RGB vs CMYK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Just a thought... is there any difference if you set your pics with RGB or CMYK? cos by default pictures are taken with RGB rite? den if we use photoshop to change the color mode to CMYK, will the picture's color turn out differently?

Currently i using Gretag Macbeth Eye One to callibrate my monitor, althou not a picture, but i set the colors that i wanted, save it, sent for printout at color centres. in the end, i get colors that are way off... the printer uses CMYK, i am not sure if my monitor uses RGB or CMYK, but the color off is quite alot.

Anybody got any idea whats the problem?

the gamut for rgb is much greater than CMYK
colour shifts are normally more noticeable in the orange and blue

Normally the image is kept in RGB and only converted to CMYK for colour seperation.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i set the colors that i wanted, save it, sent for printout at color centres. in the end, i get colors that are way off... the printer uses CMYK,

Prints on photographic paper use CMY dyes, but are exposed in RGB.

CMYK prints are usually dull and lifeless. It all depends on what kind of paper you're using and the ink quality.

some prefer to work in CYMK becos it's 'easier' to deal with % then 0-255.

ortega said:
the gamut for rgb is much greater than CMYK
colour shifts are normally more noticeable in the orange and blue

Normally the image is kept in RGB and only converted to CMYK for colour seperation.

If you have an RGB image and want to print it with a CMYK printer. I find converting it to CMYK gives you better results. But you have to be careful which profile you use in Colour Setting though.

actually my main problem is, most printers uses xerox CMYK. den i sent my image i did with some colored background, the printer say its best that i convert to CMYK then send to them my image, so when they printed out the pics look a hell lot different from the image on my screen, even thou mine is calibrated. i dunno y... wat i see on screen does not = wat i see on print... should i get their printer profile instead?

My understanding is most printers will perfer sRGB in jpg format.
Case in point, images fresh out of the cam. without any adjustment in PS usually turn out better.
I usually only set to Adobe RGB for off-set printing where the printers/agencies will convert it to CMYK before going for colour seperation.

Hope it helps.

yqt said:
My understanding is most printers will perfer sRGB in jpg format.
Case in point, images fresh out of the cam. without any adjustment in PS usually turn out better.
I usually only set to Adobe RGB for off-set printing where the printers/agencies will convert it to CMYK before going for colour seperation.

Hope it helps.

oh ya... tats wat its called... off-set...

ok.. the printers doing off-set printing ask me to do CMYK, but den the color way off from my monitor to the print out... any help here?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually my main problem is, most printers uses xerox CMYK. den i sent my image i did with some colored background, the printer say its best that i convert to CMYK then send to them my image, so when they printed out the pics look a hell lot different from the image on my screen, even thou mine is calibrated. i dunno y... wat i see on screen does not = wat i see on print... should i get their printer profile instead?

I think there's this misconception here, your monitor is calibrated, but to what? If you don't have the printer profile, how is your calibration ever going to match the colours of the printer? Unless of course, you are doing the printing on your own printer, then maybe you can calibrate the printer to your monitor if it's possible.

Prismatic said:
I think there's this misconception here, your monitor is calibrated, but to what? If you don't have the printer profile, how is your calibration ever going to match the colours of the printer? Unless of course, you are doing the printing on your own printer, then maybe you can calibrate the printer to your monitor if it's possible.

tats y i told my printer that i calibrated my screen & i need their printer profile... but they told me they using xerox... so its universal... really pengz... anybody know where to get printer profile for xerox?

at least you must know the model of that Xerok Printer.

then try go to Xerok website to search and download the generic colour profile for that printer and save it in the appropriate folder.

you also need to know how to softproof it in Photoshop in order to get a resonable result.

Status
Not open for further replies.