Ricoh Announced a new Theta 360-Degree Camera

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Source: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/39...60-degree-smart-phone-controlled-theta-camera

MAIN-CUT-THETA-front_back.jpg

Ricoh has unveiled their new Theta digital camera, which can take 360-degree panoramas with its two ultra-wide-angle lenses.

The stylish and thin Theta can be controlled via your iOS device after you've downloaded the appropriate app. There's no live preview of the photo you're about to take, so you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. If you're using your smartphone to capture the image, the photo will be automatically downloaded to your mobile device. You can also use the Theta independently and transfer the photos to your phone or computer at a later time.

Pretty cool, isn't it?

Wonder how many people would pay $400USD for such a gadget though.

Better than I expected.
I can see some possibilities. (eg. On a self made hot air balloon; on a remote hellicopter; on a high pole; etc)
Then there is the usual pano shots (hell! even stuff it in a car engine for a shot! )

With iphone stuff and the facebook/twitter generation, who knows what ppl are willing to pay for.
Think BEATS headphones....
Having "Face" is priceless, being able to show off to friends on Facebook or other social media sites that "Hey! here I am!" "I'm enjoying THIS! at the restaurant." etc

Of course, this sort of 'lifestyle' product need marketing to drive home the imagination to the masses.
And we know that Ricoh/Pentax isn't too good at that. :D

I wish for its success of course.

If it sells at $99, I'm sure a lot people don't mind having one to play w/ their phones. But at $399, I don't know. It's pretty much a one purpose fun camera, the idea is good. Might be useful to put on a UAV for some surveillance panorama shots.

If it sells at $99, I'm sure a lot people don't mind having one to play w/ their phones. But at $399, I don't know. It's pretty much a one purpose fun camera, the idea is good. Might be useful to put on a UAV for some surveillance panorama shots.

A BEATS earphone/Headphone is $3xx-$4xx and its just a headphone. (some diaphragm, an amp, DSP, and associated electronics, arguably, can even solder up one myself after visiting SimLim Tower to get the components :D ) , but ppl still pay for them to look stylo milo.
This sort of 'lifestyle' product, its hard to say.
If it captures the public's imagination it can do well
So who knows.....

But as I've said, no marketing, no success for this sort of stuff.... (mho)

what is the sensor size and resolution?

what is the sensor size and resolution?

4G internal memory can hold 1200 shots, and two sensors in such a tiny body, I bet the sensor is gonna be a tiny one, although details are not exposed yet. Read somewhere the photo is really noisy at ISO800.

You can read more there:

https://theta360.com/en/concept/

This thing can sell to google for Google maps... Hehe

I could think of a few uses already!
1. Replace google car going around to take pictures, it's very powerful to be able to load Its 360 degreeimages on google map or apple map.

2. Use it to do surveillance of around your house.

3. Take a snap shot of shop in case there are robbers in the shop.

4. Look behind you without turning around.

5. Parking your car.

A BEATS earphone/Headphone is $3xx-$4xx and its just a headphone. (some diaphragm, an amp, DSP, and associated electronics, arguably, can even solder up one myself after visiting SimLim Tower to get the components :D ) , but ppl still pay for them to look stylo milo.
This sort of 'lifestyle' product, its hard to say.
If it captures the public's imagination it can do well
So who knows.....

But as I've said, no marketing, no success for this sort of stuff.... (mho)

Come to think of it, every army needs it for FIBUA :D

I could think of a few uses already!
1. Replace google car going around to take pictures, it's very powerful to be able to load Its 360 degreeimages on google map or apple map.

2. Use it to do surveillance of around your house.

3. Take a snap shot of shop in case there are robbers in the shop.

4. Look behind you without turning around.

5. Parking your car.

Come to think of it, every army needs it for FIBUA :D

Ok, I heard you. Might use it in our future products :) We just bought a GoPro cam for some projects which I think the Theta would have been a better choice.

LoL!! Best comments that I've read so far about this new camera.. Haha!

Ok, I heard you. Might use it in our future products :) We just bought a GoPro cam for some projects which I think the Theta would have been a better choice.

Cool!

Remember to order one in green :D

I think is fun, but IQ sure bad...
Since 400$, may be will QX10 is better choice to play with

Cool!

Remember to order one in green :D

Gaffer might work too! Saw the commercial for this. First thought a fun party camera and also real estate:) steep price though

unfortunately will not be available here

I wants for hiking and backpacking. What's the going price to bring in nowadays?