Review: Fujifilm X100

Thanks for the well presented review.
Too bad about the lack of a lens choice.
If not I'd get this camera in a wink.

Thanks for the well presented review.
Too bad about the lack of a lens choice.
If not I'd get this camera in a wink.

ha ha no worries, I am not the salesman

The repeated theme in this camera is that it forces the photographer to think ..... and strangely or understandably appeals to certain group of people :

1. NO ZOOM - this is a single fixed focal length lens camera
2. NO fps - this camera shoots ONE picture at a time
3. NO Art Filters or Hello Kitty features that turns out cute pictures at a touch of the button
4. NO Space Age Multi Matrix Metering
5. NO Multi Face detection
6. NO Smile Detection
7. LOVES the superbly FLAT PANCAKE low profile of the lens (which makes it very pocketable)

Last edited:
7. LOVES the superbly FLAT PANCAKE low profile of the lens (which makes it very pocketable)

Trench coat pocket izzit? LOL

Back to topic, are you able to tweak the auto white balance? If so add a touch of magenta and amber/yellow. I saw a comparison between this and the Leica X1 (http://www.fluidr.com/photos/robzo1) and the Fuji seems to overexpose a bit when compare to the Leica (of course one could say that the Leica underexposes a bit). You might be able to match the Leica colours.

No lah it was sitting in my pants pocket when not shooting last few days ... I don't wear skin tight pants .... Just normal office pants

Will be at Far East plaza all day tomorrow helping out at the CS Japan Photoaid event tomorrow .... Drop by if u want to play with it ya ? Bring ur own SD card pls.

Ha ha ok again, I am not a Fuji salesman ... I report both what I feel is good n not so good

Tweaking WB is possible by +9 to -9 between Red and Cy in one bar ... and +9 to -9 between Blue and Yellow in another bar ......That is customizing so won't go further into that and will just stick to AWB

Last edited:
The problem I had executing this image :
1. Spot metered the red hydrant and AE Lock took almost half a sec to Lock
2. Tried to lock focus on subject's darker side (left ear) but the X100 had serious issues locking focus.... thus no choice but to focus on a more contrasty area (his spectacles)
xfirehose.jpg

No lah it was sitting in my pants pocket when not shooting last few days ... I don't wear skin tight pants .... Just normal office pants

Will be at Far East plaza all day tomorrow helping out at the CS Japan Photoaid event tomorrow .... Drop by if u want to play with it ya ? Bring ur own SD card pls.

Ha ha ok again, I am not a Fuji salesman ... I report both what I feel is good n not so good

Tweaking WB is possible by +9 to -9 between Red and Cy in one bar ... and +9 to -9 between Blue and Yellow in another bar ......That is customizing so won't go further into that and will just stick to AWB

X100 looks to be the right size for my new shooting project.... haha... oh well... hope they come out with a black X100... haha... :)
wish i could go help out tomorrow too... but i am too busy with new house... maybe try to drop by early to help out a bit...

i will be there from 9am Banana, so feel free to drop by .... there will be many CS'ers

OK more images

Outside my office window
xoutwindow.jpg

100% crop of above
xoutwindowcrop.jpg

xraffes.jpg

100% crop of above
xraffescrop.jpg

that looks slightly mushy to me.. I was hoping this would be as good at the leica X1. But this is pretty much on par with the current DSLR lenses that are in the price range.

What was the aperture you were shooting at?

Orange colored multi storey carpark f8

'Human X'mas Tree' f4

Subject next to red fire hydrant f5.6

help me here...... please describe 'murky' .....

This evening at Serangoon Garden ...... IF I have no business in Serangoon Garden, from the traffic experience this evening ...... I am avoiding the area around the traffic circle on Saturday evenings ...... just crawling... and c-r-a-w-l-i-n-g-g-g-g.....

ISO400
1/50 sec
f4
xpowseng.jpg

100% crop
xpowsengcrop.jpg

Last edited:
I like the fire hose shot. Pity about the shadow casting on the guy's body. Take more shot tonight before returning it tomorrow.

would appreciate if other X100 owners contribute feedback

I dont know if I have an early prototype copy or what but the X100

1. charger unit is too loose for the battery to charge properly ..... i had to jam a piece of paper between battery and charger to get a firm charging connection

2. issues locking focus in low/less contrasty situation ......

Last 2 pics to share until we get hold of another copy of the x100 ..... please X100 owners if you are reading this.... give feedback and add on

Anyway, guess who I ran into on Scotts Rd on Sat morning .....
xxleicam9.jpg

Crop of above
All decked out with a Luigi case, soft release and a 50mm Lux' (probably a Thumb Grip attached too looking at the hotshoe ...... funny how cameras draw people together..... we were strangers and just like that ..... started talking about his camera and the X100
Indonesian guy but I forgot to ask for his name...
NOW.... THIS is a rangefinder LOL !!

xxleicam9crop.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ed,
Thank for the review, some queries
- the manual focus operation is by "fly by wire" ? How is the operation compared to the like m4/3 ?
- how big is the EVF ? e.g. compared to m4/3 VF2 ?

- the manual focus operation is by "fly by wire" ? yes, the focus ring can be set to focus in CLOCKWISE or COUNTER-CLOCKWISE directions

- how big is the EVF ? e.g. compared to m4/3 VF2 ? Its HUGE compared to the Oly or Panasonic external EVF.... and its both optical and electronic with lots of room outside the frame where setting info is located ..... however, sadly, its 90% coverage (precise framing/composition is not easy because you dont get to see the other 10% of the image until after the pic is taken

Whats the Retail Price for the X100? The shots in CBD is what ISO? it looks grainy to me....:embrass:

Last edited: