• 2.9 MP (S)
File qualities / formats • RAW
• RAW + JPEG Fine
• JPEG Fine
• JPEG Standard Movie • AVCHD: 1920 x 1080i @ 17Mbps
• MP4: 1440 x 1080i @12Mbps Dust reduction • Coating on low pass filter
• Sensor-shift Lenses • Sony E-mount
• Sony Alpha lenses, Minolta and Konica Minolta AF lenses via adaptor
(MF only, exclude power zoom lenses/tele-converters) Image Stabilization • 'Optical SteadyShot' system on selected lenses Auto Focus • Contrast AF
• 25 multi-point
• Centre-weighted
• Flexible Spot Shooting modes • Intelligent Auto
• Program
• Aperture priority
• Shutter priority
• Manual
• Sweep Panorama
• Anti-Motion Blur
• Scene modes (below) Scene modes • Portrait
• Landscape
• Macro
• Sports Action
• Sunset
• Night view/portrait
• Hand-Held Night Shot Sensitivity • Auto (Range varies depending on shooting mode)
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
• ISO 800
• ISO 1600
• ISO 3200
• ISO 6400
• ISO 12800 Metering modes • Multi-segment (49 segment Honeycomb pattern)
• Center-weighted
• Spot Exposure compen. • -2.0 to +2.0 EV
• 0.3 EV steps Shutter Speed • Electronically controlled, vertical traverse, focal-plane type
• 30 to 1/4000 sec
• Bulb Aperture values Depends on lens, 0.3 EV steps White balance • Auto
• Daylight
• Shade
• Cloudy
• Tungsten
• Fluorescent
• Flash
• Color temperature/filter (2500 - 9900 K)
• Manual (Custom)
• Manual (Custom set) Dynamic range optimizer • Off
• DRAuto
• HDR Auto Color space • sRGB
• Adobe RGB Color modes • Standard
• Vivid
• Portrait
• Landscape
• Sunset
• B&W LCD monitor • 3.0 XtraFine TruBlack LCD
• 920,000 pixels
• Angle adjustable 80 degrees up/45 degrees down Flash • External flash (supplied), attachable to Smart Accessory Terminal
• GN : 7 meters
• Flash Sync: 1/160sec Flash modes • Auto
• On
• Off
• Fill-flash
• Slow Sync
• Rear Sync.
• Red-eye reduction on/off selectable for Autoflash and fill-flash mode Drive modes • Single-frame
• Continuous
• Speed Priority
• 10 sec 3 images
• Bracket Cont 0.3 EV
• Remote CDR Continuous
shooting • Approx: 2.3 fps
• Speed-priority mode: max 7 fps
• Varies according to shooting conditions and memory card used Self-timer • 10 sec
• 10 Sec, 3 images Connectivity • HDMI out (with PhotoTV HD and BRAVIA Sync)
• USB 2.0 Hi-Speed
• Video out (NTSC or PAL) Storage • Memory Stick Pro Duo
• Pro-HG Duo
• SD/SDHC/SDXC Power • NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery
• Battery charger included
• Optional AC adapter Battery Life (Cipa) 330 shots approx. Dimensions 111x 59 x 38mm Weight (body) With battery and memory card: Approx. 287g (10.1 oz)
Supplied accessories Shoulder strap; Battery; Charger; USB cable (miniB); CD‑ROM; Flash

Last edited:
This look interesting... :D

Cant decide which color looks better . Silver or black . I m just concerned that the chrome version will get alot of scratches !

i think this will be a good pairing with the 16mm pancake lens.

that aside, "magnesium alloy sensor" had me wondering what was going on for a while....

I think he meant this :

Body material Magnesium Alloy • Sensor 23.4 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor

Probably error with the punctuation divider. :)
Anyway, i am waiting for the Nex3+16mm lens package. Hope it is less than s$750 street price. ;p I do think that 21mm (same as the Pentax Limited DA21mm) would be more versatile as a "universal" prime lens. 16mm appears a little too wide from an APS-C sized sensor for general use. :)

BTW, it seems incredible (if you can believe the online prices) that the 16mm wide and f/2.8 fast lens package would cost less than the 18-55mm non-f/2.8 zoom lens package but I am not complaining. :sweat:

Last edited:
thought it should be this:

Body material • Magnesium Alloy
Sensor • 23.4 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor

:)

those look like retail packages; should be in stores very soon :)

so tempted to buy =(

thought it should be this:

Body material • Magnesium Alloy
Sensor • 23.4 x 15.6 mm Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor

:)

Looks like your version is the right one. It has been corrected!
In anycase, magnesium alloy does not do anything for me. I just want it cheap and good, so the plastic one will do. But I guess the magnesium allow can be thinner yet stronger which is why they can squeeze it into a smaller chassis. :)

price??

As far as i knw, there are currently 50 sets in the world available for loan to shooters,currently six set in singapore, 2 with Clubsnap the other 4.....hehehe ;)

A very credible industry insider friend had commented this nex5 will literally fly off the shelves once it released.

great.....CS really should post more reviews! :)

I picked up one of the NEX-5 test sets from Simon this evening a couple of hours ago around 10.30pm

It came with

1. a bundled 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens
2. a very cute little flash with its own protective casing
3. USB wire
4. shoulder strap
5. flower petal shaped lens hood
6. lenscap
7. charger

There was NO CD driver... NO user guide/manual... Sony is brutal to beta testers ha ha .... guess they want to see how easy or intuitive the camera is without a tester needing to refer too much to a user guide

BUT FEAR NOT.... the items listed on box cover says it comes with a CD-ROM driver .... so these were deliberately not included for tester (Sony, you are so EVIL :) ha ha) I am pushing 50 years old soon and am not a techie or someone comfortable with electronics..... you sure picked a tech-moron

OK I'll take up the challenge and NOT google for a user guide........ lets just see how intuitive this camera's User Interface is over the next couple of days.... if I am totally lost , Sony, you will hear about it.... if I survive and can navigate my way around the camera....good.

Its currently charging so in-camera images and serious camera navigation will follow over the next couple of days

For now I'll post the out-of-the-box images together with first impressions ......... NOW MOST of the stuff on specs and marketing-purpose images have been showing around the web so you should have an idea on specs and its general look-like-what

Most of the marketing images have not given much of a scale of reference on its size except in the spec sheet ......... here is an easier way to get a hands-on feel for its size with an SD card, my bunch of keys and a credit card sized EZ link card for comparison

xsize5.jpg

Flash unit is detachable and its just a little larger than a regular SD card
xsize6.jpg

xsize4.jpg

xsize3.jpg

Last edited:
xsize2.jpg

xsize1.jpg

Without the flash mounted, the top of the cam looks like this
xtop1.jpg

Bottom of camera .... a little hump to keep the tripod mount out of the way........ not in pic but I had attached it to a plate and fitted it onto a tripod.... it sits sure and steady without any up/down side play
xnotforsale.jpg

Last edited:
omg.... buy this my a500 how sia?

At the bottom of the flash unit..... you open the hatch at top of camera and shaft it in .... and secure the flash to camera by tightening the screw
xflashscrew.jpg

WHERE is this screw and HOW does this little screw look like? Flip open the little cover top-behind the flash and ta-dah .... the knurled knob is easily turned with my thumb in a clockwise direction to tighten it snugly down

The flip cover on the flash unit can be flipped shut after you are done tightening

The flash draws power from the camera's battery..... I have NO idea of the Guide number (remember i have promised not to peep elsewhere online to get any help)
xflashback2.jpg

This is how the flash+ camera set up looks like ..... very seamless streamlined feel to it
10-A
xflashback1.jpg

This is the hatch that houses the flash unit's socket
xtop1.jpg

I will leave the flash attached to the camera during this test period.... Oh it tilts up too up to about 45-50degree position
xflash1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.