Review - Flash - YongNuo YN-460

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
I believe many photographers out there, especially hobbyist and amateurs are extremely interested and amazed by what off-shoe lighting can do.

But more than often taken back by the cost of off-shoe strobes which can cost the same or even more than a lens that you own.

A lower cost alternative would be to use your speedlites such as the Nikon SB600/800/900 or Canon 430EX/580EX/580EX2, but these speedlites does not come cheap either, as they are packed with features such as iTTL/ETTL which might not be necessary for off-shoe lightings.

Today I'll be doing a Mini-Review on an inexpensive speedlite by YongNuo, the YongNuo Speedlite YN-460, one of the most basic speedlite in YongNuo's lineup.

MANUFACTURER SPECIFICATIONS

• Flash Index: 33
  • Circuit Design: IGBT
  • Up/down ward angle: 0-90 degree
  • Left/right angle: 0-270 degree
  • Power source: 4xAA batteries (Alkaline or Ni-MH)
  • Recycle Time: 5sec (with alkaline batteries)
  • Color Temperature: 5600K
  • Flash Duration: 1/800S - 1/20000S
  • Flash adjustment: (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64)
  • Dimensions: 72 x 135 x 85mm
  • Weight: 250g

4708673638_9df6d84a17.jpg

Parcel from YongNuo

CONTENTS

YongNuo ships the flash with the following content

• Box
  • Flash Unit wrapped in plastic
  • Flash Pouch
  • Flash Stand
  • Manuals
  • Diffuser Cap (IF PURCHASED FROM YONGNUO EBAY STORE)

4708673738_2e49f38c3e.jpg

The Box

4708673824_5c199be868.jpg

Content

BUILD

The flash united is made of plastic, and feel quite solid, given the price. The flash head seems abit stiff to turn at times, but not much of a big issue.
The pull out diffuser would seem to be the first to give way, as it feels flimsy.

4708673906_9b3bfeb5f8.jpg

YongNuo Speedlite YN-460

4708031473_f4ccb2c22f.jpg

YongNuo Speedlite YN-460

Last edited:
CONTROLS

The flash head is adjustment 0-90 degree up/downwards, and 0-270 left/right, and features a pull out reflector/diffuser as in most of the speedlites around.
There are no controls to zoom the flash head on this flash. This feature could be important to some, but being a basic flash, this is what was left out by YongNuo.
Do not be fooled by the front of the flash, which seems to feature AF-assist beam, this is a full manual flash, and when mounted on your SLR/DSLR, it will fire off manually with no communication with your camera. An optical receiver is hosted inside the translucent red compartment at the front, which makes the flash an optical slave if needed. Since optical slave works on line of sight, the placement of this receiver might cause a lot of inconvenience due to the position of the flash to be placed.

The control panel is located at the back of the flash unit, which hosts an ON/OFF button, MODE button, Pilot button, Power Up button, Power Down button.

• ON/OFF button - Turn the flash on/off
  • MODE button - Switch between M / S1 / S2 mode
  • Pilot button - Fire a test flash
  • Power Up button - Increase the power output of the flash
  • Power Down button - Decrease the power output of the flash

As mentioned by YongNuo, there are 7 power settings, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 and is shown on the LEDs at the control panel from left to right without any indication of the power value. An indication by YongNuo would be helpful. I've no means to tests the accuracy of the power output of the flash unit, but the outputs are pretty consistent.

4708674112_1f86dbdf36.jpg

The Controls

4708031699_084cbd139f.jpg

The Controls

4708031785_5c16d2b967.jpg

Pull out reflector/diffuser

4708674390_8cc7682181.jpg

Triggered by radio triggers (not included in the package)

OPERATION

The ON/OFF button needs to be held for 1Sec to power it ON/OFF.
It takes 9sec for the initial charge up, and 9sec after a full power output at 1/1.
Recharge of the flash when shot at 1/64 - 1/4 is almost instant.
There are no beep sound when the flash is ready, and this could be inconvenient, as most of the time, when used off-shoe, you will not be able to see the back of the flash to check for the GREEN/RED LED if the flash is ready to fire.

CONCLUSION

I'm rather pleased with the flash unit, given that it does it's job at around only $60SGD for a unit.
But here's an experience that I had with the flash to share.
I got 2 units of the YN-460, and one of the capacitor of one unit blew on my first shoot with it. The Flash was still able to power on, but will only fire at 1/1 no matter what setting you set it to.
YongNuo was quick to respond, ans requested that I send the unit back, and they would send me another one. YongNuo provides 1 Year warranty for flash units purchased directly from them.
I believe that there might be some QC problems, as a quick search on FLICKR, gives me some results that other users are experiencing the same DOA sets as well.

Who Should Buy?

• Hobbyist / Amateurs photographers looking to try out off-shoe lighting in an inexpensive way
  • Budget constraint photographers
  • Do not need to zoom the flash head
  • Do no need power output < 1/64

Who Should not Buy?
  • Power output < 1/64 is needed
  • Need to zoom the flash head
  • Prefers a more rugged flash unit
  • Needs a flash with PC-Sync connection
  • Heavy users on optical slaves
  • Need fast recharge time

Originally posted HERE

Last edited:
Good review.You should have bought the mark II version instead:)

thanks.
haha, didn't need the extra power adjustments, so save some $$ instead =x

anyway, bro, just fyi..I thot the Mark II was rather powerful and useful extra adjustment:)
nice review there...

Many thanks for the efforts to put up the reviews bro.

Thumbs up!

anyway, bro, just fyi..I thot the Mark II was rather powerful and useful extra adjustment:)
nice review there...

thanks,
i think it's one stop more powerful, and you can adjust the power by 1/3 of a stop as well

Many thanks for the efforts to put up the reviews bro.
Thumbs up!

thanks

HI, how do i get one of these units.
thanks=)

great review ! :thumbsup:

where to get it ? or which shop carries it ?

HI, how do i get one of these units.
thanks=)

great review ! :thumbsup:

where to get it ? or which shop carries it ?

i got mine direct from yougnuo ebay store, which is cheaper, but for warranty, you have pay for the shipping back to them.

Last edited:
good review :)

I got the mark II version too. So far , i am pretty happy with my flash

i got mine direct from yougnuo ebay store, which is cheaper, but for warranty, you have pay for the shipping back to them.

hi,

how much did u pay for the shipping ?

Hi,

Pls advice where can I buy the flash? :)

i've 2 YN460 II .. its a nice and cheap flash for both on & off cam ... i'll still nt sure how to use the S2 mode though ... :think:

Nice its great for beginners oso

was never much of a believer in using flash until I picked up a 460-II...... with the ability to manually tune it down to so many levels , the various fill in effects are awesome

good bang for the buck

was never much of a believer in using flash until I picked up a 460-II...... with the ability to manually tune it down to so many levels , the various fill in effects are awesome

good bang for the buck

so now u are a convert? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.