REVIEW: Vanguard Heralder 33 Camera Bag

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
It was a trip to Bali that started me on this. I needed a bag for two bodies with lens attached (as Bali can be quite dusty in places). I tried a few brands and decided that the Vanguard (Heralder 33) had the best all round features for my needs. Quick access, tall enough for the camera attached to the longest lens - 70-200f4 IS. Overall the bag performed very well. The only thing missing was the option I wanted to convert it to a backpack with optional straps - which was not available at the time before I left. Will be looking to get hold of this for my next trip. My photography buddies with me both carried only a single body in smaller bags but they complained that they had to keep changing lenses in poor conditions - thus not optimal.

The bag had room for a 13" laptop but I resisted the temptation to bring it along as I knew I did not have the time to do any editing while I was there for only four days. So it took all my resistance to bring along my Macbook Pro 13"!

The bag itself performed very well during my trip. No issues whatsoever and it kept its shape and performed as expected to protect my gear as well as being not too uncomfortable on my shoulders. The best way to carry it was across the shoulders. It has however the capability of being converted into a backpack with a backpack harness. I recently acquired the Think Tank harness and it works wonderfully despite being able to be packed into a small bag. Especially useful for travel in urban areas and when on foot for long hours. The option to change over is great.

My only slight regret - is that the bag is not small but again, its impossible to carry what I wanted to bring to Bali in any smaller configuration.

As for the lenses - what surprised me was how slow the 135L focussed on the 5D2. So in essence it was a disappointment. However the 70-200f4 IS on the 7D was super fast focussing and near bullet proof performance. Both my friends were thoroughly impressed with its performance in terms of capability to make first class captures in really difficult conditions like shooting from a moving vehicle.

I also regretted taking the 17-40 instead of the 24-105. As I could not keep changing lenses due to the conditions, the 17-40 stayed on the 5D but the gap between the 40mm end to the 70mm end of the 70-200 (on the 7D body) was too wide. Also I found that it was quite rare that I had to use the 17mm end.

The other regret was not having a top quality ND filter Grad ND filters. I thought I could do without them (or borrow from my friends) but I was wrong. Lost opportunities. Never again! Also - I never used the 1.4 Teleconverter as the 200mm end on the 7D was long enough for most uses. On this trip, I never needed the extension tubes or a macro lens. Maybe my next trip to Bali they will come in useful.

The Vanguard Bag -
(see this page for official info - Vanguard )

Vanguard0004.JPG

How it looked filled with lenses and cameras -
Vanguard0005.JPG

The gear I brought along -
Vanguard0006.JPG

How it looks on the shoulders of my son -
Vanguard0007.JPG

Here is a Youtube video of the bag - Vanguard Heralder Camera Messenger Bag - YouTube
I forgot to add in the images above the tripod I brought along!

(NB - all images taken with G9)

Thank for posting this info, even i was looking to get all-in-one kind of bag. Just today I went and look at this bag in TK Photo, funan.
Some times i like to carry my camera with me while i go to work.

What are the pros and cons using this bag. Please share your experience.

No matter what, a shoulder bag is not an ideal bag when you want to carry 2 cam bodies with extra lenses and laptop, unless your shoulder is made of steel.

is there a smaller config which can take 1 body + lens and 2 other lenses only?

my concern with my 8DMH is that it can't take my 7D mounted with 70-200/F4L IS and 2 other lenses. if i need to bring all 3 lenses, the 70-200 cannot stay on the body cause' it's too long.

The way I see the weight of the bag with the contents is going to exert alot of pressure on a single shoulder and the sling is without a padding also. Not tiring?

ha ha :bsmilie: this is not a shoulder bag vs backpack discussion ..... pros and cons of BOTH styles have been discussed extensively

The way I see the weight of the bag with the contents is going to exert alot of pressure on a single shoulder and the sling is without a padding also. Not tiring?

There are padding on the sling wo... but I have to agree with others... it is extremely taxing on the shoulder with so heavy a load acting on one shoulder.

Thank for posting this info, even i was looking to get all-in-one kind of bag. Just today I went and look at this bag in TK Photo, funan.
Some times i like to carry my camera with me while i go to work.

What are the pros and cons using this bag. Please share your experience.

The only one model All In One I would recommend today is the Think Tank Shape Shifter. Available at TK.
This Heralder was bought from Orient Photo.

The problem with Camera bags is that there are always going to be some advantages and disadvantages. If one bag can do it all, we all have one bag only. You need to buy what you need. In this case, my criteria was a bag that could carry two camera bodies with lens attached. Access quickly from the top. Sufficient protection. These were my most critical criteria because my travel to Bali in this case was with a tour guide who will be driving us around. So the bag will not be on my shoulders no longer than 20 minutes each time before I put it down and start shooting.

Of course when I know I am going to carry the bag around for long hours, I would carry less. Also I will use the Think Tank harness to convert the bag into a backpack. It works well and distributes the weight on my shoulders. However as we all know backpack style makes for very difficult access to the gear. When carried across the shoulder, I can still access and change lenses without ever having to take off the bag or stoop down. Important if environment is not good for putting bag on the floor and you want very quick change.

No matter what, a shoulder bag is not an ideal bag when you want to carry 2 cam bodies with extra lenses and laptop, unless your shoulder is made of steel.

True. I do not carry my laptop to a travel shoot - leave it back in the hotel locked up. Also, when doing travel photography, opportunity is the key word so always carrying one body out of the bag to take quick snaps of things happening. So the bag is less one body and lens.

is there a smaller config which can take 1 body + lens and 2 other lenses only?

my concern with my 8DMH is that it can't take my 7D mounted with 70-200/F4L IS and 2 other lenses. if i need to bring all 3 lenses, the 70-200 cannot stay on the body cause' it's too long.

Yes, they do but I am not familiar with the model names. There is a smaller Heralder to my No.33. Its the No.28

Check it out here.... http://www.vanguardworld.com/index.php/en/pv/products/photo-video/detail-1-1-230-730.html

Alternatively try this model - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8ynO8Qfcw&feature=related

Yes, when carried for many hours. But I knew I was not going to carry for hours. If I was I would not have bought/used this bag. It works well as an event bag and as a field bag for travel photography for two bodies. If you NEED to carry it for long hours, get the Harness from Think Tank like I did. It also works on other brands of sling bags as long as there are two D rings on the bottom of the bag and a handle on top.

Here is an image from their site using a Vanguard harness.

The-Heralder-28-3.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, if I was do a lot of field work - while I now have the option of using the harness I bought - I may also alternatively use the Think Tank Skin Set I bought. Its a great set up to fit and carry what is needed. On the waist and shoulders together, it is less troublesome and very easy to take in and out to change lenses. The down side is that it looks geeky and does not have the same level of padding protection.