RH settings for dry cabi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiNn

Nov 26, 2006
whats is the most suitable and appropriate RH settings for my dry cabinet to store my dslr ?

I'm sure you can find this in almost any other dry cabi posts. Anyway, a setting between 45% to 55% should be sufficient.

thanks bro

There have been quite a few threads covering this topic if you do a search. Some people recommend 40%-50% RH while others recommend 45%-55%. IMHO anything between this range should be quite OK. I keep the humidity levels in my dry cabinets at around 45%-47%.

A little too dry for rubber.

It is also said that if the settings are too low it will affect the SWM of the lenses.....:think:

this is just fyi.

Rubber only products by itself is best stored (long term) coated with talc powder. High RH usually doesn't do any harm so long as the powder isn't damp. Short periods of damp powder is ok so long as it's allowed to dry off.

It is also said that if the settings are too low it will affect the SWM of the lenses.....:think:

heard the same thing too. the SWM emitts a sharp high pitched noise then in operation. Maybe the lubrication in the gears dried up? :sweat:

Ok, looks like I've been doing the right thing.

My dry-cabbies are set super dry, around 30%. The film SLRs rubber parts are lightly coated with talc-powder to prevent dtickiness and over drying, and after using any bodies or lenses, I wipe down with damp cloth to remove any dirt or grime, re-coat with talc and into the cabs it goes...

This I Think should be quite ok I feel...
:think:
The talc powder may create dust problem if somehow enter the body and reach the sensor.

I stand on manufacturer suggested 40-50%RH.

Regards,
Arto.

Yes you have a point, which is why I always wipe down the lens barrel and zoom grip before mounting for a session.

It's tedious - but setting aside money to acquire all these lenses is EVEN more tedious..!
:bsmilie:

But wouldn't you get at least some talc powder (& some 'floating') around in your dry cabinet? :sweat:

From most recommendations, it's 40%-50% RH.

One questions for folks using the dry cab, have anyone tested the Humidity meter?

My dry cab is about 15 years old with an analog meter and is set to 45%RH. Sometime last year, I got a digital meter just to compair the readings. I notice the analog meter is reading about 10%RH higher, i.e. when it shows 45%RH, the digital meter shows 35%RH. I've now resetted it to show 50%RH (analog) and 40%RH (digital).

Though you guys might interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.