Reusing lenses(from analogue camera) on a digital camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nivle

presently i have a minolta SLR with a 49mm thread AF zoom lens.

my question is, if next time i change to a DSLR, can i still use the same zoom lens on the DSLR as long as the thread diameter match up?

but mionlta don't have a dslr now and the mounting will be different if you get a different brand.

Originally posted by nivle
presently i have a minolta SLR with a 49mm thread AF zoom lens.

my question is, if next time i change to a DSLR, can i still use the same zoom lens on the DSLR as long as the thread diameter match up?

Hang on. When you said the thread diameter, I assume you meant the filter thread which is in the front? That has nothing to do with mounting the lens onto another body at all. Its just the thread that accepts filters and some accessories.

If Minolta does comes out with a DSLR that uses the same LENS MOUNT as it SLRS(which is extremely stupid not to), I don't see any problems with compatibility issues.

oh, sorry, i din know that the 49 mm thread thingy is meant for filter and accessories only..

anyway, since u mentioned the mount

can u let me know which type of mount minolta uses?

and as a quick comparison, can u also let me know which mount other brands/models uses too?

eg. canon, sony, nikon, etc

thanks.

guess i was really very dumb to have said those stuffs on the first post..

oh, sorry, i din know that the 49 mm thread thingy is meant for filter and accessories only..

anyway, since u mentioned the mount

can u let me know which type of mount minolta uses?

and as a quick comparison, can u also let me know which mount other brands/models uses too?

eg. canon, sony, nikon, etc

thanks.

guess i was really very dumb to have said those stuffs on the first post..

I'm not familiar with Minolta so don't know what they named their mount. Companies make mounts which are unique in their own ways. Newer Nikons has F mounts on them. Canon has the EF mounts. Sony doesn't make SLRs. Mounts refer to the contacts between the lens and bodies. If you're using a new Minolta body, chances of the lens compatible to future DSLR(if they ever make one) would be higher.

Originally posted by ninelives
Minolta is using 'A' mount.

Minolta got at least 2 mounts, the "A" which you mentioned for the Dynax/Maxxum, and the "MD" for the older X300, X370, X700 etc manual SLRs. Also got the Vectis mount, dunno whether same as "A" or not.

Regards
CK

My hamster escaped from her
cage, climbed the computer table, ran across the keyboard and
accidently hit keys that wrote:

if memory serve me right, Canon got 3 types of mount, Nikon got 2.

Right?

Originally posted by ninelives
My hamster escaped from her
cage, climbed the computer table, ran across the keyboard and
accidently hit keys that wrote:

if memory serve me right, Canon got 3 types of mount, Nikon got 2.

Right?

As far as I remember, (if I am not wrong) Nikon has always been "F" mount. Canon is FD or EOS. Pentax has always been "K", Leica either "M", "R" or screw.

Regards
CK

nikon has always been F, bayonet mount... but this F got a lot of variations for manual, AF, usm, etc etc...

the 49mm on the face of them lens is the diameter of the filters and accessories..

so far dun think minolta has a _modern_ DSLR yet...

well u can always buy the tokina multimount lenses...

Originally posted by mpenza
but mionlta don't have a dslr now and the mounting will be different if you get a different brand.

how about their dimage series?

ermm.. aren't they minolta?
or did i get something wrong?

how about their dimage series?

ermm.. aren't they minolta?
or did i get something wrong?

the dimage series are not digital SLRs, just consumer/prosumer digital cameras, which do not have interchangeable lens so you can't use the lens from your minolta film SLR.

Each brand tends to use its own proprietary lens mount, hence unless you use a special adaptor you will only be able to fit a Minolta lens on a Minolta camera, and so on. The names are largely irrelevant but have already been gone into to a reasonable extent above. The exception being certain lens mounts that are common through more than one manufacturer, an example being the Leica M42.

Nikon has TBK ever had one lens mount, called the F bayonet mount.

Canon has FD and EF.

Pentax has had K mounts and screw mount lenses as well.

Denizenx, I really don't know what you are talking about. A lens mount is a lens mount, end of discussion. And AFAIK Nikon have never had a lens mount for a USM lens.

hi, not true.
F mount is the physical shape but the electrical contacts are diff. eg Manual lenses dun have them, the advanced AF-S(name?) canNOT work on cheap bodies fully, and the USM is a short form for Silent Wave (kinda like President's procession).. which is MY mistake cos I think it's the IS-copycat that's incompatible.

meanwhile EF mounts work same which body u have, barring the weirdo EF-M(anual).

As for the universal mount, oops my fault. It's a system for MF lenses by Tamron, re-sold (I think) by Vivitar.
try this at tamron USA choose 35mm Adaptall

So try to confirm when google.com is at such short disposal.

Originally posted by denizenx
hi, not true.
F mount is the physical shape but the electrical contacts are diff. eg Manual lenses dun have them, the advanced AF-S(name?) canNOT work on cheap bodies fully, and the USM is a short form for Silent Wave (kinda like President's procession).. which is MY mistake cos I think it's the IS-copycat that's incompatible.

meanwhile EF mounts work same which body u have, barring the weirdo EF-M(anual).

As for the universal mount, oops my fault. It's a system for MF lenses by Tamron, re-sold (I think) by Vivitar.
try this at tamron USA choose 35mm Adaptall

So try to confirm when google.com is at such short disposal.

No intention to start a flame war, but I must correct something here.

1. F mount is F mount, regardless of whether it's a NAI, AI, AI-S, AI-P, AF-I, AF, AF-S or AF-G or whatever lens variant. It's still F mount. If you look at the specs of Nikon cameras from the old Nikon F, FM, FE, etc all teh way to the F5, D1X, D100 etc, it says "F mount". Whether the lens can be used on the camera fully is the camera's problem.

2. USM is not a short form for Silent Wave. Lenses with Silent Wave motors have the "AF-S" designation. The "S" there stands for "SilentWave".

3. "EF mounts work same which body u have" - True - this has been debated to death. But then, it's still not quite "across the board" or at least "to some extent" compatible across the Canon system. You can't use FD lenses on EOS bodies, for example. But you can use say, an AI-S lens on an F5. Or an AF-S lens on a FM2 (obviously no AF but at least the lens can be used). The incompatibilities arose from Nikon producing lower cost consumer-type bodies which lack these compatibility "features". Nevertheless, you can still use AI-S lenses on say a F65 if you are willing to lose the metering. You can't do likewise across FD and EOS systems, or the Minolta Dynax and MD systems.

Regards
CK

CK, forget it. Seriously. The way this is headed is blatantly into another brand thing. They say ignorance is bliss, so be it. These 10 days are going to be absolutely stupid for me work wise, but once I can sit down for a moment's quiet, I fully intend to pursue that thing I discussed with the two of you last night or the night before (morning your time). I've just about had it up to here...

yeah sticking to the point.
ckiang, I not taking any offence, in fact.
but it's not a brand thing, I'm not rooting for Canon, if that's what you think. In fact I like minolta more, for its flash system.
But isn't FD and EF different mounts altogether, physically, electrically?
yeah I said Silent Wave is the USM parallel... hehe shorter to type than Silent Wave, which sounds like a PS2 game...
flame wars is when u start making comments instead of disputing the "facts" and opinions... (ccv)

anyway u can flame me all you like LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.