Review of Sony Alpha NEX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an awesome hands-on review for NEX. Originally wanted to get a FF 5DMII but decided to wait for the '5DMIII' (if that ever gets out) So now considering between NEX 5 or the M4/3 cameras... seems like the NEX really tops the choice for everyday photography..

Now just wondering if my converted M-mount Canon f0.95 lens can fit that tiny body with the M-mount adapter... hope the handling wont be weird and I can still use the lens.

the panoramic shot mode is a very nice function and fast to use...... it auto stitches the whole series of series taken
I love this function........ with a left-to-right sweep of a scene you want captured, you get a default Ultra Wide Angle perspective....... I estimate a 120degree or more sweep if you sweep it quick enough
x_pano3.jpg

x_pano2.jpg

x_pano1.jpg

Image 23 got a guy's face got cut off le... ;) but it's a nice little almighty however

Hello!
I'm looking to get a Nex5 soon. Can I ask any NEX owner if the Silver color camera is prone to scratches and tarnish easily?

I saw a display set in Sony store and the grip already was kind of worn off. So I'm curious about the durability.

Thanks!

I was looking for a compact 4/3-camera. I think the Nex 5 would fit my needs, but on youtube, I came accross some movies with a terrible sound quality, recorded from concerts. Besides the sound quality, the Nex would be perfect for me. I really like the size, the moveable lcd and the panoramic shots :(

I was looking for a compact 4/3-camera. I think the Nex 5 would fit my needs, but on youtube, I came accross some movies with a terrible sound quality, recorded from concerts. Besides the sound quality, the Nex would be perfect for me. I really like the size, the moveable lcd and the panoramic shots :(

Concerts with their super-loud sound cause issues for the built-in microphones in basically ANY camera. I suggest finding more "real life" movie examples. You'll find the silent AF lenses of the NEX are perfect for video.

FYI, the NEX is NOT a 4/3 or m4/3 camera.

can the lens (both kit lens that comes with the camera) be used for macro shooting?

can the lens (both kit lens that comes with the camera) be used for macro shooting?

you can shoot insects with them, but if you really want the real macro effect.. you need macro lenses.

you can always use the mount adapter to mount A-mount Macro lenses to do macro photography...

If I remember correctly the filter thread is 49mm for the 18-55mm Kit Lens.

You'll need the following to shoot macro:

1. Step-up ring 49mm to 55mm ---- $8

2. Raynox Macro Lens ------$120

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00009-5.jpg

You can't use the 18mm because there'll be serious vignetting.

Last edited:
A cheap alternative is to use a +4 or +10 HOYA Close-up Lens for both your kit lenses. It'll cost you $25 and $86 respectively.

DSC08046.jpg

DSC08054.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone knows where I can get a Square holder with nd grad filter for the kit lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.