Review of the New 70-200mm f2.8G ED VRII

Status
Not open for further replies.

enchantingmomentz

Sep 15, 2008
check out this review of the new zoom...

pretty sharp shots hand-held at 1/10th to 1/4th sec is possible! :bigeyes:

and no vignetting wide-open at f2.8 :)

interested? follow the LINK

anyone interested to buy over my old 70-200? haha! please PM me for more details..

Been waiting for this one to come :lovegrin:...but I think the price will be :bigeyes:

Very interesting ... hoping for more FX capable lens. Dunno what happened to the 16-35VR.

so damn razor sharp! ;p

I wish I could afford this lens. So damn good.:cool:

Looks good in the review!

SGD roughly how much uh?:bsmilie:
Roughly when will reach sg uh?:bsmilie:

Dam excited man!

If Im not wrong with GST between $3700 to $3800. Heard that it will be in by 1st week of Nov. Save for it :bsmilie::thumbsup:

at that price, i am going to stick to my old 70-200.

damn. and i thought i might have found something to buy.....

so damn razor sharp! ;p

How, exactly, do you tell that the lens is so damn razor sharp from those pics? The only one that might tell you anything is the 100% crop and in all honesty, that doesn't look particularly sharp from the middle of the frame.

The original 70-200 is plenty sharp in the middle of the frame too.

I'm not saying the new 70-200 isn't better. It had better be given how poor the current one is. But the guy also praises the current 70-200's ergonomics, and frankly, the ergonomics are poor. Or, pretty ok with one major problem.

I can understand in the days of film why people get impressed with high magnification crops, but these days everyone has a high resolution DSLR and should be getting this kind of results from most lenses in terms of sharpness in the centre. If you're not, then the technique is the problem.

Not to mention most of the shots are circa 600 pixels wide for which you could get sharp shots out of the bottom of a coke bottle. (I am exaggerating slightly, but...)

How, exactly, do you tell that the lens is so damn razor sharp from those pics? The only one that might tell you anything is the 100% crop and in all honesty, that doesn't look particularly sharp from the middle of the frame.

The original 70-200 is plenty sharp in the middle of the frame too.

I'm not saying the new 70-200 isn't better. It had better be given how poor the current one is. But the guy also praises the current 70-200's ergonomics, and frankly, the ergonomics are poor. Or, pretty ok with one major problem.

I can understand in the days of film why people get impressed with high magnification crops, but these days everyone has a high resolution DSLR and should be getting this kind of results from most lenses in terms of sharpness in the centre. If you're not, then the technique is the problem.

Not to mention most of the shots are circa 600 pixels wide for which you could get sharp shots out of the bottom of a coke bottle. (I am exaggerating slightly, but...)

Simple, center and the corners are sharp compare to the old 70-200 2.8.
Which FF users complains the corners are soft in the wide end. No doubt about the old 70-200 was crisp in the center. Handheld @ 1/10 1/4 is pretty sharp, VRII really kicks in here.. performance and IQ over the ergo thing :bsmilie:

Simple, center and the corners are sharp compare to the old 70-200 2.8.

My point is, I'm not sure how you figure the corners are sharp from the images on that page.

It's just now loaded some night scene images that weren't there for me before (was only the wedding ones before). But again that's a central crop. He's not provided a corner crop anywhere so you really can't tell how sharp (or not) the lens is from the displayed images.

My point is, I'm not sure how you figure the corners are sharp from the images on that page.

Sorry man im not just pertaining with the photos in the review.
some articles i read about this lens was enough to convince me.
It was better than the previos 70-200 except for the selling price.

It's just now loaded some night scene images that weren't there for me before (was only the wedding ones before). But again that's a central crop. He's not provided a corner crop anywhere so you really can't tell how sharp (or not) the lens is from the displayed images.

Do you mean those test shots were not sharp enough? :confused: :confused:

at that price, i am going to stick to my old 70-200.

damn. and i thought i might have found something to buy.....

Hey guys.. this is a review in youtube.
Some of you might have seen it but nonetheless just sharing it here.

In the video, the guy mentioned if you dont have the 70-200mm lens then its good for you to buy the new one but if you have the old 70-200mm lens then just keep it..

I have the old 70-200 and im not gonna change or sell it and replace it with the new one.
Might as well I save up for another lens..
Just my opinion.

Cheers!

Do you mean those test shots were not sharp enough? :confused: :confused:

No those test shots were fine at 800 pixels across. But you can't tell from images that are 800 pixels across. The only two 100% crops that I've seen are taken from the centre of the frame so there's no way you can conclude the corners are great.

Take a look at these two pics. The full version looks sharpish enough. The crop shows you it's nowhere near.

rvfull.jpg

rvcrop.jpg

No those test shots were fine at 800 pixels across. But you can't tell from images that are 800 pixels across. The only two 100% crops that I've seen are taken from the centre of the frame so there's no way you can conclude the corners are great.

Take a look at these two pics. The full version looks sharpish enough. The crop shows you it's nowhere near.

rvfull.jpg

rvcrop.jpg

im sori..

this pic was taken using the new or the old lens?

im sori..

this pic was taken using the new or the old lens?

you missed the point completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.