Restoring an old SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayTee705

Jun 30, 2005
Can anyone recommend a reputable shop for restoring and CLAing old SLRs? In this case, a Canon FTb circa late 1970s vintage?

I "borrowed" this camera from my mother for my first flirtation with film in the early 1980s. Since the mid 80s, it's been sitting in storage in the US along with some Olympus SLR kit that she also used.

For some reason, I'm keen to shoot with the FTb -- it's an all metal, 100% manual camera that's a far cry from the latest digital doodad that I shoot with now. The camera has more sentimental than real value, but I'm willing to put some cash into it as long as I end up with a real shooter.

Cheers,

JT

Try Steven at the Camera Hospital, Sunshine Plaza on Bencoolen Street.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was under the impression Canon would not service a quarter century old camera, but I will check with them too!

haha. 1970s. wow. it still works? i just sent in my dad's dinosaur the EOS650. 1987. first fully auto SLR produced by canon with EF mount. they still took it in and serviced it for me :)

madmacs said:
canon doesnt even have af/m switch for my 15yr old 28-70 f3.5-4.5 :(

You'll probably have a better chance at Steven's (Camera Hospital). I got my dad's F2A done there. Good luck! :)

Yup, as I said earlier, Steven at the Camera Hospital. My 26 year old Nikon FE is being serviced by him right now...

koalabear said:
You'll probably have a better chance at Steven's (Camera Hospital). I got my dad's F2A done there. Good luck! :)

hehe..my lens now permanent af...unless use screwdriver to flip the switch ;p

Well, I just shot a roll and the camera seems to work as well as I remember--even after having sat untouched for years and years. I guess that's the benefit of leaving it in a temperate, non-humid environment. (Found it stuffed in a shoebox in a closet...) I'll check it some more, but, in any case, I will still likely treat it to a CLA once returning to Singapore.

Cheers

JT

Depending on what servicing you need, Canon may not touch your FT... they'll gladly change light-seals etc., but they won't have the parts anymore for any major replacements. I get my Canon A1 serviced at P&G at Adelphi, David's pretty good with old-camera CLAs, in fact, my A1's in there now getting tooled up. If you need parts, though, I doubt you'll be able to find anything out there, not without cannibalizing some other camera.

JayTee705 said:
Can anyone recommend a reputable shop for restoring and CLAing old SLRs? In this case, a Canon FTb circa late 1970s vintage?

I "borrowed" this camera from my mother for my first flirtation with film in the early 1980s. Since the mid 80s, it's been sitting in storage in the US along with some Olympus SLR kit that she also used.

For some reason, I'm keen to shoot with the FTb -- it's an all metal, 100% manual camera that's a far cry from the latest digital doodad that I shoot with now. The camera has more sentimental than real value, but I'm willing to put some cash into it as long as I end up with a real shooter.

Cheers,

JT

My camera Pentax K2 SLR bought in 1974($800) still work fine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.