Review: Panasonic GF2

Just howling funny and screaming ROFLMAO ..... the 'group dies' and 'Please be calm .......and bend over' parts :bsmilie:

zzzz_fire_safety.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the review and enjoy your trip.
btw, are those wires that the guy is connecting?

Last edited:
early morning around the neighborhood where our hotel was is an interesting place.....

zzzzz_tricycler.jpg

zzzzz_fish_seller.jpg

We had lunch/Dimsum at Nan Yuan....

During lunch
zzzzz_dimsum_before.jpg

After the slaughter to keep ourselves well fed...
zzzzz_dimsum_after.jpg

Yam Cha as it should be done.......... at a slow and relaxed pace with a morning newspaper and tea with Dim Sum...
zzzzz_read_newspaper_dimsum.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm....what are your thoughts on operational speed(in terms of access functions) and of image quality after using it for a couple of days?

ISO performance improvement is nice! but colors of the images doesn't seem to jump out as nice/natural. Hopefully its my lousy work laptop that is causing this impression :)

I'm on vacation and shooting in a relaxed way so in this situation the speed of the cam is good enough plenty for me..... as in any LCD-only camera with/without a EVF this genre of cameras will not start-up as quickly as a dslr...... touchscreen response is almost instantaneous

HOWEVER, most functions need a minimum of navigation to get to the setting..... that is the price for not having more dedicated external buttons..... speed in getting through to the functions apart from what i have described above is slower BECAUSE of the need to navigate

This camera is a great little outfit for slower shooters who are not in a rush

ha ha the iA button is VERY FAST for getting to the 'Auto Everything' mode immediately

the net connection here is quite slow ..... so arrived at last at Yangshuo yesterday .... spent the day relaxing and walking around West St (Xi Jie) eating and window shopping

I have decided to come back here again ....... for photography and no family.... ha ha ha

After Guangzhou and shenzhen the last few days, this was a very nice break ....... great clean air

The camera is still working very well in 6C temp environment with no visible battery drain than normal

Our hotel rooms and its simply majestic the way the karsts are lit up at night all over the surrounding areas ringing the town
We had pizza , sandwiches topped off with a great cappucino for dinner..... too much good chinese food was getting us a little jaded ha ha

ys_hotel_room.jpg

Inside the Match Company sell all sorts of Communist China memobrillia..... just so many fascinating places like this in town
ys_match_company.jpg

ys_badges2.jpg

ys_badges3.jpg

ys_badges1.jpg

Last edited:
Oops..... I dropped the camera today onto a wooden floor during lunch. Its still working fine with everything still in place

I'm using the camera without a strap attached to keep the pouch uncluttered

Now this is the first time I have dropped a camera in more than 20 years.... its my fault but would like to point out that I was desperately trying to avoid touching the touchscreen LCD to avoid accidentally resetting some things (like the Quick Menu or the Screen Shutter activation icons). My fingers went for the thumb area without touching off the OTHER buttons on the back of the cam...... it slipped and the camera flew out of my hands

I'm happy to report that the camera is well built and robust ...... still working flawlessly

zzzzzz_mao_slogan.jpg

zzzzzz_old_lady.jpg

zzzzzz_old_lady2.jpg

Last edited:
As much as we are enjoying our vacation so far, it saddens us to see situations like this.... a sight too common when we look a little under the surface of society.
zzzzzz_vagrant.jpg

OK one thing about this GF2 battery..... it drains gradually without a sudden plunge from halfway mark to zero ..... I was using the camera on a full charge on Wed in Guilin while the weather was around 2-5 degrees C all day ..... exposed about 250+ images or a little more + a few video clips .... it showed 1/2 full by 2pm which got me worried because we had a few good hours of sightseeing left ..... and this was with the LCD always turned on while operating + many many on the spot reviews of images

Glad to say that the battery eventually died on me at 7pm dinner time

carrying around 1 extra spare battery will be a good idea ......(i am relying on only ONE battery for this trip)

hi Vizuel.... will look around but i doubt I have any 'bokeh' shots only because I was using the 7-14 uwa zoom, the fisheye and the 20mm..... but will have a look to see what i have....

OK all, apologies for being out of sight for a few days.......... we just got home last night after 11 days......... the exhaustion caught up with me last few days and I was just going straight to bed asap every night after getting back to the hotel and a good hot shower....

Will upload more images this evening and over the next few days...

----------------------------

This camera review has to stay true to its members..... so far everything works beautifully ....... EXCEPT....... read below.....

After 11 days..... I have one serious suggestion for Panasonic...... I set the camera to Sleep Mode after a minute of idle time... touching the LCD screen or shutter button 'wakes' the camera up from 'Sleep' Mode to get it ready to shoot again.

Powering up/down the camera via its On/Off switch takes time.... and can never be as quick as a Sleep Mode On/Off activation especially when powering On the camera

PLEASE .... please RESTRICT the activation to ONLY a half-press of the shutter button ...... because whenever I or anyone reaches into the camera bag for the camera .... NOT ONLY will a casual touch of the LCD screen activate the camera..... the casual touch will almost always activate and/or reset some function on the LCD touchscreen....

Its natural for ANYONE to grab a camera from their camera bag with 4 to 5 fingers ....

a. I was accidentally shooting in another metering mode thinking it was Spot
b. Screen Shutter was activated accidentally
c. I accidentally moved from Aperture Pirority mode to P mode
d. CONSTANTLY I was re-locating the AF focus box accidentally
e. I was accidentally shooting in JPEG only when I was supposed to be in JPEG + RAW (fingers must have accidentally done a tap dance on the LCD screen)
f. Whenever I hang the camera strap around my neck...... the camera of course will rub against my body/clothings...... yessssss..... the touchscreen LCD gets triggered and activated when this happens.....
g. etc etc etc........ u get the idea

The first couple days it was no big deal...... after a few more days.... it was not funny anymore....

I was just missing too many moments and situations because i was often busy re-adjusting this and re-adjusting that after pulling the camera out of the bag...

After a few days I completely BANNED ANYONE (friends and even my own wife and 10-yr old daughter) from touching the camera... they were JUST accidentally resetting functions on the camera ANYTIME they touched it ..... this makes the camera socially unfriendly...... nowadays digital cameras are NOT only for taking pictures.... the pictures are shared with other people ON the SPOT and cameras nowadays are passed around the office/ dinner table/tour bus/plane/ taxi to share for viewing

.......a firmware upgrade to fix this innovation OVER-Kill is entirely possible.... or at least an option to allow customers to choose to want or not want it.... I mean.... even a Nintendo DS Lite or a PSP has more finger/hand-hold space .... the GF2 is a 'fat finger' booby trap ..... so Panasonic, please consider this in your firmware before the camera is released to the public.

Otherwise its a WONDERFUL camera to shoot with... :)

Last edited:
hi ed,

thanks for your reply! Guess I know my decision already. Need to get a cam for holidays as I'm sick of carry my DSLR/lens/battery/grip/flashes/charger.... its a good 7KG.

I've received a couple of PMs from guys asking...

"if you're unhappy with the sleep mode + touchscreen-to-unsleep issue, then how come you dont talk about it in the G2 review ?"

Answer is simple............ the Panasonic G2 has a flip out articulating LCD screen which keeps the touchscreen LCD out of the way when folded back 'face-in'

Last edited:
shot with 7-14 uwa zoom .... gives you an idea how the GF2 renders colors under different conditions

wares.jpg

tibetan_wares.jpg

earrings1.jpg

picking_beads.jpg

Last edited:
these 3 images below shot with 20/1.7 or the 7-14 uwa

walker1.jpg

thorns.jpg

night_shot1.jpg

Last edited:
hey guys...... ha ha good to see the interest .....BUT please STOP sending me PMs asking for EXIF info on some of these images ..... there are EXIF peeping software out there available

ALL EXIF info are left intact embedded in the image files...

thank you ....

p/s and NO please do not ask me to email you the full-sized files .......... they're about 4-6mb each (in JPEG not even talking about RAW) ..... I have a life too ha ha .... thanks for understanding

pp/s (shake my head).... :) and to the clown who asked .............the phone numbers in the image above are off the toilet wall in Shenzhen ..... call at your own risk...

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

...... yet to see a shot on "bokeh." Don't mind can post some pics of that? ;p

Didnt find any real bokeh'ed images (I usually go for details and everything-in-focus type images) but here's one...

with a 20/1.7 at f5 1/20sec
aa_frontwheel_20520.jpg

Last edited: