Ricoh Caplio G4 wide

Status
Not open for further replies.

a7man

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
Any one uses this camera? care to comment? I am attracted to it cos of the 28mm wide angle and its price. Any other digicam that starts from 28 mm onwards ?

thks.

mpenza bought this camera as well, and posted some pictures, which look pretty good and has pretty decent noise levels. PM him about it.

I'm interested in this cam as well

used it b4... infact my brother bought it.... got it from ms color w free lithuim battery, it can use either the lithuim batt or 2 AAs....
my opinion....

Pros :
veri fast autofocus...beats any prosumer digicam... and i bright light i think can fight with the slower slrs... onli in pretty dark situations does the autofocus take a bit longer...but it still beats my oly c730, the cp5700, g5 etc....
Startup time is also veri fast...
pictures are pretty sharp and can go up to iso 800...
excellent macro ... veri sharp.... and can go veri veri close..... i think its 1 cm....
wide angle....
flash is full ttl n has redeye modes etc...
Cons :
zoom control is like the nikon cp2100/3100, at the back, not at the shutter button...( not realli a con, juz takes gettin used 2 )
No manual controls... onli got scene modes...
no aperture priority/ shutter proirity, manual, program .....
exposure gets tricked sometimes esp when pic has veri bright part and shaded part tends to overexpose,... but onli happens occasionally ....
juz do exposure correction n shoot again....
........there is some barrel distortion(?) at wide....( the image is curved ) more than expected ....but.....
even expensive slr lens have distortion sooo it is kinda expected .....
no lens thread... but if u got money to get accesories, like tcons etc can get more expensive camera liao...

comments,...
4 its price i think its hard to beat... eventhough not from a "branded" company like canon/nikon etc... thier comparable offerings are more expensive... quick autofocus makes it fun to shoot... dun haf to wait.......................den shoot.... , can juz shoot.... macro is also excellent, at least comparable to the nikon offerings imo..... unfortunately it lacks manual control ....

Thks for those who reply..anyway..how is the noise level and the quality of the night shots?

There's no noise reduction, so long exposure (the camera supports up to 8s) will result in lots of hot pixels.

mpenza said:
There's no noise reduction, so long exposure (the camera supports up to 8s) will result in lots of hot pixels.

ok..thks for all the info

Status
Not open for further replies.