Restrictions on shooting with off cam flashes/diffusers in public places?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaBuzzed

May 27, 2008
I am planning to do a fun shoot of a bunch of my friends in a park or public area next weekend using 2 off camera flashes (perhaps with an umbrella on one). Are there any restrictions on doing this? Is it illegal?

Any experiences to share?

nope, should be fine in public places, just take care not to obstruct passageways and such.. And weigh down the lightstand if you're using an umbrella, it a big wind catcher outdoors..

Generally no, unless your set-up poses an obstruction/hazard to members of the public.

However, at some parks/publically accessible places where commercial photography/film/movie making requires prior written permission ... some set-ups may be interpreted by staff/guards to be 'pro' so therefore must be for commercial purposes. Go figure.

Thanks guys. Will see how it goes then and deliberately look as 'non-pro' as possible hehe :)

Have a look at NParks website, print out the rules. Once case you meet an overly eager park ranger just show the rules and ask him which one he refers to. And get his name :)

Have a look at NParks website, print out the rules. Once case you meet an overly eager park ranger just show the rules and ask him which one he refers to. And get his name :)

DITTO this.

As much as it's easy to point fingers and 'bang table', approaching situations as they arise in a civil, well-mannered and level-headed way goes a long way ... especially where then written word is produced. :bsmilie:

The problem is ... still being able to convince the rangers or whoever that you're not a pro on a commercial shoot.

I recall once being asked to stop taking snapshots of my casually-dressed family outside a shopping center because they thought I was taking professional pictures. I asked them what makes them think I'm a pro on an assignment when I was shooting family snapshots, and the friendly girl from Citibank said because my camera looks pro. So I asked her does that mean I'm a professional race car driver if I drive a big and fast car? *FAINT*

Last edited:

EXCELLENT Idea !

Looks like photography is fine. Some parks require permits for commercial shoots by the looks of it on the websites but anything that is not profit oriented seems to be ok.

http://faolex.fao.org/docs/pdf/sin53511.pdf -for anyone interested.

EXCELLENT Idea !

Looks like photography is fine. Some parks require permits for commercial shoots by the looks of it on the websites but anything that is not profit oriented seems to be ok.

Looks to me 4.(2)(b) might be use to allow the park ranger to loosely interpret it as he sees fit.

[P. 5] 4(2)(b) prohibited the carrying on of any activity which, in the Commissioner’s opinion, may endanger or cause discomfort or inconvenience to other users of the national park, nature reserve or public park,

EXCELLENT Idea !

I have check with botanic garden before, photographers can shoot family or wedding portrait there (paid job), as long the set up is very simple. and I have done that many times, no problem at all.

but even you are shooting TFCD for XMMs at the park, with using off camera flashes and reflectors, any auntie or ah soh will think that is 电视台在拍戏. NPark will think this is a commercial production, and require permits.

it is not about the money part, is how the way the shoot being conduct.

Pleased to report that it all went smoothly. I was shooting at esplanade park. In fact there were others doing the same thing as well. Nobody approached and asked anything though bystanders looked curiously at what was going on hehe.

Pleased to report that it all went smoothly. I was shooting at esplanade park. In fact there were others doing the same thing as well. Nobody approached and asked anything though bystanders looked curiously at what was going on hehe.

Sounds good. I'm always puzzled when Park Ranger poke his nose into simple, quiet and obvious things like photo shootings and start blabber about rules when the family just nearby shows a tremendous amount of creativity in making noise and rubbish.

You are free to shoot!! Just be sure whatever you do is not in the obstruction of any traffic or people.:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.