Review of X-Drive Pro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picard

May 27, 2004
Clementi, Singapore
...from a prosumer / tourist point of view.

Just thought I'd share...

I got an X-drive Pro with 40 gb before my recent trip mainly because I got sick of buying CF cards with prices dropping like flies.

So...I was armed with one 256 card and two 128 cards on my 5 nights trip together with my X-drive pro and had a great time.

The X-drive was carefully cradled in my camera bag from home to hotel and vice-versa. Once reaching the hotel it sat in the hotel's safe. During the day when I was out my cards served me well and stored all my JPEG FINE (Large) pictures - average 3mb each picture.

At night when I returned, I would plug my D70 into the hotel's TV, view the pics with my wife and delete those OBVIOUSLY bad prints (note: if in doubt, don't delete) and then chuck the CF card into the X-Drive, press copy, went to brush me teeth and when I come out one fully loaded 256 card is done copying, the rest of the 128s were a breeze after that. THat was our nightly ritual and no complaints at all. When I reached home all the files were intact and I'm a happy DSLR user. :lovegrin:

Of course this is from a tourist/prosumer point of view. I'm saying this because the X-drive's speed of transfer is not as fast as those higher end versions and they don't offer a nice glossy LCD panel for seeing your pics but hey...it still works...all for around S$300 from Eastgear.

There's beauty (and value) in simple technology. :thumbsup:

Cheers

that's interesting, just wondering, isn't it a bit risky if you dump all your images into the x-drive at the end of every day? what if the X-drv developed probs? (note: What IF, not belittling the X-drv) won't your entire trip's pics be gone?

how does one verify that the files are copied/transferred successfully without the LCD screen?

hoppinghippo said:
that's interesting, just wondering, isn't it a bit risky if you dump all your images into the x-drive at the end of every day? what if the X-drv developed probs? (note: What IF, not belittling the X-drv) won't your entire trip's pics be gone?

just keep ur finger cross, if u don't wanna risk it .. buy a CD burner ... burn aLL image to a CD( or CDs) then COURIER back with insurans :bsmilie: ...
else use a film camera .......... :thumbsup:

reachme2003 : there's a LED light INDICATOR... :bsmilie:

hoppinghippo said:

2 X-drives for redundancy? :bsmilie:

Actually $300 can buy a lot of CF cards nowadays.
1GB CF can keep about 300 photos in Jpeg size and IMO thats enought for a holiday.

Well...I myself using X-Drive Pro for about 2 years during my travelling to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, Bali and China. It served me well. I have no complain with it as I have only 3 pcs. of 128MB CF card and one pc. of 256MB CF card and I am taking 6MP and 5MP photo with one DSLR and one prosumer camera.
With this limit of card memory, I am able to bring back 5GB to 7GB of photo back which contain around ~3000 or more photo for travelling around 2 weeks. At the same time, at the end of the day tour during the visiting. I copied my friend's photo into the X-drive Pro too. So far I don't have any problem like losing my photo image or anything like that. :)

Astin said:
Actually $300 can buy a lot of CF cards nowadays.
1GB CF can keep about 300 photos in Jpeg size and IMO thats enought for a holiday.

PSD also can work as a E-Album.... 1GB not enough for Jpeg and Mov...

Status
Not open for further replies.