review the Q

Thanks.

I was waiting for this one.
It was not out yesterday night when I last checked.

Thanks for the heads-up! I've been waiting for this particular review since last week.:)

Seems like he likes it enough to give it a thumbs up. (He does not seem too enthusiastic about the J1/V1 though)
He also recognizes that its a unique offering with an emphasis on size, pocket-ability, enthusiast level handling and interchangeable lenses over pns.
Quite a fair assessment in the end where he compares it to other cameras of about the same category.

I'd have liked to see more samples from adapted, fisheye and wide lenses though.

Last edited:
add steve as friend on FB, he accepts...his reviews are good from a consumer and end user point of view...

Oh, why did I read this ... it just made me poisoned even more with this Qute camera :-(

There is a small review on Pentax q on today's digital life paper .

steve huff does it again. great review.

Last edited:
yea... don think can hold out much longer...

I really hope to see more adapted lens uses before decide to buy one when the price drops.

Seems like the C mount adapters is out as well on ebay, but so far no convincing photos.

I'd really like to see if a 100/2.8 macro and F*300/4.5 can be useful coupled with Q.

Very tempted too but holding out for a price drop 1st. The compact form factor is calling out to me everyday.

me too tempted!!... contemplating between this and lx5/s95 for a compact walkabout...

not sure abt the LX5 but i've heard different things abt the S95 from close friends who've used it.

one loves it and takes it diving cos there's a very good waterproof casing for it and the image and video quality's very good.

the other hates it and sold it soon after he got it cos it doesn't offer enough manual controls.

i can understand both points of view - a diver wouldn't be fiddling with the camera a lot when he's underwater and wants a straightforward PNS that gives good output. a photographer on land would want more flexibility. for the S95, the inability to select AF points was a deal-breaker for my terran-bound friend.

me too tempted!!... contemplating between this and lx5/s95 for a compact walkabout...

Viable option.
At least next time, you recover a part of the cost with a Q when new bodies come out, since the lenses are usable.
LX5 and other advanced pns, throw away everything.

Same thing with S95. Some folks like it a lot, some found it lacking due to the lack of fast access controls. So I guess it depends on your preference.

Only downside to me is high entry price. If its ~$700 its the perfect "better than pns" replacement.

Im not sure if I should ask this here, but what do u guys think of the Fujifilm x100?

Was checking the Q's review from steve's site and came upon the x100.
Camera with a prime and alot of quirks but Im somehow attracted to it.

Waiting for 2nd-hand (at a reasonable price) or retail prices to fall from its just-launched high. Maybe by Dec?

Oyama: Do check out Fujifilm forum.. I'm sure many users there. Unless you specifically need a Pentax DSLR/Q-cum-Fujifilm X100 user's opinion.

Im not sure if I should ask this here, but what do u guys think of the Fujifilm x100?

Was checking the Q's review from steve's site and came upon the x100.
Camera with a prime and alot of quirks but Im somehow attracted to it.

To me its just a really nice looking camera with good OOC colors.
Too pricey for what it is.
In 1,2 or 3 years, given sensor, AF, physical interface continues to improve, its redundant and everything goes into the bin.
At least with a MILC, I'd keep the lenses and move on to the next body.

Of course, if we look past the fact that most cameras now do have very nice o/p for all purposes of photo taking except shooting low light mating habits of nocturnal animals
(ie. up to ISO1600 good enough and ISO3200 usually decent w/o peeping or in B/W)
The X100 would be nice and last quite a while, as would most other cameras.
But still, say 5-8yrs later, we'd have to throw it away. MILC we keep the lenses.

If its a bit higher than advanced pns price (Eg. $699 to $900+), I'd think its reasonable.

On Steve's site, the GXR review attracted me a lot. The colors certainly blew the older NEX away.

Last edited:
Yup, checked there and other forums. Thanks le petit prince.
Cause its a camera with a prime, not interchangeable.
Was wondering if it can replace my k5+fa31 setup when I dont feel like lugging around a dslr.

Edit.
Thx pinholecam for the comments.
I dont expect cameras to last forever, unless maybe Leica lol.
Im actually lookin at a 2nd smaller body, thinkin of nex7, x100 (fuss free, not a new system but cant keep lenses for next body), or maybe others if theres any.
I will check the GXR out. Interesting.

Last edited: