Reversing Lens for Macro usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi:

I would like to find out from the experts here what adpater must we get to reverse a lens to use it as a macro lens? Any specific brands of adpaters and if possible the rough cost. May I know can I use my 30-80mm lens in this manner?

Also, I would like to enquire about extension ring? Any recommendations?

Thank you very very much.

What body are you using? If you want to reverse mount the lens, what you are after is called a lens reversal ring such as the Nikon BR-2A for the Nikon bodies for example. Have a look at this page for an idea of what it is and how it is attached.

Hi Szen...
How much does this reversing ring cost?

And why only standard and wide angle lens you recommend for this ring? Can't I use 70-300 lens, let say?

what about for Canon?

Originally posted by castor
Hi:

I would like to find out from the experts here what adpater must we get to reverse a lens to use it as a macro lens?

B&H sells them for about $8 US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh6.sph...__Aproductlist_html***81924***GBMC49***REG***

I guess you can also buy two step-up/down adapters and glue them back to back.

edit:
For some reason, the URL above does not show up. Anyways, you can go to http://www.bhphoto.com and search for "macro coupler" or B&H Catalog # GBMC49.

2.8:1 magnification... wow!

US$280... OW!

Originally posted by popeye
Hi Szen...
How much does this reversing ring cost?
And why only standard and wide angle lens you recommend for this ring? Can't I use 70-300 lens, let say?

The Nikon reversal ring will cost approx. $50, I think. This is from a direct conversion from british pounds. You might need to ask around in the S'pore shops or even Nikon S'pore for their pricelist. Nikon should have an official pricelist for all to see.

As for the use of standard and wide-angle lenses, you won't be able to get a long focal length lens to resolve the image when it is reversed. For general infomation, here is a list of some Nikkor lenses and associated magnification when mounted normal (closest focusing distance) and in reverse...

MF 20mm f/2.8 AIS
normal - 0.1x
reverse - 3.5x

AF 28mm f/2.8
normal - 0.1x (1:10)
reverse - 2.1x (2.1:1)

MF 35mm f/2.8 AIS
normal - 0.2x (1:5)
reverse - 1.65x (1.65:1)

AF 50mm f/1.4D
normal - 0.2x (1:5)
reverse - 1.0x (1:1)

AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor
normal - 1.0x (1:1)
reverse - 0.7x (1:1.4)
reverse - 0.9x (1:1.1) (at infinity)

AF 35-70mm f/2.8D Zoom (with "macro" capabilities)
35mm normal - 0.3x (1:3.3)
35mm reverse - 2.7x (2.7:1)
35mm reverse - 2.35x (2.35:1) (at infinity)

70mm normal - 0.1x (1:10)
70mm reverse - 0.5x (1:2)

Status
Not open for further replies.