Review: Think Tank Speed Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMac08

Sep 4, 2008
Tiong Bahru,Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi, This is my first time trying to review a product. shoot from an old 4MP PNS. pardon the bad photos. i'm trying to be as straight forward as possible Bought it from TK.

My gears are 5D2 w Grip, 24-70L,135L,70-200 f2.8L IS and a 580 EX II Objective to buy this is for my overseas trip so that i can walk around with it for 2 weeks. shoulder bag definitely no go as my shoulder will die in 1 day. backpack is good but really i think is inconvenient to use. I have a flipside 400AW but with a 70200 f2.8. try flipping without the your lens flip down the drain. it just won't work with heavy lens. and i can't fit my hoods in at all. I have attached a Lens changer 25 to fit my 135L w hood. You can also use it to fit 2 hoods and squeeze your lens in the bag.but that doesn't make much senses to me.

No doubt the bag is big.i think is fine for me(1.78m tall). It is almost like an army SBO to me(bigger than SBO). The idea of weight on the hip is really comfy for my shoulder. but walking can feel some resistance but that is fine for me.

Introducing Speed Racer

The bag

3464297279_c7aeb8f0b4.jpg

The Gear

3464262301_8888e928ba.jpg

Front compartment

3465066268_5ae6dec8bf.jpg

Main Compartment(With Gear)

3464258169_856af0b0e4.jpg

Main Compartment(Empty)

3464260599_f350c6419d.jpg

Config 1-hood on for 70200,2470-not seen,attach to body with grip

3464266371_88f9f20e04.jpg

Config 2-hood on for 70200 only.NO hood for 135 and 2470

3464267669_2f79453bd1.jpg

Config 3-hood and tripod collar off for 70200.2470 and 135 still can retain hood.may feel abit tight

3465093284_68ff925a22.jpg

Lens Changer 25

3464273621_102904652a.jpg

Lens Changer 25 with rain cover

3465088338_d5416b8f38.jpg

Last edited:
Right profile

3465109432_d341bd60f4.jpg

Left profile

3464295245_14ba0d55d0.jpg

Back profile with tripod back. Gitzo GC1100

3465111480_7e7f17c6ae.jpg

You can go to this link to see more pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiatsphotography/sets/72157617075759629/

In Conclusion:

I no longer need to do the 10min shoulder drill to change side or put my bag down to change lens(back pack). It is quite swift to swing to the front or side to change lens. in my last pic..it did feel like army days...M16 with my SBO(except no helmet). The shoulder strap need to be on to help to balance it out nicely.Because this is like the SBO to me. I feel that once everything is properly tighten and adjusted(before running SOC),it makes a hell lot of different compared to when everything is loosely supported. The prob with most bag i feel is that can't really fit the hood in. for this bag i can quite nicely fit my lens with hood. Of course if i take all my hood out and throw into the lens changer 25,i can fit everthing into the bag. The depth is deep. u can put layers to fit smaller prime lens but reaching out to the deeper lens might be more troublesome though.

I do find even when i shoulder sling without the beltpack clipped,it is more comfy than my crumpler 7million also.I forgot to try and attach my body to 70-200 to see if i can close the bag....the 7million confirmed cannot close without you loosening the clips to extend it.
Special thanks to TK. They allowed me to slowly arrange my things to do the configuration I want to try on their display set before opening up the actual set i'm buying.

Nice review, your equipment sure weight quite a bit.
How is the bag weighing on your shoulders?

Truth...minimum....compared to my 7million and flipside 400 aw...

mostly on hip. you can feel abit of resistance when you walk. but i think is because i strap too low.

I used to get so sore from 7mdh, this bag has saved my back and shoulder from further pain/injuries :) I love it

agree.i still use it.can't sell cause wife buy one.but i use it when i don't bring extra lens and travel light.though i must agree i hate e shoulder strap of crumpler.

I was actually tempted to assemble a belt sys with e various modular.but costs went up so i rather go for this racer.but is real big. I wonder how many in cs uses this.

well done...
its look big even on u (u dun look like a small guy)...

Hi All

My recent experience with a similar system.

Got a TT Speed Demon last Saturday after various flings with backpacks, sling bags, modified carriers etc... Didnt want the extra height from the Speed Racers/Freaks. So got an extra LC75 to fit in my 80-200.

Went walkabout on Sunday at Little India and the beltpack proved its worth! No sweat on my back from a backpack and no sore shoulders! Lens change was quick and easy, I just dump the old lens in the pouch and grab the new one without having to put the gear or pack down!

So performance-wise, its great! Definitely, delivers on what it was designed to do. I dont think I have to say anything on the quality of the material and workmanship. Both have been reviewed and raved about.

BUT..... (and its a small one, honestly)

Upon unpacking my gear, I discovered a slight fraying of the belt strap near the buckle. The strap seemed to have been in contact with some hot metal/surface, probably the same tool used to heat seal the edges of the strap. This caused the strap to become stiff and frayed, resulting in the belt becoming thinner.

So I took the pack back to TK Photo on Monday and kudos to the gentleman, Philips (hope I got the name right), who exchanged my pack on the spot with minimum fuss. And now, Im a happy camper again.. hehehe

Hi All

My recent experience with a similar system.

Got a TT Speed Demon last Saturday after various flings with backpacks, sling bags, modified carriers etc... Didnt want the extra height from the Speed Racers/Freaks. So got an extra LC75 to fit in my 80-200.

Went walkabout on Sunday at Little India and the beltpack proved its worth! No sweat on my back from a backpack and no sore shoulders! Lens change was quick and easy, I just dump the old lens in the pouch and grab the new one without having to put the gear or pack down!

So performance-wise, its great! Definitely, delivers on what it was designed to do. I dont think I have to say anything on the quality of the material and workmanship. Both have been reviewed and raved about.

BUT..... (and its a small one, honestly)

Upon unpacking my gear, I discovered a slight fraying of the belt strap near the buckle. The strap seemed to have been in contact with some hot metal/surface, probably the same tool used to heat seal the edges of the strap. This caused the strap to become stiff and frayed, resulting in the belt becoming thinner.

So I took the pack back to TK Photo on Monday and kudos to the gentleman, Philips (hope I got the name right), who exchanged my pack on the spot with minimum fuss. And now, Im a happy camper again.. hehehe

i did heard that warranty is life time as long u use it right?

I wish i can use the smaller one..but really can't zip up my camera with grip...not even the freak..so end up with a racer

Yup, supposedly lifetime warranty to original owner. But looking at their materials... I really dont think its gonna give way in MY lifetime.. hahaha

Mostly, I use the grip when Im shooting events or portraits, where my Crumpler 7mil is used. For streets or nature treks I go gripless so its alright. However, tinkering around with the velcro dividers, I was able to store the camera horizontally with grip on and zip up with minimum stress on the pack. Trade-off is no place to store the speedlight, though.

Bro, can I suggest you post your review in this thread. Might wana use the template that the other people have used also, then include pictures at the end.

Thanks iMac08 for sharing with us your review.

Thread title edited to add the word "review", and thread moved to equipment section.

I agree with your review. I have one and totally loved. it. The good thing about it for me is if I go backpacking I can pack the Racer into my big backpack and gives it double protection. Truly excellent in my opinion.

Hi iMac08,

I am thinking of getting one for myself. The size certainly looks big. I have the same setup as yours but apart from Speed Racer, i am also looking at Speed Freak in the mean while.

My concern for Speed Freak is i may not be able to fit my camera with grip and RRS L plate. I could not be possibly to bring all my gears down to TK to test as i am not sure whether i will get it. :dunno:

Hi iMac08,

I am thinking of getting one for myself. The size certainly looks big. I have the same setup as yours but apart from Speed Racer, i am also looking at Speed Freak in the mean while.

My concern for Speed Freak is i may not be able to fit my camera with grip and RRS L plate. I could not be possibly to bring all my gears down to TK to test as i am not sure whether i will get it. :dunno:

There is the Wired Up series coming up and there are two new beltpacks. If you are not in a hurry to get a beltpack, perhaps you can wait for the new series to be available.

There is the Wired Up series coming up and there are two new beltpacks. If you are not in a hurry to get a beltpack, perhaps you can wait for the new series to be available.

Hi Randius,

I concur. The Wired up series certainly takes my sight. But i am wondering when will it be released and probably substantial damage too. :dunno: Anyway, ThinkTank products don't come cheap.

Hi Randius,

I concur. The Wired up series certainly takes my sight. But i am wondering when will it be released and probably substantial damage too. :dunno: Anyway, ThinkTank products don't come cheap.

Well, you get what you pay for ;)

I believe the Wired Up 10 will cost the same as Change Up at $179 and the Wired Up 20 may be at $219. I had called TK but they seemed to be uncertain on when the new series will be available.

i don't know abt wire up. but i can tell u speed freak sure won't fit.i brought all my stuffs down. and for your infor to fit all...i attach at punch(LC25).

if you fit all it wil be quite bulky still. i recently got a streetwalker HD. and i have an idea. buy some more lens pouches. put all inside. when reach shooting site..take out the pouch and fit to the belt. like that u get more comfort and still easy to change lens.

speedracer if without a 70-200 can fit most stuff comfortably..but to put all...it will feel a little heavy but better than shoulder bag anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.