY!!! Most importantly their updates are not nonsense. So long Ricoh keep my camera alive, Ricoh have my money.

12/11/11 7:46pm

I'm purely using GRD for my day to day shots in the street. I do not require playful functions at all. However today I tried the multi exposure and it is easy to use. Maybe I could explore it to use it for street photo.. hmm.. Oh here is another new add on, interval shooting hmm... I'm starting to think sometimes when run out of theme to shoot, dig into this camera menu and let it inspires!!

12/11/11 8:00pm

Dun worry that you run out of juice. Go to nearest shop to get 2x AAA batteries and pop it in. I've tried once, it was not fast but it does saved me when emergency. :)

05/03/12 9:30am
Looks like recent firmware update has addressed our concern on the focus distance for SNAP. You can pair it Fn1 SNAP/AF with Fn2 Focus distance.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting the GRD IV as an everyday-use camera (GXR still a bit big to carry around everyday) but also considering your GRD I or II. But if getting IV probably will stick to black for a more stealthy look. You felt that the GRD III is more solid than IV, is that comparing only with the white version or does black VI also feel the same?

Yes. Finally got the limited white version after waiting so many weeks.

I have briefly compared it with my current Ricoh GR Digital III. The first impression on holding the limited white version was glossy, the buttons feel abit flimsy... but Ricoh are good at building a good camera. I still have Ricoh GR Digital I working great. The white cap and white hand strap were nice touch to pair with the white camera. Maybe its getting use to it, I feel Ricoh GR Digital III was more solid than Ricoh GR Digital IV. The four way control on IV was not as solid as III. I love the snap function of GR Digital Series cameras. There is a new add on in IV which you no longer can set the pre focus distance just like III but instead, the distance can be either auto or set manually in the menu for IV. Its a new function which I need to adapt to and learn how it works. So far I tried it with a few shots, most of time it managed to get the correct distance. Impressive!

I will share more discoveries on Ricoh GR Digital IV. ;)

how much did you paid for? TQ.

I am thinking of getting the GRD IV as an everyday-use camera (GXR still a bit big to carry around everyday) but also considering your GRD I or II. But if getting IV probably will stick to black for a more stealthy look. You felt that the GRD III is more solid than IV, is that comparing only with the white version or does black VI also feel the same?

As I mentioned in my previous post, yer you are right that I felt GRD III is very solid than GRD IV. The first thing you noticed is the four way buttons. I dun know whether is it the white version. Reason because the limited edition model was white glossy finish. But I think the four way button is same on the black. I prefer GRD III.

GRD cameras are great for everyday use. But GRD I & II have two major slow which is focusing and writing RAW files. Some claims GRD I can produce near film photos. If you ok with the slow focus and dun use RAW, then GRD I and II are good for your consideration. And they are well built too. I still kept these cameras and they are in very good working conditions.

As I mentioned in my previous post, yer you are right that I felt GRD III is very solid than GRD IV. The first thing you noticed is the four way buttons. I dun know whether is it the white version. Reason because the limited edition model was white glossy finish. But I think the four way button is same on the black. I prefer GRD III.

GRD cameras are great for everyday use. But GRD I & II have two major slow which is focusing and writing RAW files. Some claims GRD I can produce near film photos. If you ok with the slow focus and dun use RAW, then GRD I and II are good for your consideration. And they are well built too. I still kept these cameras and they are in very good working conditions.

I had taken a look at both versions of GRD IV and was concerned with the less-solid build compared to previous GRDs. Both the faster AF and VC do seem tempting. I am fine with the RAW writing speed on GRD I and II as I did own them previously, until I switched over to DSLR. Will contact you if I am getting either :D

I had taken a look at both versions of GRD IV and was concerned with the less-solid build compared to previous GRDs. Both the faster AF and VC do seem tempting. I am fine with the RAW writing speed on GRD I and II as I did own them previously, until I switched over to DSLR. Will contact you if I am getting either :D

Great!! Welcome to the family. :)

Thanks for the info.

The price for GRD IV is reasonable, considering its going for US$649 in the US (limited edition).
We usually end up paying more here in SG :-(
If luck is on your side, and you can live without the faster AF and VC, you may pick up a new GRD III for around $570, which I thought is a good price for a good camera.
Certainly a camera that I'll carry around and take pictures with. Will be bringing this for overseas trips.

The price for GRD IV is reasonable, considering its going for US$649 in the US (limited edition).
We usually end up paying more here in SG :-(
If luck is on your side, and you can live without the faster AF and VC, you may pick up a new GRD III for around $570, which I thought is a good price for a good camera.
Certainly a camera that I'll carry around and take pictures with. Will be bringing this for overseas trips.

I agree that we are are always paying more than other countries. Probably our consumer population are not comparable them.

Just to share I'm actually contented with GRD III, I bought the limited edition is for collection. Now it is sitting in my dry cabinet, maybe one day I would sell it in eBay for double of the price I'm paying then I will get the black one. Honestly, I worry it would loss its beautiful whiteness. I feel the black one is more feasible for daily use. I'm thinking to get a black GRD IV when I finished strictly daily shooting with GRD III.

Last edited:
Welcome all Ricoh GRD IV users to chip in their view. :)

By the way, you folks keen to pick up a color lens ring to dress up your GRD III or GRD IV?
Check out the MO forum! Thanks :)

By the way, you folks keen to pick up a color lens ring to dress up your GRD III or GRD IV?
Check out the MO forum! Thanks :)

Just when I'm looking for it in eBay, and here is your post. :)

Got my GRD4 (black) after having eyed the GRD3 for sometime. I felt I made the right choice about this over the X10. The legendary full-press snap, snap focus and the really really useful settings on the main dial are godsend for street photography. The only thing I need to get used to is the 28mm focal length. I love fixed focal lengths though, none of my cameras nor lenses have zooms on them. It's funny how I'm now a lot more excited about this than my also recently purchased Fuji X100.

Got my GRD4 (black) after having eyed the GRD3 for sometime. I felt I made the right choice about this over the X10. The legendary full-press snap, snap focus and the really really useful settings on the main dial are godsend for street photography. The only thing I need to get used to is the 28mm focal length. I love fixed focal lengths though, none of my cameras nor lenses have zooms on them. It's funny how I'm now a lot more excited about this than my also recently purchased Fuji X100.

I can't tell how does it feel more excited than X100 cos I dun owned one. haha... But I definitely knows how does it feel to be the owner of GRD IV!!

I agreed that you have to adapt and develop the habit of using 28mm. But I can assure you that wun waste your money. When I starting with GRD, most of time I do wish it has zoom. Then I bought GX100 and din like it!! As I get use to it, I really dislike the convenient of the zoom cos I feel its a distraction to my pre-visualise.

So have patience and you will know what I mean. :) Hope you can share some photo here too. ;)

I have the acmaxxx stick on uv filter in front of the lens (as I've read that dust can be an issue), but anyone knows if the metal lens cap can then be fixed on with the filter?

I have the acmaxxx stick on uv filter in front of the lens (as I've read that dust can be an issue), but anyone knows if the metal lens cap can then be fixed on with the filter?

The lens cap is catch on the lens mount (lens ring have to be removed for using it). Alternatively, attached GH-2 and can use any commercial filter. Check out eBay, but I'm suspicious on the ulu brands. I got a Marumi CPL from SLRRev yesterday. You might want to check out for UV filter.

Btw do you find the Ac-Maxx filter affect IQ?

Last edited:
The lens cap is catch on the lens mount (lens ring have to be removed for using it). Alternatively, attached GH-2 and can use any commercial filter. Check out eBay, but I'm suspicious on the ulu brands. I got a Marumi CPL from SLRRev yesterday. You might want to check out for UV filter.

Btw do you find the Ac-Maxx filter affect IQ?

Thanks bro. I'm resisting the use of the adapter because I want to keep the grd as compact as possible although the hood does look kinda sexy. From what I see, the acmaxx filter doesn't affect iq. Just that I tend to touch it accidentally, hence having to clean it often (as it's just an exposed glass stuck in front of lens). If the lens cap could accommodate the filter then I wouldn't have to worry as much when i toss it in the bag.

Thanks bro. I'm resisting the use of the adapter because I want to keep the grd as compact as possible although the hood does look kinda sexy. From what I see, the acmaxx filter doesn't affect iq. Just that I tend to touch it accidentally, hence having to clean it often (as it's just an exposed glass stuck in front of lens). If the lens cap could accommodate the filter then I wouldn't have to worry as much when i toss it in the bag.

Thanks for sharing bro. I think lens cap is useful to protect Acmaxx filter.

Hi guys, am about to get a grd iv soon but was wondering if there a auto lenscap for the grd series and that it can be screw on to the new grd iv?