LR Tips Review: Wacom Intuos4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSSNewsRobot

Sep 27, 2006
The Intuos4 feels great, looks gorgeous, and is extremely well-made. Photographers, designers, illustrators, and visual effects artists can all benefit from the innovations in this new line of tablets.read more

More...

Anyone using this yet? What's the price of this?

I was over at Funan last weekend and saw it at South Asia Computer prices as follows:

S - S$399
M - S$599
L - S$799

For those who are using tablet, is the smallest size good enough? I am thinking of portability. But then again, being portable but useless is no good as well. you thoughts?

size definately makes a big diff! If u use a big monitor u need a big pad. Otherwise it is quite hard to move yr hand to the screen area quickly.

I got the medium size one.

These are my impressions...

Technically, the medium size one does the job ok if you're running dual screens, but if you are running on two large 24" screens, then forget it. Get the large one or extra large one.

For those who are just starting out on a wacom, lock up your mouse and use the wacom for all mouse movements. It really would take a while to adjust to how does the wacom perform. You might experience initial hand sprains when you start using it but the more you use, the more you will get used to it.

I don't know what else to say except that the medium size one is portable enough. If you choose to buy the small one, I almost will guarantee you that you will sell it off in B&S and get the medium or the large one.

my recommendation... buy one that is proportional to your screen.

if you are using 4:3, then get a 4:3 type, if yours is 16:10, then get a 16:10 one. Or simply put, get wide one if its wide screen.

Then if you're using dual monitor, just set the tablet to 1 monitor, you still have your mouse. Most of the time, you won't be using both screen to draw together. So if you're using 2x 4:3 monitor, no point getting a wide one.

As for size of tablet, buy a tablet approximately 1/4 or 1/2 the size of the monitor. small screen lower res, bigger screen higher res, so does tablet. if you buy a tablet 1:1 with the monitor, you will tire yourself out very fast, unless you are using it for extreme precision, or for tracing large prints.

my recommendation... buy one that is proportional to your screen.

if you are using 4:3, then get a 4:3 type, if yours is 16:10, then get a 16:10 one. Or simply put, get wide one if its wide screen.

Then if you're using dual monitor, just set the tablet to 1 monitor, you still have your mouse. Most of the time, you won't be using both screen to draw together. So if you're using 2x 4:3 monitor, no point getting a wide one.

As for size of tablet, buy a tablet approximately 1/4 or 1/2 the size of the monitor. small screen lower res, bigger screen higher res, so does tablet. if you buy a tablet 1:1 with the monitor, you will tire yourself out very fast, unless you are using it for extreme precision, or for tracing large prints.

I'm newbie to tablet... if I have a 20" 16:9 screen what would be a good size to get? S or M?

To what I know, all Intuos4 models are consider as wide format tablet that could suit all the LCD monitor sizes, the tablet active area (the center area that could response with pen) will be automatically map to the max. of screen display once you installed the tablet driver.

For portability, S or M model may fit into your notebook case together. Other than size, the different of S model is, it does not has the OLED Display (for quick ref. of your shortcut keys) beside the tablet buttons (they call them ExpressKeys actually). S model has total 6 buttons while the rest models has 8 buttons.

Understand from the sales staff, they recommend M model (about 6"x9") to those art student for their art courses.

i bought the S model. It's more than enough for photoshop editing. I hate the big ones, have to move all over the place. Small ones just have to move your wrist. i'm lazy that way.

i bought the S model. It's more than enough for photoshop editing. I hate the big ones, have to move all over the place. Small ones just have to move your wrist. i'm lazy that way.

How do you find your Intuos4 tablet? It supports 2048 level of pressure sensitivity (the highest in the tablet industry technology) which give a more nature and realistic pen feeling, so do you find any different? (please take note not all software support 2048 level)

You have bought the S model is due to portability or mobility reasons (from my advice)? ;p

How do you find your Intuos4 tablet? It supports 2048 level of pressure sensitivity (the highest in the tablet industry technology) which give a more nature and realistic pen feeling, so do you find any different? (please take note not all software support 2048 level)

Can't say I can feel the difference on the pressure sensor but feels realistic enough for me. I not a real good judge on this though.

You have bought the S model is due to portability or mobility reasons (from my advice)? ;p

Sorry mate, I bought this long before I saw your post. :rolleyes: For me mobility/ portability is not the issue. I like small movements.

Can't say I can feel the difference on the pressure sensor but feels realistic enough for me. I not a real good judge on this though.

Sorry mate, I bought this long before I saw your post. :rolleyes: For me mobility/ portability is not the issue. I like small movements.

still thinking whether to upgrade my Intuos3 to Intuos4.......... :think:

still thinking whether to upgrade my Intuos3 to Intuos4.......... :think:

If your Intuos3 is in good working order, keep it. Don't waste your money upgrading. Don't get caught in consumerism. A few more buttons and pressure sensitivity don't add to your productivity, but of course if you get big bucks for your work, then I've got nothing to say. Even then, it makes no business sense spending for the same function.

If your Intuos3 is in good working order, keep it. Don't waste your money upgrading. Don't get caught in consumerism. A few more buttons and pressure sensitivity don't add to your productivity, but of course if you get big bucks for your work, then I've got nothing to say. Even then, it makes no business sense spending for the same function.

emm..... sound logic. :)

Besides 2048 pressure level, new touch ring feature is quite impressive and better than touch strip (Intuos3), the LED display for keys also looks great as I always forget what I had set on the shortcut..... will get rid of Intuos3 before upgrade to Intuos4. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.