Return your crockery and utensils at restaurants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First get the design and better space planning in hawker centers right before event considering this.

Friend of mine used to say: "You know how much places like MacDonalds is charging me for a sandwich? I won't help them save more money by clearing the trays. I already paid for it."

I do clear my trays, but not all places have tray stations available.

dinning in at top restaurants is paying premium for dinning experience, that including the food, customers service and ambience. So you can't expect customers to return their crockery there.

for fast food restaurants, food courts, and hawker centers, we don't pay so much compare to
top restaurants.
since customers bring their own food to the tables, so customers should to bring
crockery and utensils the tray stations themselves after their meals.

Friend of mine used to say: "You know how much places like MacDonalds is charging me for a sandwich? I won't help them save more money by clearing the trays. I already paid for it."

you should stop associate with people like them, all they care is only...

"You know how much places like MacDonalds is charging me for a sandwich? I won't help them save more money by clearing the trays. I already paid for it."

Does it really need Swedish Foreign Talents who show Singaporeans how easy it can be to clear trays..? :)

i ate at amsterdam airport's food court,and everyone there returned their own trays and plates
we probably just need to make it a habit

Top restaurants charges you 10% service charge, do you think any customers would still want to clear their own table?

Extracted from:It's clean up after yourself at new hawker centres

Food guru KF Seetoh thinks that tray-clearing initiatives should be implemented not just because there are not enough cleaners.
He maintained: "It should be a matter of civic-mindedness."

Ms Phua also thinks that clearing your own tray is a matter of graciousness.
She said: "For me, the most compelling reason is that many of the cleaners are low-skilled with little alternative work options, and could be elderly or even disabled.
"They deserve to work in a more conducive setting, not having to pick up the food remains and used utensils of patrons."

So if we pay 10% we do not need to be "civic-minded" or "gracious."

Also what are the career alternatives for cleaners?

you should stop associate with people like them, all they care is only...

"You know how much places like MacDonalds is charging me for a sandwich? I won't help them save more money by clearing the trays. I already paid for it."

Bump into him once in a blue moon. Anyway, this same funny guy told me he was at a ministerial conversation session, and he launched into all sorts of complains (yes, he super complain king). The minister then ask him "instead of complaining, do you have any constructive suggestions?" In front of so many people, he told the minister off "no I don't but it is not my job to come up with solutions - that's your job. Pay you guys so much for what?"

Bump into him once in a blue moon. Anyway, this same funny guy told me he was at a ministerial conversation session, and he launched into all sorts of complains (yes, he super complain king). The minister then ask him "instead of complaining, do you have any constructive suggestions?" In front of so many people, he told the minister off "no I don't but it is not my job to come up with solutions - that's your job. Pay you guys so much for what?"

Aiyoh, got photo of his face taken or not, can put big big as the icon of typical Singkaporean!!

With due respect, for RESTAURAUNTS in all my years (including little ramen restauraunts in Japan) , I have not seen a restauraunt where we had to clear our own plates and silverware

then might as well lay the tablecloth, chopsticks, bowls, plate and wet towels and collect my own soup, appetizer, main course and dessert

IMHO I think its also insulting to the waiters and sommeliers if we do that (especially in the US) .... could put alot of people out of work too

Clearing of one's own food and trays imho is for FOOD COURTs and fast food joints where turnover of patrons is high and seating capacity is free for all and no waiters to serve you .... and left behind trays and plates/bowls TAKE UP CAPACITY and WASTE TIME for those waiting for a cleaner to clear up before they next to sit down and eat

Ha ha ha how about promoting a "Clear OTHER PEOPLE's Trays and Plates" drive ?

Last edited:

I think your friend has a point.

quite funny isn't it?

soon, Singapore would be the only country in the world where you pay $200 for a small steak and have to bust the plates at the cleaning area :bsmilie:

how would you like to host a dinner at top restaurants, then proceed to tell your guests from overseas that they have to clean and clear the plates themselves?

Also... Singaporeans are not pro-active enough to clear their own trays. i ever heard this once at Macs:

Mum telling her kids "Don't need to clear the tray! that is what the cleaner is paid to do. must remember to study hard, or else you'll be like them"

:bsmilie:

typical.

no wonder our social graces are going to shite.

With due respect, for RESTAURAUNTS in all my years (including little ramen restauraunts in Japan) , I have not seen a restauraunt where we had to clear our own plates and silverware

Agree. So far in all my years I only needed to clear my own plates at Army Cookhouse and highly subsidiized (half-price) company canteens.

Ha ha ha how about promoting a "Clear OTHER PEOPLE's Trays and Plates" drive ?

This is an excellent suggestion.

was at one of the "clear your own table" hawker center, stall owner tell me: don't clear, later the cleaners out of work. :dunno:

simple solution,
install a speaker, flashing light and siren above every tables,

it plays a thank you voice message in four official languages when patrons clearing their crockery and utensils when they leave the tables. :)

but flashing light and siren will went off if they didn't clear it. :devil:

was at one of the "clear your own table" hawker center, stall owner tell me: don't clear, later the cleaners out of work. :dunno:
if every customers clear their own crockery and utensils
the cleaners just need to wipe every tables, chair and keep the place clean is more than enough.

everyone will have better and cleaner place to dine.

When our unemployment rate increase, maybe the government will start another campaign to ask people to leave their plates behind. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.