Review - Flash - YongNuo YN460-II

ZerocoolAstra

Mar 13, 2008
rainy Singapore
This is a review of the successor to the YN460, which was reviewed HERE.

I bought it off EBay for significantly <S$100. Was looking for a second flash for the occasional situation where my single SB600 may be insufficient, or I wished to experiment with multiple off-shoe flashes. Being a hobbyist, I didn't want to cough up the $ for another SB600, as I figured I could get by with manual control.

First off, the box packaging:
Yongnuo_01.jpg

Pretty much identical to the YN460. Nothing much to comment. Fairly compact.

unpacking it revealed the flash in a 'velvety' pouch, and the necessary accessories (flash stand + flash cap diffuser).
Yongnuo_02.jpg

a view of the rear control panel of the flash:
Yongnuo_03.jpg

Just my personal opinion: The plastic material used doesn't feel so 'cheap'. As an SB600 user, I found it quite comparable in fact. Certainly was pleasantly surprised considering its price.

Flash is powered on my holding down the 'ON/OFF' button until all 7 of the power LEDs light up in sequence. If you let go of the button before that, the flash will not power on. Similarly, powering off the flash is done by holding down the 'ON/OFF' button until the 7 LEDs go off in sequence (like a count-down).

Haven't quite figured out all the modes yet, but here's what the manual says:

M Mode:
In this mode, you can set flash luminance as per your favourite;
luminance level will be displayed by luminance indicator. When taking photos, you only require setting the flash luminance, adjust the camera and press the shutter, the flash light will flash under camera synchronous signal.

S1 Mode:
When the flash is in S1 mode, it will work with the first work of the master flash synchronously, with the result consistent with the use of radio slave. To use this mode correctly, the master flash should be set at manual flash and the TTL flash system with preflash function and the red-reduction function with multiple flashes should not be used.

ok, in laymen's terms, this is probably like simple optical slave mode. The flash is on the lookout for a bright burst of light, and will trigger itself at whatever power setting has been set manually. If you set the master to red-eye reduction mode, the YN-460II will trigger at the first burst of light, thus you will miss the important final flash which is the one that is captured.

S2 Mode:
S2 mode is similar to S1 mode, but it can support the master flash in TTL mode. In particular, if S1 mode cannot have correct and synchronous flash with the inbuilt flash, you can try to use S2 mode.

I managed to trigger the flash wirelessly with my D90's pop-up flash in TTL commander mode, in both S1 and S2 modes. It's quite sensitive. Even when there wasn't line-of-sight (hiding behind the Yongnuo package box, the D90 was able to trigger the YN-460II.

Last edited:
A side-by-side comparison of the SB600 and the YN460II
Yongnuo_04.jpg

As you can see, they are pretty much the same size.

SB600 flash-head is smooth to swivel around and tilt. The rubberized release button is a good addition, and gives the SB600 a more upmarket feel.
The YN460II, in contrast, has a slightly 'notchy' feel to the swivel head. A bit stiff, in my opinion. It might loosen up after repeated use.

What I like is the 2 notches at the tip of the flash head
Yongnuo_05.jpg

This helps to secure the cap diffuser and prevent it from dropping off. Nicely done, Yongnuo!

What I dislike is the flimsy-looking battery compartment cover. I got a feeling that it's not very sturdy. Easy to misalign, as you can see in this photo
Yongnuo_06.jpg

When I inserted 4 x Sanyo Eneloop batteries, it was tough to close the cover. Was worried about snapping the cover whilst closing it. This is certainly something that can be improved upon.

Last edited:
So far it's just a basic review.
As I'm not familiar with doing a review of a flash, do drop me any requests, and I'll try my best to answer.

more to come soon enough.

S1 is basically the dumb optical trigger mode whereby the 460II will go off when it senses any other camera flashes.
S2 is the smarter mode as it will ignore the TTL pre-flash and only go off only when the main flash fires.

tecnica said:
S1 is basically the dumb optical trigger mode whereby the 460II will go off when it senses any other camera flashes.
S2 is the smarter mode as it will ignore the TTL pre-flash and only go off only when the main flash fires.

I placed the flash out of line-of-sight with the D90's pop-up, and in both modes it was able to trigger. Very sensitive.

Nice effort and a good write up on this review.

Maybe you can try to shoot off camera with both flash, see the recharging time comparing your SB600 and YN460II, the intervals of the controls in the flash.

Personally I am a user of YongNuo flashes too. I'm one of the unique ones who downgraded from a Nissin Di622 to a YN560 because I shoot off camera and didn't get to use the TTL functions.

People, based on my opinion, if you plan to shoot off camera, this flash is worth for money !
But for events, you guys make consider the YN465 which has a TTL Functions and it is much easier to handle compare to a Manual Flash.

ok noted.. will take your suggestions into account. Wanna find a place to try-try...

I placed the flash out of line-of-sight with the D90's pop-up, and in both modes it was able to trigger. Very sensitive.
i have 1 of this too and tried both the optical slave modes and they worked as per specified. S2 left a particularly good impression in me as it ignored the TTL pre-flash from my 7D and fired off only when the main flash went off. :thumbsup:

i have 1 of this too and tried both the optical slave modes and they worked as per specified. S2 left a particularly good impression in me as it ignored the TTL pre-flash from my 7D and fired off only when the main flash went off. :thumbsup:
hi...i am using a 7D with a 430EXII currently.
Never really played with flash b4.

Typically i am using my pop-up flash in my 7D to trigger the 430EXII (IR i pressume).
Was wondering whether would this way trigger the YN460II as well as i believe the 460 has an optical slave function built in.
It should all work and save me some money on the triggers and receivers right?

Typically i am using my pop-up flash in my 7D to trigger the 430EXII (IR i pressume).
Was wondering whether would this way trigger the YN460II as well as i believe the 460 has an optical slave function built in.

Your 430ex can be the master, and asign the 460 mark II as a slave. Actually why not consider the YN 560, higher guide no., 58 which is a stronger unit.

the optical slave modes on the 460II should work fine if distance between the main flash and the 460II is not that big.

you can certainly use your 430EXII to trigger off the 460II, so no worries about that.

i have tried using a 580EXII to trigger off 2x 460IIs in a triangle formation with the subject in the middle:

ogkhfn.jpg

-Distances are of rough gauge
-580EXII mounted with radio trigger
-Left 460II was partly hidden behind a small wall
-Flashes were set up in a way that the left 460II had direct line of sight of the right 460II, and the right 460II had direct line of sight of the 580EXII
-In essence, the 580EXII triggered the right 460II which in turn triggered the left 460II

frankly speaking, considering the diagonal distances between the 580EXII and the 2x 460II, i was very satisfied with the yongnuo's performance even though there were instances of misses.

so, if you want higher percentage of hits over a larger distance between the flashes, it is wiser to go with radio triggers on all your flashes. :)

Last edited:
Slave mode for casual photograhy enthusiasts is pretty fine, but if one will to engage in a photoshoot, be it paid or not paid, best is to use radio triggers just in case anything goes wrong.

Radio triggers can fail too, especially low-cost MIC models. Sometimes it's heng/sway :bsmilie:
yes i agree. but comparing radio and optical, the former is more reliable.