Review : a VERY Panoramic 24x108mm homemade camera

how about a hotshoe spirit level like this? http://jefflynchdev.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/bubble_level_blog.jpg?w=471&h=571 since there are 2 hotshoes mount.

just a little comment on images. While it is great to be able to look at the "wideness", the cropped mountain top kinda make me want to "pull the image down" to view the top of the mountain as well. Maybe a interchangeable lens that can capture a even wider and "taller" image? I am probably commenting on something I am not familiar with. Apologies for that.

With all that said, I still can't said enough how good the iq of the images are.

I figure that at 1:4 pano ratio, my option of composition is more limited. But I look at this as a pros rather than cons as it forces me to work harder on composition. Also this project camera is all about low cost entry into the world of pano film photography, hence I avoided the complexity of interchangeable lens system. But I feel that, at least personally, the attractiveness of pano format is that it gets my mind involved when looking at a picture, a bit like the "pull the image down" feeling that you have.

try white glue for the bubble. you can glaze the whole thing and it ll be very strong. just as long as it doesnt get wet it ll be find.

may i suggest, making your own lens hood? you can go to http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ and find one with the same angle of view, up or downsize it to fit the filter thread, paste the paper on black pvc sheet from artfriend and cut out the shape. then glue the plastic to an old filter ring(glass removed). use male-male reverse mount ring and you ll be able to flip it backward for storage on the lens itself!

Thanks for the lenshood mounting suggestions. I have thought of something similar but I figure that the modern twist and lock lenshood mechanism for SLR lenses is more practical as the alignment (am thinking of XPAN type of square lenshood) is guaranteed which is crucial to prevent vignetting.

Thanks for the lenshood mounting suggestions. I have thought of something similar but I figure that the modern twist and lock lenshood mechanism for SLR lenses is more practical as the alignment (am thinking of XPAN type of square lenshood) is guaranteed which is crucial to prevent vignetting.

Maybe you can DIY from something like this?

istockphoto_4802004-video-camera.jpg

Since you need the wide and not the height, this kind of rectangular hood for video camera can be modded and fitted into your lens with a step down ring if you cannot find the right filter size. Just a suggestion:D

:thumbsup: Impressive....U should pattern your idea....who knows someday someone will offer you 24m for the job well done :thumbsup:

Kudos and all kudos! The images from YPAN are great! This is a DIY project made possible and successful. You have done yourself proud :thumbsup:!

May I know the success rate vs failure rate of shots from your YPAN?

Since I mostly shoot landscape with this camera, infinity focus is fine, especially the shooting aperture is normally f/16 or smaller. Example of nearer subjects would be the Red Temple Door picture. I have calibrated the focusing helicoid at 6m, 3m and 1.5m for such instances.
Noted.

I figure that at 1:4 pano ratio, my option of composition is more limited. But I look at this as a pros rather than cons as it forces me to work harder on composition. Also this project camera is all about low cost entry into the world of pano film photography, hence I avoided the complexity of interchangeable lens system. But I feel that, at least personally, the attractiveness of pano format is that it gets my mind involved when looking at a picture, a bit like the "pull the image down" feeling that you have.

this is another perspective to view it.
Hope to see more of your work using this camera.
Thank you for answering to my queries.